Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 PM

160 posts, read 384,796 times

Advertisements

this old guy I know. I believe he has dementia and he told me a local newspaper is going to interview him tomorrow about his service. I know he was in the Korean War because of the discharge papers. But he makes up so many stories. He told me he was a 18 sergeant and sniper. He was a Ranger, a Green Beret. And then he was in the OSS stopping the black marketers. And then now he tells me he wasn't in the OSS. And now he tells me he has 3 battle stars.
When they interview him and he tells all this stuff aren't you suppose to show proof? and what are battle stars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
this old guy I know. I believe he has dementia and he told me a local newspaper is going to interview him

When they interview him and he tells all this stuff aren't you suppose to show proof? and what are battle stars?
If he has dementia, he might have his facts confused...

Who is "When they interview him"? Why would a local newspaper show proof? If they have a good reporter he might get some real facts. If they send a reporter who can't find his own buttocks with both hands and has no clue of the different between an Airman, Coast Guardsman, Marine, Sailor or Soldier, then who know what they will do...

A service star is a miniature metal device worn by members of the uniformed services of the United States on medals and ribbons issued by the uniformed services to denote additional awards or periods of service. Depending on the award and the manner in which they are used, they may also be referred to as campaign stars or battle stars.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-13-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 01:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
In the context I believe the old man is using, they are stars that go on a campaign medal to denote participation in a designated action or campaign.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
In the context I believe the old man is using, they are stars that go on a campaign medal to denote participation in a designated action or campaign.
That's what I said and the web page shows some examples:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

A service star is a miniature metal device worn by members of the uniformed services of the United States on medals and ribbons issued by the uniformed services to denote additional awards or periods of service. Depending on the award and the manner in which they are used, they may also be referred to as campaign stars or battle stars.

Read more here: Service star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2014, 11:35 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I didn't know posts after yours were prohibited.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Any one who fought in Korea whether American, British or from any other allied unit gets a big thumbs up from me no matter how many stars they have.

Battle at Imjin River, Korea - April 1951

Battle of the Imjin River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC News - Korean War veterans remember Battle of Imjin River

Making a heroic last stand for the Glorious Glosters - Telegraph

Last edited by Bamford; 03-16-2014 at 05:00 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I didn't know posts after yours were prohibited.
They aren't. I never said that. I never implied that. I don't know who you replied to or what you already saw. Please stay on topic.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-16-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times
I also know a Marine that claims he was a corporal . He now says he was a sergeant . He claims he has received three battle stars . I never cabn get him to show his DD214 . He is active in several Marine organizations and often tells people unbeleivable war stories. He donates Lots of money to the organizations. This is a good thing but nobody questions him because of his large donations and long speeches as he self promotes being a war hero. He claims to have served three years in the Marine Corps .
Never found any proofof combat service .
He surrounds himself with many high ranking retired officers , including Generals . He donates so much money that he is in contacy with Gen Kelly and Maddis.
I respect our armed forces and thise who served. I really skeptical of one who can make these claims without merit

Old 04-12-2019, 09:48 PM

703 posts, read 612,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressog View Post
I also know a Marine that claims he was a corporal . He now says he was a sergeant . He claims he has received three battle stars . I never cabn get him to show his DD214 . He is active in several Marine organizations and often tells people unbeleivable war stories. He donates Lots of money to the organizations. This is a good thing but nobody questions him because of his large donations and long speeches as he self promotes being a war hero. He claims to have served three years in the Marine Corps .
Never found any proofof combat service .
He surrounds himself with many high ranking retired officers , including Generals . He donates so much money that he is in contacy with Gen Kelly and Maddis.
I respect our armed forces and thise who served. I really skeptical of one who can make these claims without merit

Read about Chief Master Sgt Spenser Dukes. Lied. Faked up everything for years and had them eating out of his hand. The Establishment types just love to adopt and fall all over these people even more than the general public.

I met one of the other Chiefs mentioned in the article. Didn't impress me much

US-Japan Dialogue on POWs

Old 04-30-2019, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times
Can Marine at 17 years old make Sargent in three years ? This soldier claims he went in the service at 17 years old . Joined the Marines and went to Koreaa and fought for 1 year and left two years later as a Sargent .is it possible to make Sargent in 3 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues