Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM

140 posts, read 267,083 times

Advertisements

Because of my former addiction I was disqualified from Navy and Coast Guard. I want to serve my country and I love being on the ocean. I live close to the Merchant Marine Academy here in NY. Until I was told about it, I did not know that the MM was still a thing because it sounds quite historical.

Can someone tell me what it is actually like? I want to learn more. I am a college graduate with a minor in military science just because I was interested. Does anyone have any experience in the MM? I'm 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 01:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Federal Academies usually require entry because of congressional nomination. Get a hold of the catalog and see what they are asking for now, both in nomination and academics. Federal academies are also a 24/7 regimental military life where in the first year at least, a lot of upper classmen and tactical officers are laying down a lot of garbage on a person, regardless of their age and background.

The goal, merchant marine wise, is to come out with merchant license, either 3rd engineer or 3rd officer. This required, back in the late 70's when I was looking at it, 300 days of at sea experience and passing of very grueling, days long academic boards. Getting the degree out of the USMMA was just, as hard as it was (because among other things, one is pushing a 4 year degree into around 3 years because of the 300 days at sea on commercial ships), a side point.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
See if the Military Sealift Command (MSC) will hire you.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:14 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Check this out:

Paul Hall Center

Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
Because of my former addiction I was disqualified from Navy and Coast Guard. I want to serve my country and I love being on the ocean. I live close to the Merchant Marine Academy here in NY. Until I was told about it, I did not know that the MM was still a thing because it sounds quite historical.

Can someone tell me what it is actually like? I want to learn more. I am a college graduate with a minor in military science just because I was interested. Does anyone have any experience in the MM? I'm 22.
My brother went there and they only offer two engineering degrees and groom towards getting a naval reserve commission. If you already have a degree, I doubt they would accept. Their admission practices are identical to other academies.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post

Overview

To be eligible to enter the Academy, you must:
  • Be at least 17 years of age and must not have passed your 25th birthday before July 1 in the year of entrance.
  • Be a citizen of the United States either by birth or naturalization, except for a limited number of international midshipmen specially authorized by Congress.
  • Meet the physical, security and character requirements necessary for appointment as U.S. Naval Reserve, Merchant Marine Reserve midshipmen.
  • Obtain a Congressional nomination to the Academy; submit a completed application; and qualify scholastically.
  • Be of good moral character.
Eligibility | U.S. Merchant Marine Academy

__________________________________________________ ___________

If you were disqualified from the Navy, you are disqualified from the MMA.

Previous college degree does NOT preclude you from attending. The disqualification does. It's virtually the same medical exam as for active service, because it actually IS considered active service.

Any service academy is difficult to get into, but it's difficult in a way that's hard to describe unless you personally know someone who's gone through the nomination and acceptance process.

They are not looking for the 4.0+ valedictorian who can't do a pushup, or the starting football guy who has held no leadership roles, or the student body president who can't pass algebra. In a normal university they could take someone with some minor weaknesses.

Additionally, there is the confounding factor of needing a nomination in most cases. Each elected official with nomination authority puts together a list of their candidates, #1...N (or in some rare cases, "Academy, you go ahead and rank these") and sends it up. The consolidated list is then integrated and candidates are considered for admission-but if someone is ahead of you on that list and that was the only open slot for your official, you're most likely out of luck.

In a service academy, IDEALLY they want someone who is all that, PLUS they impress their appointing authority enough to put them on the list somewhere (hopefully #1..some #2s and #3s go, and some #1s don't get accepted, but the higher the candidate on that individual list, the better the chances). New York is one of the most viciously competitive states to get an appointment.

At a minimum they want a very well-rounded individual, *pretty* good at everything, with hopefully one or two peaks of brilliance: the 3.8, team captain in 3 varsity sports, student body treasurer. The concept is called the "whole person" concept-every university follows it a little, service academies follow it *aggressively*.

Not coincidentally, ROTC looks for the same thing, especially for scholarship students. It's better to be a little good at everything than a one-trick pony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues