Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 555 times

Advertisements

I am currently in training to be a 1C1 for the USAF. I’m towards the end of my training but I’m not too hot in the tower aspect of ATC. I’ve thought about the possibility failing out and have looked at other forums and sources but those only go so far to helping my case. I was wondering what would likely happen if I washout. I mean everything. Chance of separation, possible retraining options if any, what I would be eligible to retrain into. I didn’t really know what to expect from ATC and think I want something a little more hands on. Special Missions Aviation is probably the one I’d want to retrain into if I fail, would want to know if that’s an option. I’m not trying to fail out, just looking for some ease of mind here for a new Airman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
No one here can help you answer these questions with total accuracy. Some people who fail training are kicked out of the Air Force completely. Otherwise, you'll go into whatever is open... think maintenance or security forces as likely.

Whether they keep you in the Air Force depends on the recommendations of your instructions, and why you failed. If they see 100% effort, no disciplinary issues, and favorable recommendations from your leadership, you're likely to stay. If they suspect that you intentionally failed, or you've been in a lot of trouble, you're likely to be separated.

When you fail a technical training, you retain little control over what AFSC you go into. It is completely dependent on what you're qualified for (a lot if you qualified for 1C1), but also what technical training has openings soon. They're not going to let you sit around for 6 months waiting for a seat to open up in a certain job when security forces has openings every week. Special Missions Aviation is a relatively small career field with relatively few technical training classes and is unlikely to have an open seat.

Talk with your MTL, first sergeant, etc, and get a picture of what the normal course of action is. Anything on this forum is subject to being out of date or inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues