Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

All those charges were when I was 17-18. Me and my friend took his moms car, she called the cops thinking it was stolen, when we actually had it. I’m common law married. As for my credit it. It’s decent to say the least. I’ve never financed anything to until recently I had zero credit but I’m now currently trying to build my credit. Got out of jail when I was 19. 22 now. No trouble with the police. Working hard. Building my credit. Trying to support my two children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 06:36 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Good luck, I agree you probably need to try the Army. Any chance you can get the felony expunged or downgraded?

Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 11,198,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
oldsoldier is dead on, but dmarie123 can give you really good input regarding the Air Force.

I'd personally say Army is your best chance. They missed their recruiting goal last year and would probably be welcoming.

Just make sure it's what you want to do. The military isn't for everyone and those 4 years can take forever if you hate it. Don't mind being told what to do? Literally ever moment of the working day.

Look for an ASVAB practice test. This will determine what you get offered in the way of jobs. Score low and guarantee a combat arms job. Which isn't bad. I loved tanks. Just make sure it's for you.

Have family and kids? The Army talks like they care about your family, and some units truly do. But the mission always comes first and your family second. ALWAYS!
I know in the worst middle of W's Forever Wars the Army and probably others were taking extremely questionable people, gang affiliations etc., as recruiting became very difficult if you thought you were going on four or five rotations in futility. They burned the military up, not once but several times.

So recruiting goals, a good work history, taking responsibility, no gangsta or other ne'er-do-well affiliations or other bad actors buzzing around recently, those are plusses.

Just be straight, OP. It's like the cops on LivePD and Cops say, just be straight with me, that will go a long way in how this turns out. (Unless there's a pound of meth in the trunk. All bets are off then.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Good luck, I agree you probably need to try the Army. Any chance you can get the felony expunged or downgraded?
Good idea.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
From: https://helpforfelons.org/felony-expungement-sealing/

Quote:
Most states limit the types of felony charges and convictions that can be expunged. Typically, violent felonies, sex offenses, and other serious crimes including weapons charges cannot be expunged. However, this varies from state to state. Additionally, some states do not permit the expungement of felony convictions.

My experiences:
Some "expunged" records are not really wiped away... The arrest may be a recorded event which does not disappear. The outcome may or may not be available for review...

Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 PM

39,259 posts, read 27,661,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishfulhoping View Post
I’m interested in joining the military. I’m ready for a career. I’m 22 and work in construction. I’ve been doing this since I was 15 and know that It’s not the job I want to have forever. The problem is that I have a criminal record with 1 felony for unauthorized use of a vehicle and 3 misdemeanors, one for assault and two for evading arrest (one was dismissed but it is still public record). Is it possible for me to get a waiver and join or will I automatically be disqualified?
I'd talk to as many recruiters as possible from all branches, if one recruiter doesn't work with you, try another recruiter from another city/county whatever. If the recruiter has endless squeaky clean PT studs to work with, he/she probably won't waste time with you, but if the recruiter has problems meeting the quota, she /he probably will work with you.

i have no answers, except, talk to as many recruiters as possible from all branches. Good luck! There are several people on youtube posted their experiences (had a felony, and got accepted by the army), so it looks like there is hope.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-23-2019 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 02:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,340,831 times
Quote:
All those charges were when I was 17-18. Me and my friend took his moms car, she called the cops thinking it was stolen, when we actually had it. I’m common law married. As for my credit it. It’s decent to say the least. I’ve never financed anything to until recently I had zero credit but I’m now currently trying to build my credit. Got out of jail when I was 19. 22 now. No trouble with the police. Working hard. Building my credit. Trying to support my two children.
OK, great news on the vehicle theft. That's not the same as someone that hotwire's a stranger's car for parts. You're single, unless you can provide a marriage certificate, as far as the military is concerned. Are you interested in making it official?
Credit SCORE doesn't matter, it can be 0. If you do not have late payments/collections, you'll be fine.

Some good news here.

Talk to a recruiter in real life. There may be hope.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,101,323 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OK, great news on the vehicle theft. That's not the same as someone that hotwire's a stranger's car for parts. You're single, unless you can provide a marriage certificate, as far as the military is concerned. Are you interested in making it official?
Credit SCORE doesn't matter, it can be 0. If you do not have late payments/collections, you'll be fine.

Some good news here.

Talk to a recruiter in real life. There may be hope.
dmarie123 is right here. The circumstances are not dire. Check with the court system to see if you can get it expunged first. Check on the link Poncho_NM posted here to begin. I wouldn't waste too much time on that because it could take some time. Talk to the recruiters they might be able to help. Especially the army and marines. These two branches have taken in recruits like you and me for centuries. The reason is simple. Sometimes good people make stupid mistakes when they are young especially. I didn't have a felony but I was before a judge at 18 for malicious mischief when he told me to do something else with my life or he would be seeing more of me. I didn't want that so I joined the army.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,715,104 times
I was going nowhere at a million miles an hour. The Army was the smartest thing I ever did.

dmarie123, would this guy have a real shot at the Air Force? Maybe with a really good ASVAB?

OP, your custody with the kids will weigh on your situation in the military. Find the recruiter in the station who is short on quota. They'll be the one willing to do the leg work to get you in. But, as I said earlier, start looking at the practice ASVAB. A crappy ASVAB, two kids, and a criminal record may make you not worth the effort for many recruiters.

Also, what do you want to do in the military? Which branch interests you the most? You want to shoot people and blow stuff up? You want a technical job?

Last edited by m1a1mg; 06-24-2019 at 07:19 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
For the military, it doesn't matter whether the record is expunged or not. The military, law enforcement, and others within the criminal justice system have access to expunged records.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,696,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
For the military, it doesn't matter whether the record is expunged or not. The military, law enforcement, and others within the criminal justice system have access to expunged records.
Yes, this is true. I did licensing/background check work for a couple of state agencies and we had access to expunged records for all of those jobs as they were more sensitive. People would often fail to disclose it or say they didn’t know it was counted because it was expunged, but in the field I was in, every adult arrest, conviction, etc. was considered even if the record had been expunged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues