Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:42 AM

6 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

I’m interested in joining the military. I’m ready for a career. I’m 22 and work in construction. I’ve been doing this since I was 15 and know that It’s not the job I want to have forever. The problem is that I have a criminal record with 1 felony for unauthorized use of a vehicle and 3 misdemeanors, one for assault and two for evading arrest (one was dismissed but it is still public record). Is it possible for me to get a waiver and join or will I automatically be disqualified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 04:11 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,101,323 times
maybe. the only way to find out is go see a recruiter. Be courteous and visit them all. Chances are air force is out and the navy might be as well. You might get a look at the army and the marine corps. In a way you have shown a lot since you have straightened up. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:50 AM

5,727 posts, read 4,715,104 times
oldsoldier is dead on, but dmarie123 can give you really good input regarding the Air Force.

I'd personally say Army is your best chance. They missed their recruiting goal last year and would probably be welcoming.

Just make sure it's what you want to do. The military isn't for everyone and those 4 years can take forever if you hate it. Don't mind being told what to do? Literally ever moment of the working day.

Look for an ASVAB practice test. This will determine what you get offered in the way of jobs. Score low and guarantee a combat arms job. Which isn't bad. I loved tanks. Just make sure it's for you.

Have family and kids? The Army talks like they care about your family, and some units truly do. But the mission always comes first and your family second. ALWAYS!

Old 06-23-2019, 10:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishfulhoping View Post
I’m interested in joining the military. I’m ready for a career. I’m 22 and work in construction. I’ve been doing this since I was 15 and know that It’s not the job I want to have forever. The problem is that I have a criminal record with 1 felony for unauthorized use of a vehicle and 3 misdemeanors, one for assault and two for evading arrest (one was dismissed but it is still public record). Is it possible for me to get a waiver and join or will I automatically be disqualified?
You should go talk to all the recruiters. See what they have to say. Being arrested is one thing, being convicted is a different issue... The circumstances can also affect if you are allowed to join, how old you were at the time, how long ago, etc...

Old 06-23-2019, 11:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,326,180 times
I also liked your approach in your OP. Straight and to the point. Took responsibility. That helps.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:56 PM

17,639 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Navy also have construction crews called SeaBees. They’re a combat construction crew.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 4,901 times
I was sentenced to one year in Texas Department of Criminal Justice. I did my time and have been out for 3 years. I can supply a list of references that can vouch for my character. I’m a hard worker. My dad has been active duty for the last 20 years in the Air Force, but my parents are divorced so I haven’t seen him in a while. But I have two young children. I want to provide for my family and I know I can make the military work if they give me a chance. I’m going to be stopping at the recruiting offices tomorrow morning. I’m very thankful for everyone who has responded. I pray to god that someone gives me a chance to prove myself.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,063 times
Good luck man. Don’t be a ghost, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,342,332 times
Quote:
This is most likely going to be a no-go for any branch. However, it all depends on the circumstances. If the vehicle was your mom's and you were just 30 mins late for curfew and she called the police, the assault was a high school fight in which someone punched you first, etc, maybe. If you legitimately stole a vehicle, beat the crap out of an innocent elderly man, probably not. Details matter. Talk to a recruiter, but I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,342,332 times
Quote:
I was sentenced to one year in Texas Department of Criminal Justice. I did my time and have been out for 3 years. I can supply a list of references that can vouch for my character. I’m a hard worker. My dad has been active duty for the last 20 years in the Air Force, but my parents are divorced so I haven’t seen him in a while. But I have two young children. I want to provide for my family and I know I can make the military work if they give me a chance. I’m going to be stopping at the recruiting offices tomorrow morning. I’m very thankful for everyone who has responded. I pray to god that someone gives me a chance to prove myself.
Are you married? If you are not, you will need a dependency waiver, and will have to show that your custody agreement with mom(s) allows you to take the kids out of state/country if that is where you get stationed. You will also have your credit checked to show you can afford to support this family on our low starting pay. That means if you have anything negative on your credit report, you will also need a waiver for that. The waivers start stacking up, and your chances go down.
If you're married with no negative marks on your credit (not a single collection or late payment) you won't need these additional waivers....
(Answer is AF specific)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues