Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:47 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I've heard that it wasn't just the officers involved in the court martial but enlisted people just doing routine paperwork behind the scenes who had their medals rescinded. Perhaps Trump should have taken his ire out with someone higher up in the command structure.
If true, that is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
I wonder how many medals Trump earned while in the service ? Oh, wait...................

Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
All medals are given and taken away publicly...

And rightly so!!!

"How is this unprecedented!"

Since when do prosecutors get medals, just for being prosecutors? What is the true story?
This is Trump’s vindictive nature
Give a two-year old unlimited power and how do you think he will use it?
Wisely? Or based on self-interest, emotions, and flitting from interest to interest???
Trump is a two year old with all the power in the world....
A very scary position for the rest of us...
Consider Billy Mummy’s character in the “Twilight Zone” episode about the cornfield...

Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
yes this may be indeed be setting a bad precedent. One day a future president may even decide to rescind some of trump's vast array of medals.

Oh wait, he doesn't have any.
lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
i wonder how many medals trump earned while in the service ? Oh, wait...................
lol!

Old 08-02-2019, 09:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This is Trump’s vindictive nature
Give a two-year old unlimited power and how do you think he will use it?
Wisely? Or based on self-interest, emotions, and flitting from interest to interest???
Trump is a two year old with all the power in the world....
A very scary position for the rest of us...
Consider Billy Mummy’s character in the “Twilight Zone” episode about the cornfield...
What part of my statement:

Quote:
All medals are given and taken away publicly...
Did you not understand?

It has nothing to do with your political bashing.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,010,498 times
I don't think there is ever a recorded case of a medal being taken away publicly by a Commander in Chief.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM

39,263 posts, read 27,661,377 times
The lead prosecutor, Cmdr. Christopher Czaplak, was removed from the case for conducting a warrantless surveillance program aimed at tracking emails sent by the defense team. Prosecutors were also accused of granting immunity in an effort to block defense witnesses from testifying, according to the Navy Times.

I don't think said prosecutor deserves a medal.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:23 PM

198 posts, read 277,363 times
On another military forum, there was a push to get CIBs/CARs awarded to the drone operators who were sitting in a remote room located miles away from the target.

Another suggestion was that if you had malaria in VN you should be awarded a Purple Heart!

Both ideas were quickly rejected.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:32 PM

14,258 posts, read 14,780,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't right off hand know what "rock star" looks like among military lawyers. I expect no military lawyer doing his job could possibly earn the respect of a SEAL that was doing his job.

However, I did have the honor of serving on a couple of Navy ranking boards where part of the job was understanding that when the choice is between recommending promotion to PO1 for a ****-hot yeoman or a mediocre SEAL, you recommend the ****-hot yeoman.

An Achievement Medal is the least individual decoration of merit. A SEAL may get an Achievement Medal for one thing; a yeoman gets an Achievement medal for another thing, a lawyer gets an Achievement Medal for yet another thing...all are compared to others in their fields and the kinds of things they do in their fields. Like the commercial says, "You have your rock stars, we have our rock stars."

And as anyone who has been in the military should know, you can be awarded a medal for your own merit even if the operation is a failure.

I expect going in to this trial, the chances of a conviction looked pretty dim. The prosecutors were basically served a green weenie and told to look sharp choking it down. "Delivered the best possible legal case, blah, blah, blah..." Yeah, troops do get Achievement Medals for looking sharp while choking down green wienies, and something like this is probably what lawyers get Achievement Medals for.

I think it was a bad thing for the president to rescind Achievement Medals awarded to men who were served green weenies and told to look sharp while choking them down, and performed that duty. Just because he didn't like their mission doesn't mean they didn't do the job to the measure of earning an Achievement Medal.
My initial reaction to the medals was BS. After reading your post, I better understand.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What part of my statement:

Did you not understand?

It has nothing to do with your political bashing.
POTUS didn’t award those medals—
But he is taking them away
Trump likely never read ANY of the documentation that went to bestow those medals
Whether that is DoD policies, gradual inclination to over-reward especially those who are not on the battlefield so they can keep up with those who are (a la the drone pilots and personnel who fight from Las Vegas)...

Trump IS a politician—plenty of people in the DoD, the DoJ, and any other government agency are politicians

He got were he is by voters—not merit—not by any civil service exam, interview process, working his way up from the ranks and certainly not any personal test of physical and mental skills on the battlefield
He is all about “politics”
There is nothing meritorious in Trump’s service to America
He is doing it for self-interest and personal aggrandizement

And anyone who has ever seen Trump “take one for the team” or “eat a green weenie”, point that out—because I guess I missed Trump’s examples of self-sacrifice and going the extra mile for the benefit of the team...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues