Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The lead prosecutor, Cmdr. Christopher Czaplak, was removed from the case for conducting a warrantless surveillance program aimed at tracking emails sent by the defense team. Prosecutors were also accused of granting immunity in an effort to block defense witnesses from testifying, according to the Navy Times.

I don't think said prosecutor deserves a medal.
The more junior officers on the prosecution team who picked up the reins when the team was decapitated were not accused of anything. Likely the reason they received awards was because they had to take command of a sinking ship and did a mensch's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I think the president sent a message to the seals to clean it up

Old 08-03-2019, 08:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Everyone is well aware of a POTUS being CIC.
Without looking, I have encountered three American Citizens who did not know what POTUS was or who the Commander in Chief was...

Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 AM

16 posts, read 8,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And Trump’s idea of the press “vetting” nominations he makes vs having the WH do its job of background investigation and consideration that should happen in a more rigorous examination of people’s credentials—
This is the same knee-jerk reaction and totally based on personal impulse—just like taking away the medals from people who “offended” Trump...
Nothing to do with a well-reasoned decision...

Meh....social issues and beliefs decide who gets what. If the Congress can push to rescind medals awarded to service members in the past, why care if the sitting President wants to deny current members of some awards. It's not "just" Trump. That knee-jerk reaction and personal impulse also play a part on all sides of the political spectrum.

As for your well-reasoned decision....that's personal preference again.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:17 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
All medals are given and taken away publicly...

And rightly so!!!

"How is this unprecedented!"

Since when do prosecutors get medals, just for being prosecutors? What is the true story?
Since when do medalists get them taken away for doing their jobs?

They'll get them back when this draft dodger is out of office.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:20 AM

16 posts, read 8,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Since when do medalists get them taken away for doing their jobs?

They'll get them back when this draft dodger is out of office.
Since it's not in fashion or current generated outrage says otherwise, maybe?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-soldiers.html

Old 08-03-2019, 09:22 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They had to prosecute, since there was compelling evidence. That's the job of a prosecutor.

If the defendants were really not guilty, then the verdict was correct, and the system worked.

How would you feel if someone murdered your family, and the prosecutor wouldn't prosecute even when there was eye witness testimony by those who witnessed the murders, and the alleged perp was in fact present at the scene? Could the witnesses be lying? Yes. But it's not up to the prosecutors to make the judgment, if there's no evidence they' lying, and the evidence seems solid. In our court system, even the military court system, the judgment is made by a jury or judge. The prosecutor's job is to present the evidence, and the defendant's lawyer's job is to fight that evidence and present counter-evidence.

Should the defendant's lawyer be punished for doing his job, too?

This was a typical, petty, vindictive thing done by a petty, vindictive, draft dodger, who is trying to drum up much needed votes for his election.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:39 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
agree totally, that was more succinct than my previous benefit of the doubt comment.

Something was wrong in the unit, maybe higher. It was bigger than the case and needed correcting. By rescinding medals the CINC is telling them to clean up their act.

This would not be the first time a Special Operations unit, needed a nudge to get back in line.

And if the prosecutors were "doing their job" it probably (from what I have read) would have been one of those "Sir are you giving me a direct order to do _______" moments. That is why they get paid the big bucks. To take the hit.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:51 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The more junior officers on the prosecution team who picked up the reins when the team was decapitated were not accused of anything. Likely the reason they received awards was because they had to take command of a sinking ship and did a mensch's job.
Oh okay, now that you explained, I think it makes sense.

Because the lead prosecutor who was removed early on in this case (in my opinion) deserves to be investigated. He did not handle the case well.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:57 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
agree totally, that was more succinct than my previous benefit of the doubt comment.

Something was wrong in the unit, maybe higher. It was bigger than the case and needed correcting. By rescinding medals the CINC is telling them to clean up their act.

This would not be the first time a Special Operations unit, needed a nudge to get back in line.

And if the prosecutors were "doing their job" it probably (from what I have read) would have been one of those "Sir are you giving me a direct order to do _______" moments. That is why they get paid the big bucks. To take the hit.
The hit for doing their jobs should not come from their Commander-in-Chief.

I don't see how you connect getting the SOC "back in line" with disparaging the legal system that's attempting to get them back in line. If you want want them back in line, then you encourage prosecutors, you don't punch them.

The reason there are problems with SEALs in particular (because other Special Forces can tell that the SEALs are a special problem and why they're a special problem) is because they consider themselves untouchable. Unlike other services' Special Forces, SEALs are not operationally, functionally, philosophically, or hierarchically integrated into their service as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues