Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Yup. Vaccines.
Yeah, I love the way they kept telling our servicemen that Anthrax vaccine was safe and not experimental. Then, during the Anthrax attack of 2001, someone asked the government about using the vaccine on postal workers, and the reply was: that vaccine is experimental and unapproved. Now, it is possible they were talking about two different vaccines (they told me that the one I got was used by Veterinarians and others who had to work around animals infected with anthrax (common west of San Antonio), but if so, they should have been more precise with their verbiage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 10:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Yeah, I love the way they kept telling our servicemen that Anthrax vaccine was safe and not experimental. Then, during the Anthrax attack of 2001, someone asked the government about using the vaccine on postal workers, and the reply was: that vaccine is experimental and unapproved. Now, it is possible they were talking about two different vaccines (they told me that the one I got was used by Veterinarians and others who had to work around animals infected with anthrax (common west of San Antonio), but if so, they should have been more precise with their verbiage.

The Health and Medicine Division (HMD) is a division of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (the National Academies).
The Entire Article Is At: The Anthrax Vaccine: Is It Safe? Does It Work? : Health and Medicine Division

Last Updated: 10/4/2018, 5:40 PM Copyright © 2020 National Academy of Sciences. All Rights Reserved.

The vaccine used to protect humans against the anthrax disease, called Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed (AVA), was licensed in 1970. It was initially used primarily to protect people who might be exposed to anthrax where they worked, such as veterinarians and textile plant workers who process animal hair.

Use of AVA expanded in 1991, when the U.S. military, concerned that Iraq possessed anthrax bioweapons, administered the vaccine to some 150,000 service members deployed for the Gulf War. With subsequent confirmation of an Iraqi bioweapons program, the Department of Defense (DoD) in 1997 announced a plan for the mandatory vaccination of all U.S. service members. To be phased in gradually, the Anthrax Vaccine Immunization Program began in March 1998 with personnel sent to high-risk areas, such as South Korea and Southwest Asia.

The report concludes that the vaccine is acceptably safe and effective in protecting humans against anthrax. The vaccine should protect people against all known strains of anthrax bacteria, as well as against any strains that might be created by potential terrorists or others.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:15 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Interesting "report"
http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd...ager1FINAL.pdf
Quote:
In addition, concerns emerged regarding manufacture of the vaccine. In early 1998, the sole facility for the production of AVA was closed for renovation.
... the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) prohibited release of any new vaccine until the company demonstrated that its renovated production process met all federal regulations.
Makes ya' wonder...

Overall, I think the vaccine is reasonably safe, but they began widespread vaccinations on the military before they studied its safety (this thread is "do they test products") and they still don't know for certain, since about one third of those administering the vaccine who admitted they had seen adverse reactions also admitted they didn't report them.

Programs administered to soldiers are notoriously slipshod, since soldier have limited opportunity to complain, and the personnel administering those programs are usually protected from the consequences of their mistakes. (Not saying civilian systems are any better, but I have limited exposure to civilian medicine, since I quit getting sick once I got away from the military petri dish.)

Old 01-21-2020, 02:58 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Ha Ha At Little Creek Va. during the 1960s ,I am sure they tried to see if we would sweat blood..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues