Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 12:44 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Was that from drinking them...
Drinking.

Quote:
...or having them pounded into their chest?
'tacking' on dolphins will on occasion break a collar bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 03:58 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I must admit there is one thing I begrudge about military insigne's. Years back only aviators and sub sailors got to wear a "badge" such as wings or dolphins. Seems now they award "badges" for just about anything. I say it has to be something special to wear such a badge. Pilot, sub sailor, Seals, etc. Not just strapping some headphones on.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:14 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I must admit there is one thing I begrudge about military insigne's. Years back only aviators and sub sailors got to wear a "badge" such as wings or dolphins. Seems now they award "badges" for just about anything. I say it has to be something special to wear such a badge. Pilot, sub sailor, Seals, etc. Not just strapping some headphones on.
I don’t think it makes sense for only pilots, submariners, etc. (essentially the URLs) to be able to earn warfare qualifications and accompanying pins. They are not the only part of the fight, which is increasingly non-kinetic in nature. That said, warfare devices should be rigorous to obtain. I can’t think of one that isn’t

Old 04-10-2021, 12:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
The Dolphins (sub warfare) became a joke back in the early 2000's, when the qualifications became a computer based thing, and everyone got "impressed" because some were getting qualified in a few weeks.

The powers to be seemed more interested in making it easy for everyone to get a pin, than the reasons why the qual process was as it was. Before it went computer based, the person had a qual card and had to interact with a whole lot of the crew, go around and schedule to meet to learn about things, memorize schematics, see, feel things, etc. Took months to do, upwards six months if I recall correctly on average.

Computer based wiped all that out, and even instructions to tone down the qual board and use the arranged guidance from the computer for the board. Became a damn boring and uneventful, to the point it was no longer a big deal at all, no 1MC announcement, no little ceremony on the con, no humorous qual boards, no nothing, like some very dull, corporate meeting setting.

Maybe things have changed since then.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The Dolphins (sub warfare) became a joke back in the early 2000's, when the qualifications became a computer based thing, and everyone got "impressed" because some were getting qualified in a few weeks.

The powers to be seemed more interested in making it easy for everyone to get a pin, than the reasons why the qual process was as it was. Before it went computer based, the person had a qual card and had to interact with a whole lot of the crew, go around and schedule to meet to learn about things, memorize schematics, see, feel things, etc. Took months to do, upwards six months if I recall correctly on average.

Computer based wiped all that out, and even instructions to tone down the qual board and use the arranged guidance from the computer for the board. Became a damn boring and uneventful, to the point it was no longer a big deal at all, no 1MC announcement, no little ceremony on the con, no humorous qual boards, no nothing, like some very dull, corporate meeting setting.

In my experience riding and seeing my guys qualify, it appears to have changed. There is still a computer-based part of the qualification process (SOBT courses), but this was only a small part of the process.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:

There, too??????

I had learned, the harsh way, that anti-terrorism had gone from drills to a power point presentation that people rushed through to go on liberty because it was all "common sense" (no wonder we are so screwed up!).........

.........and had heard that they cancelled SWO school and it was now "SWOS in a box" (CD-ROM) and that's one of the reasons we are getting so many collisions.........

..........but other communities too????????

Old 05-26-2021, 01:10 PM

245 posts, read 236,539 times
Quote:

The dolphins are definitely not a joke, and still take 6-12 months to get. Still just about the hardest warfare device for anyone to get. Was still made a big deal to get. Source: Son who is a US Navy submariner who has his dolphins.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:02 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don’t think it makes sense for only pilots, submariners, etc. (essentially the URLs) to be able to earn warfare qualifications and accompanying pins. They are not the only part of the fight, which is increasingly non-kinetic in nature. That said, warfare devices should be rigorous to obtain. I can’t think of one that isn’t
Enlisted can get the ESWS, does that not count?

Old 05-26-2021, 06:27 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
The dolphins are definitely not a joke, and still take 6-12 months to get. Still just about the hardest warfare device for anyone to get. Was still made a big deal to get. Source: Son who is a US Navy submariner who has his dolphins.
While your son has them, you do not, thus no experience, I do have them, and what I said is what I said.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
Because officers have an entirely different pipeline in order to be able to qualify in submarines, I assume you're referring to enlisted dolphins. If so, anyone taking 6-12 months to get them is not a function of the difficulty of the qualification itself, but due to other things. I have personally witnessed riders on boats--who aren't attached to a particular platform more more than 4 months--regularly qualify within 2-4 months. And this is with doing their job and the additional cleaning/maintenance and other duties they are assigned to while on the boat. So, while I don't know if I'd call the qualification "easy" (and acknowledging that what is easy is ultimately subjective), I agree completely with K350 in terms of realistic timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues