Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
The last part of his training now is on a moored sub...and he HATES that sub,working on it, and being so cramped up. He calls it the metal ******* hole, among other things that arent fit to be printed. Heh, needless to say, his answer to subs is no.
I privately wanted him to do carriers...simply because I do not like the idea of him underwater that way with no way out.Also ( and this is me personally..no reflection of him) I really dont care if he makes alot of money. Thats not why Im with him.Ive been with him since before he joined ( he was working in fast food)...I liked him poor just as well as I do now. However...he didnt find out my preference until after he declared himself as going carrier. It was his decision.
LOL

That is funny. You know that as a nuc on a carrier he will work and live entirely within the bowels of the ship, in narrower passageways than subs have. Not seeing daylight for weeks at a time. 20 decks down below the water-line.

But at least he is enjoying himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Im not going to tell him where he will be stuffed in that ship....and dang it..I didnt know the editor people on here knew German swear-words....

At least he wont come up stinking though, like you do on a Sub. The boys have told me stories...

Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Yes amine does smell. It is a chem used in the manufacture of air.

condemnant quod non intellegunt

Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Countries, like people, that mind their own buisness, usually come out ok.
USA is only country in the world where,under law, a corporation, has the same
rights and protections as a person.
Imagine 500 hundred people living in your town that are 300 ft tall with no morals
or conscience whatsoever, who the cops like a whole lot better than you.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Countries, like people, that mind their own buisness, usually come out ok.
USA is only country in the world where,under law, a corporation, has the same
rights and protections as a person.
Imagine 500 hundred people living in your town that are 300 ft tall with no morals
or conscience whatsoever, who the cops like a whole lot better than you.
Ah, but mind you, business is our "backbone" and our people very likely to sue. So, if a business does not recieve protection, then it likely will cease to exist.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes amine does smell. It is a chem used in the manufacture of air.

condemnant quod non intellegunt
haha Ive heard stories of Master Chiefs being hosed off by their wives before being allowed to enter their own homes. LOL

Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
haha Ive heard stories of Master Chiefs being hosed off by their wives before being allowed to enter their own homes. LOL
We take one set of civilian clothing underway with us. Otherwise it is poopy-suits and maybe one set of cracker jacks.

My underway seabag, would go through the washer a couple times, and then live in the garage until the next patrol.

The smell of amine never comes out.

But really who wants four sets of black cover-alls?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We take one set of civilian clothing underway with us. Otherwise it is poopy-suits and maybe one set of cracker jacks.

My underway seabag, would go through the washer a couple times, and then live in the garage until the next patrol.

The smell of amine never comes out.

But really who wants four sets of black cover-alls?
I DO I DO!! lol Ive stolen my boyfriend's for various messy projects...

Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Quote:
Ah, but mind you, business is our "backbone" and our people very likely to sue. So, if a business does not recieve protection, then it likely will cease to exist.
Protection from unfair or nuisance lawsuits of course.This however,in NO
way require that corps. become "persons".Buisness in EVERY other
country don't require it and that is proof positive.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM

17 posts, read 46,193 times
[quote=forest beekeeper;5249223]This is likely to sound very harsh, for which I do apologize.

I am career military. I enlisted in the 70's back when America hated it's military. I never served in Vietnam, though because I wore a uniform, I was spit at. I was called names for wearing a uniform. I was once arrested and spent a night in a jail cell because the cops wanted to hassle a servicemember. So I do remember back before Americans decided they liked their military.
quote]

My hubby was in when our men died in Mogadishu because Congress would not approve the Armored vehicles and other equipment they needed. I think I will always remember that because I saw our guys (Army) being dragged through dirt streets on the cover of the USA Today. We were living outside of DC. I found out on the evening news that the media printed the photos before the military had even had time to notify the family of their dead. They interviewed a wife of one of the fallen, and she said that that photo was how she knew her husband was dead.

People protested hardcore against the US getting involved under NATO even to settle Somalia down. Congress sent them in there to die, and I have always felt that way. The soldiers that did survive from that unit were rescued by armored pakistani transport, because Congress would not approve the armored vehicles.

Then along came the damn Serbs. Again with NATO. And again the US went in, and again there were hardcore protests, except this time there were protesters burning the flag right off of our post. The post commander sent out a notice that personnel were to try to avoid being off post in their uniforms, specifically the bdus because they made people think of war. They warned us against going off post until things calmed down because of the military decals on our cars. But they wouldn't tell us specifically what had happened. Then we had the first ever bomb threat called into post, the first one that I had gone through.

My hubby was enlisted, got out when his ets came around instead of going past E-6. Enough was enough.

During those two periods the military cutbacks were going on. What Dems and Reps alike DID NOT and WOULD NOT talk about was what EXACTLY their electeds were cutting back. They kicked out some really good soldiers, reduced pay increases a LOT, did away with a lot of the benefits, cut funding on military housing, and privatised everything. The last post we were at was being transitioned to a "management company". It was at Fort Lewis and we lived in some of the old housing, housing that was so old and outdated that when the wind blew it literally came through the walls. But they made those soldiers and their families turn over their housing money to this company, and they were to pay the utilities out of their own pockets. We were out right before that went on. Our youngest daughter was born right there at Madigan. Its a beautiful hospital, but cutbacks were obvious. They didn't have the most basic things for us in labor and delivery, like the one thing I missed the most, those ice packs that are shaped just like a maxi pad and a really nice thing to have after you have pushed a baby out. We paid for the healthcare, it came out of his paycheck, so why the hell take stuff like that away?

We used to joke that if the US didn't build one stealth bomber a year, they could give every single US soldier a pay raise of $100 a month or something like that. The enlisted soldiers in my husband's unit actually figured it out.

But they didn't do military cutbacks in the form of less stealth bombers, they cut back the funds to the basic equipment, and the benefits. They demoralized the enlisted and alienated their families. They sent some of the Army's elite, which were soldiers that had gone through the toughest training and schooling, into Mogadishu and killed them. Just like that.

They called them babykillers during Yugo, the first Iraq, and the second Iraq.

Until 9/11, then it was go and die for us you babykillers, go get killed, its okay, we will remember you. The irony is if people had not been so wrapped up in their political party agendas, they would have known it was coming, but they didn't care. The USS Cole was a good hint, but the most obvious were the blatant threats Bin Laden was making, and the build up of al quida throughout the middle east and northern africa. But it was all thrown away as paranoia. It was inevitable. Not paranoid.

Then while those soldiers were in Afghanistan and some of them were dieing, these people back here in the states had the blatant audacity to start right back up to the same old bickering blaming shouting matches, its the Republican's fault, its the Democrats fault. Impeach, do this, oh wait, hello, military cutbacks remember? The soldiers you sent into war did not have enough flack jackets to go around, they didn't have enough armored vehicles to complete the mission. Excuse me can you people stop your spitting contests and uh go buy them the armor they need?

And it is exactly why I want the price of gas to keep climbing. Because every Republican and Democrat gets to pay where it hurts you. It will not bring back those soldiers, it will not improve military housing conditions, or bring back those ice packs, but it will at least FINALLY make you all feel just some of the sacrifice those soldiers and their families are making. You get your minimum wage raised to what $6 an hour? And they get a whopping 4% pay increase. Still haven't caught up to inflation like one of your candidates promised, and still haven't had their lives improved like the other one promised.

And you can't call all of these damn wars wrong or right, because you would actually have to know your subject matter, and not enough of you do. You parrot the same stuff over and over, because its easier than just thinking for yourselves. And now you are wanting your candidates to do something about the price per barrel. HELLO? Wouldn't that be oh war for oil? Cause there ain't no other way they are going to be able to force OPEC to lower the price per barrel.

Move to Russia if you want a war for oil. A war with Russia, the US would win, as long as we quit sending the money to them to keep their nukes safe first! A war with China? Not likely, they don't want it anymore than we do, and they would have to deal with India. A war with Iran is highly unlikely right now, and not within the next decade unless they do something really dramatic, like nuke someone.

Even North Korea has quieted down, and if the news is true, well things in Korea could get real interesting.

PS Forest BeeKeeper sorry I was not attacking you either, your post just took me back so I replied to it and then just went off at some of the rest of the posts I had been reading. My stepdad was in the Air Force and we were out at Williams Field Air Base in Chandler AZ way before they turned it into low income housing for the locals. I remember Iran and the gas shortages, but as a kid. Like my stepdad rode a bike to and from work. And we didn't get to go camping at Waterdog (a military rec area that was part of Apache Lake). That was about it. We were blissfully sheltered from the politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues