Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times

Advertisements

I alternated between being proud of what I was doing and trying to remember just why the h**l I had thought this was a good idea. I remember thinking "And I was dumb enough to volunteer for this". However, if someone had given me a ticket home I would not have taken it. Almost any veteran will tell you that military service was the best thing he/she ever did, and I firmly agree. Boot camp doesn't last forever, and he will come out of it a better person if he allows himself to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
I joined the CG to avoid being drafted. A Vietnam vet was at the bus stop with me said, "The best time and the worst time of your life will be in the military". Back then, I never thought of quitting as optional. We were a team. Commune Periculum Concordiam Parit (Common danger creates unity). My guess is, it's that way again.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,894 times
Never.
The more they yelled, the more I was determined to stay.
Nothing was going to keep me from succeeding.
I agree with sevenofnine, though, church is a welcome respite.

I am sure most guys/gals want to get out of there in those first weeks,
no matter what branch of service they are in, it is the time they put the pressure on most,
but it makes the success of completing it all the better. You do come together, and become stronger than ever.
It is worthwhile.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
ha! boot camp was a snap. in fact, most of the craziest and funniest things i have *ever* seen--and i've seen some funny stuff--was in boot camp.

besides, army boot camp is still only 7 weeks, isn't it? this thread will continue longer than his boot camp.

tell him to make a game out of it; that's all you have to do. i made a game out of everything, how long i could stay in the build-a-house position, how long i could hold my rifle straight out in front of me by my fingertips, how many canteens i could drink at a time during waterbottle-it, etc. even when they were screaming in my face, my game was to see if i could scream louder than they could. that usually kept me from getting angry, and seemed to appease the drill instructors after a few minutes. only thing about that was trying not to laugh while they were flinging spittle in your face and saying all sorts of ridiculous stuff.

the hardest part of boot camp for me was bronchitus, and later, peumonia. as much fun as i was having, i had no delusions that it would get miserable if i got held back for medical problems. so i didn't tell anyone when i got sick (honestly, i didn't know how bad it was until the doc that was cutting out my ingrown toenail told me that i had pneumonia). that kind of sucked, especially sleeping in those cold squad bays with the windows open all night in the middle of december.

anyway, if he sticks it out, he'll have some good experiences and some bad. what he makes of it is up to him. but if he cuts out now, he--and everyone else that knows him--will never look at him(self) the same way.

aaron out.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,860 times
lol
it's supposed to be hard or difficult (for most), the first week is one of the toughest part due to "culture" shock and adjustment but once you get in the groove of things, it gets less tough (not easier), and you learn about customs and courtesies, etc. All those are done for a reason.

that's why years down the road when someone calls out "ten-hut" you lock it up and stand at attention...that's how far it's embedded in your system...those months of training did have an effect somehow ...

Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 PM

13 posts, read 47,233 times
No! I will admit it was rough for the first few weeks, but then I became more confident -- not cocky, because Marine DI's have a way of keeping you off balance -- and learned to go with the flow. Many thousands had gone through this process before me and made it, so why shouldn't I? It became a challenge to make the 13 weeks of training...

I will say that I wouldn't repeat it though, once was enough

Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 PM

349 posts, read 863,095 times
i don't think i ever wanted to go home until korea. i loved basic overall, i just hated running, so imagine the next 6 years of my life.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,776 times
It actually gets easier every week, once I was done I was itching to get back. Though I believe the "washout" rate is about 30% and hasn't changed much.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I do remember wishing the BS would end, but not wanting out.

Luckily though I knew going in that it was more mental than physical. . .

yup, i totally agree. i treated my time in basic as one long series of mind games. i was glad when it was over though!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,089 times
The first 7 weeks of boot camp sucked a bit. The last 6 were easier. Its all just a big game. I never would of quit boot camp. I would have been to embarrassed..........On the other hand.....There were hundreds of times throughout my tour when I was cold, wet, tired, hungry, and sore that I thought, this sucks, **** this ****, (chose your own cuss word). I don't regret it and wish I would of stayed in.

The good definitely outweighed the bad overall. Maybe that's just my selective memory. My wife tells me my memory is "selective" all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues