Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,028,754 times

Advertisements

Nice, Jude!
Congrats (and much respect) for both of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 24,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
besides, army boot camp is still only 7 weeks, isn't it?
My 38 yr. old husband just completed Army BCT and it was 10 wks at Fort Benning, GA.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,228,597 times
wow lot of old coots in here.

I think it makes a big diff both when you went thru it and what branch of service. I went thru AF in the 80s and it was a joke. I hated it but not because it was hard, because it was incredibly stupid and frankly some of the people I was there with were people I hoped to never see again.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,591,285 times
Good grief, what the hell is wrong with today's generation? I enlisted in the Navy, and basic sucked, that was expected, and it lived up to and exceeded that expectation and then some, but there was no sobbing in the barracks after lights out.

Guess that is because we hadn't been given everything in life, and didn't get good grades in school just because we showed up, but because we earned them, or suffered the shame of bad grades.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,228,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Good grief, what the hell is wrong with today's generation? I enlisted in the Navy, and basic sucked, that was expected, and it lived up to and exceeded that expectation and then some, but there was no sobbing in the barracks after lights out.
Yeah I was wondering "wtf" on that myself.

I think it might have to do w/how pampered many kids are now and how parents are so unwilling to discipline their kids. Scary.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 PM

19 posts, read 33,534 times
I loved it, so much aggression, so many new friendships plus half the time we didnt really have time to think! I loved boot camp and I loved the Marine Corps because of everything it gave me! Now Im out I make more money then most professionals and college grads! It set me up for alot of Success! Semper FI!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,182,615 times
I went through it in the Air Force in 1992. I saw alot of people that probably would have.Me,definitely not.The main reason for boot camp is to make the individual not so reliant on their mommy and daddy but stresses teamwork.In the beginning it's a bit mentally tough for some but it really shouldn't be a surprise because tv does portray it SOMEWHAT accurately. From day one to the end as you progress the training gets easier and the drill instuctors(T.I.'s in AF) slowly get nicer.For alot of kids it's their first time away from home too so it can be tough. A good experience for most.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,922,726 times
My only fond memory of navy boot camp at Great Lakes Michigan in the winter was strangling some sob that took most of the springs out of my rack and I caught him in the act. He took a swing at me and I dropped him with a choke hold. Easiest way of teaching him a lession without actually hurting him or leaving bruises. Nobody Fefd with me after that.

The rest of the memories were of silly rules, cold, no sleep, cold, decent food, cold, very uncomfortable beds, cold. Did I mention cold? The training was a decent preparation for shipboard life. Lots of silly rules (admittedly some sensible), no sleep, decent food and as I was mostly in the south and Viet-nam, not cold but with a much higher chance of drowning or broiling.

Given the circumstances, if I were a kid again, I would not do it over. I would go to college and get the therapy to over come a very violent childhood.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,422,165 times
Well.. this was my experience.. I was kind of a wild child growing up because of different things that went down.. I was on my own from a very early age so when I went into the Military at first I felt like boot camp was an adventure and I was totally into it.. but I do remember hitting a point where I was ready to just walk and up until then that was how I handled everything in my life.. enjoyed it while I could.. stuck out a lot of bs but when push came to shove and the hairs on my neck were standing on end.. I split. This was the 1st time I couldn't do that.. and it was an important experience for me to have. Having said that there was one fella that made an ass out of himself trying to get out.. I dunno whatever happened to him because he didn't graduate with us but I sure as hell wasn't going that route, lol. I guess I'm a rebelious person (in general) but too much pride.. I'm thankful for my experience.. the Army was good for me.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,056,168 times
I bascially expected it to be rough. When your 18 you just think you know alot about life.Fuuny; but most think that 18 year olds how are more mature but I really see the opposite.For me what it did was make me appreciate how eay and how much freedom we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues