Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

I really like Hampton Roads area, I was stationed at Oceana in Va Beach. Lot's to do there of course. Very busy though and traffic during rush hours are a nightmare, especially if your going in or out of Norfolk. Overall, though a great place to live. (I lived in Chesapeake, which I really liked).

Corpus Christi is nice, spent three years there. Pretty warm in the summer, but winters are great! Lived on NAS CC, the base housing was nice.

I also vote on Hawaii. Once in a lifetime opportunity for most people to live there. I was single then, so I lived in a really great apartment in Aiea, next to Pearl City, which overlooked Pearl Harbor on one side and the mountains on the other side. Fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,164 times
Just for the people whom may look up this post for advice, since i know this is going on 2 yrs old now. I lived in Whidbey Island for 2 years and I along with ALL of my Navy wife girlfriends were ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE!!! Granted it is beautiful and if you are a real outdoorsman you will never run out of things to do in the summer, but now for the downside...
If you are a working military spouse be prepared to NOT find a decent job no matter what your qualifications, there just arent enough of them to go around. (It is an island)
If you have children be prepared to explain what drugs are because a large chunk of the local population youth are on them.
If you like the nightlife of anykind, all you will find in town are tons of dive bars, a SMALL movie theatre that shows 3 movies and not always the most popular, and a Drive-Inn Theatre. (which is probably the coolest thing in town, but its not on paved ground and gets REALLY muddy)
The closest "civilization" is a town called Burlington which still doesnt boast much of the city life atmosphere and is 45+ minutes away.
Also, many of the fellow Navy folk there are SO very rude. TWO YEARS in military housing and NEVER NOT once, did any of our neighbors speak to us. And don't tell me its b/c we were weird or different b/c we were the model citizens- no disturbances, always kept our lawn neat and clean, friendly even though no one returned on it. Personally I think its b/c they were miserable too.
Another point on them being miserable- I was a manager at a local retail store that I have worked for in other areas around the country and the military community here would absolutely destroy our store on a daily basis. I have never had a group be so rude and disrespectful.
One note on the weather, personally I love rain so this wasn't a problem for me, but it rains like 200 days out of the year also. So if you don't like to be cold and wet, this isn't the place for you.

If your spouse has the right platform- try getting orders to a Navy detatchment on Travis, AFB in California. Great DOD schools, extremely nice people living in base housing, the base has so much to offer and is so beautiful you would never have to leave.

I hope this "review" helps someone in the future.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

664 posts, read 1,945,989 times
^^^ You should check out CinCHouse.com | Where military wives and women in uniform are 'Commanders in Chief'

Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,959 times
My husband is considering the Navy and is looking to choose SanDiego for base for our family. We currently live in Raytown, Missouri. We have 3 girls. Ages range from 10 yrs, 4yrs and 1 yr. I am concerned about best school district for my girls. Please advise. Thank you.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Can your husband join with 4 dependants, also can he select duty location?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Can your husband join with 4 dependants, also can he select duty location?
I think he would have to get a waiver for the dependents, but doubt if he'll be able to choose his duty station. You have to take whatever base is assigned to you, I don't think there's much of a choice.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I asked my son and daughter-in-law this question a few years ago.

#1-------Aurora Colorado ( although in the Navy, he was stationed at an AF base that had all those domes )

#2-----Pensacola Florida
#3-----Virginia Beach VA
#4----San Diego ( expensive)

#5----Jacksonville Florida----the family did not like it there.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,536 times
We spent 3 years in Okinawa, Japan. It was soooo much fun! There are endless things to do! You can become so saturated in the culture that you forget that you are there for work! The DOD schools are awesome. Actually, they are the best in the military. The food and all the coffee houses that you can visit are unbelievable! I would love to go back! It was truly the chance of a lifetime.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Groton Ct is not bad. Kind of expensive.

Va.Beach Va is okay, there is a lot of military in the area. Kind of expensive.

Newport News Va, we had a lot of issues with the local Law Enforcement [I was busted for being on the beach, a night in jail and $100 fine] Over all I found that with so much military there the locals did not like the military.

Bremerton Wa was okay, Subase Bangor Wa is really nice. A great area.

Naples Italy is really good too!

Greece is fantastic!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Definitely Japan, Italy, and Spain. Hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues