Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times

Advertisements

Surprised that Colorado hasent been put up as a good place to retire.
Colorado Springs has a good 4 season climate, moderate winters, several major military bases~ army and air force. Reasonable costs, a base of military retirees, and senior/military retirement deference of $23000 on taxes. Maybe not the best place but definitely not the worst, and great mountian views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Surprised that Colorado hasent been put up as a good place to retire.
We are semi-retired about 400 miles South of Colorado Springs. We have considered the area when my wife retires, however she is not fond of cold weather.

We have some friends up in the area. But we have kids and grand kids right here (as well as other states not so near).

So I see all the discussions, but different people have different needs and desires. We have several friends/acquaintances who who to be close to their kids and grand kids.

Rich

Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We are semi-retired about 400 miles South of Colorado Springs. We have considered the area when my wife retires, however she is not fond of cold weather.

We have some friends up in the area. But we have kids and grand kids right here (as well as other states not so near).

So I see all the discussions, but different people have different needs and desires. We have several friends/acquaintances who who to be close to their kids and grand kids.

Rich

I'll bet the vast majotity of military people retiring after 20 years don't have grandkids and kids living in different parts of the country.

( unless you were married in your sophmore year of high school and had kids immediately.)

Do the math.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'll bet the vast majotity of military people retiring after 20 years don't have grandkids and kids living in different parts of the country.

( unless you were married in your sophmore year of high school and had kids immediately.)

Do the math.
Yes, I can do that math, the topic is Best place to retire after the military. How many people really retire at age 37 (do the math)? How many military people retire at exactly 20 years? How many retired military people continue after their military career with another job/career etc?

Rich

Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Many people retire from the military before age 40.

They then are looking for a place to re-locate to.

Heck, even our town ( in the middle of nowhere) had a few families re-locate here and enrolled their kids in jr high and sr high.

Yup, they re-located -------after the millitary-- and were drawing their pensions after 20 years.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Some of us do retire after 20 years.

I think it depends a great deal on how well they were able to build a portfolio during their AD career.

When I attended the TAP class [the required 1-week class to prep a soon to retiree servicemember for his transition], out of 25 servicemembers in the class, I was the only one who had lined-up a situation where I could retire on my pension and continue to support my family. The other 24 had not thought about it really. Few had much invested, and only one other had even considered finding where they could retire on their pensions.

For most of them, it was a foregone conclusion that their pension would never be enough to support their families. The primary focus was on locating corporate jobs that offered most of the same types of benefits that the military offers.

Now to be fair, I also served with foreign-nationals in the US Navy. Who even though they were not ready to retire when I served with them. They did tell me that their plans were to return to their homeland when they each retired. Because the cost-of-living there is so low, their 20-year pension would be enough to support them and a large extended family.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Many people retire from the military before age 40.

They then are looking for a place to re-locate to.

Heck, even our town ( in the middle of nowhere) had a few families re-locate here and enrolled their kids in jr high and sr high.

Yup, they re-located -------after the millitary-- and were drawing their pensions after 20 years.
I agree with what you are saying.

I retired at 42. I had gotten out after serving 6 years, I attended college and went back in, to finish my 20-year career.

If someone goes in at 17.5 or 18, serves long enough to get a GI bill, gets out and does 4-years in college, then returns to complete their career. They are really looking at retirement at around 42.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Two different perspectives.

Some people interpert this thread to read------" Where should you retire to after you retire from the military , find a civilian job, and retire from that job"

I took it as meaning where is the best place to re-locate to after you retired from the military.

Big difference as to which one of those 2 scenarios one is talking about.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Some of us do retire after 20 years.

I think it depends a great deal on how well they were able to build a portfolio during their AD career.

When I attended the TAP class [the required 1-week class to prep a soon to retiree servicemember for his transition], out of 25 servicemembers in the class, I was the only one who had lined-up a situation where I could retire on my pension and continue to support my family. The other 24 had not thought about it really. Few had much invested, and only one other had even considered finding where they could retire on their pensions.

For most of them, it was a foregone conclusion that their pension would never be enough to support their families. The primary focus was on locating corporate jobs that offered most of the same types of benefits that the military offers.

Now to be fair, I also served with foreign-nationals in the US Navy. Who even though they were not ready to retire when I served with them. They did tell me that their plans were to return to their homeland when they each retired. Because the cost-of-living there is so low, their 20-year pension would be enough to support them and a large extended family.
--" the other 24 had not thought about it really"--

When I served, I talked with many guys that were reaching 20 years active service and getting out with a pension for life.

In the years after that, I met many guys who served 20, and are drawing pensions for life.

Every one of them had plans on exactly what they were going to do when they got out ( return to college, start their own business, start a new job etc)

Just because a person has served 20 years and isn't able to survive on that pension alone,certainly doesn't mean they --"never really thought about it"----for 20 years.

Everyone I knew expected their pension to be a great help for the rest of their life and never considered it to fully support them.

However, they did have plans for life after the military and none of them experienced a surprise from a naive notion that their pension was enough to live on til they died.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac
Two different perspectives.

Some people interpert this thread to read------" Where should you retire to after you retire from the military, find a civilian job, and retire from that job"

I took it as meaning where is the best place to re-locate to after you retired from the military.

Big difference as to which one of those 2 scenarios one is talking about.
Of course, anywhere with a low cost-of-living and depressed economy; makes for a great retirement locale.

Those reasons are a big part of why we moved to this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues