Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,762 times

Advertisements

As title states, I am USAF SSgt (personnelist) and wondering if anyone currently or previously stationed at Osan may give me tidbits and thoughts about being stationed in Osan/Korea. I have a follow-on to Luke AFB AZ after this tour so of course, I want to make the best out of being in Asia instead of being a dorm rat. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM

363 posts, read 349,319 times
enjoy the yaki mandu, bulgogi, and kimchi.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:26 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Sorry haven't been but there is an Osan AB reddit.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I was stationed at Osan AFB for one year starting in 1984.

Great assignment (I was a U.S. Army Soldier). I had a lot of TDY from the area.

I have heard from others that it has changed a lot since then.

It was always considered a good post...

Old 08-08-2019, 05:33 PM

11 posts, read 10,686 times
Osan was a great assignment (TDY87, PCS-93-94, 98-99).Fastest year(s) of my life! I have heard much has changed, regarding the bar scene out the main gate. So depending on if you "partake", that might matter some, I'm sure the clubs on base still do their thing. There are plenty of things to do and places to go. The DMZ and Seoul are must visits, additionally, there are trails all through the surrounding mountains that were great for Mtn Biking and general hiking. If you do drink, and like running, if the Osan Bologoki House Hash Harriers still run around, it's a fun way to spend a few hours every week! Best of luck!

Old 08-13-2019, 12:04 PM

574 posts, read 298,958 times
Stationed there 92-93, 2000-2001. First time with the 36th FS F-16's, second time in 607th AFS. Played soccer with the base team and had a chance to visit several areas including Army bases and Kunsan. Air Force has it so much better especially at Osan.
Take full advantage of the tours offered and exploring the culture. When I was there the second time I was fortunate to have 2 Korean GS that worked for me. Got to help one of them plant rice, and enjoy time with his family. The other one owned a restaurant near Seoul. He put me up in a hotel for the weekend and we hung out with his family. Spent many weekends refereeing soccer for the high school teams so I had the chance to see more places and get paid for it.
The base also has a nice golf course plus Sung Nam golf course south of Seoul. No reason to be a dorm rat as there is always something to do. Take a bicycle or buy one over there. Just beware, if you're in the dorm it may have to be locked to a rack outside and the weather will destroy it. Left mine locked to the rack the first time I returned home in "93". Next tour I was in the SNCO dorm so my bike was indoors. Never did the Hash runs but logged many miles doing other runs. Nice gym and racquetball courts too.
I assume they still have an exercise every quarter. Pretty much just an inconvenience for a few days.

I wish my family could have gone with me back then. I would have stayed longer. Hoping to take my wife over someday to see what it's all about. Enjoy your tour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues