Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Just want to say that I do greatly respect everyone who protects & serves, including those in the military. I think the way many of the troops are treated these days is a travesty, and don't agree that they need to sign their whole life away (or face prison) for the nation to be well defended. I realize this would be a tough decision for a parent of a child who really believes the propaganda. Perhaps his jets can be cooled by getting him face time with some vets, not just those who are career military or recruiters. When I was a teenager I got a patriotic case made for the National Guard; had I not needed parental permission I might've signed up right then & there. Good thing I didn't join or I might be writing this from Iraq now.
I think this would truly backfire. If he were to go to any military ceremony, such as a graduation (the one's we've attended have included impressive demonstrations and shows) or spend any time with the soldiers I have spent time with, he would be MORE adamant, not less. The ones I have met have been impressive individuals..supremely confident and squared away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,559,916 times
I have been in the Army 30 years and it has been a good career overall. In some ways it is no different than any other career. It depends what you want out of it. I have always plotted my destiny as best as I can during the last 30 years. Granted, sometimes it went my way and other times it did not.
I your son has any questions about the Army tell your son he is welcome to email me at salvador.heredia@us.army.mil.
I am not going to try to convince him to join. I will just answer his questions. I have talked to a lot of young men and women and very often I tell them it may be difficult for them to deal with military life if they have some habit that may not best suit them. It is best they do not join because if they have a lifestyle, work habits, ethics, lack of discipline, etc. that my not go along with the Army expectations it is best they do not join. If they do, they could bet in trouble, get discharged with a bad mark on their record and that can be worst when they are back looking for a job.
It can be a good career even if the young man only serves 3 years. I started with only elementary education in Mexico and now I am working on my second Master's Degree. I have been in 25 countries and in 30 states, something I would never dream of experiencing and our daughters learned a lot in all our travels.
The propect of going to war are there of course. But that is a decision he has to weigh with his principles, goals, etc. That decision can be very rewarding but, yes, can have permanent consequences and one of them is death. However, if you look at the odds of today's war more people do get killed in car accidents than in the front lines.
I will be glad to talk to you son if necessary.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM

960 posts, read 1,165,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
However, if you look at the odds of today's war more people do get killed in car accidents than in the front lines.
This seems to imply that one has lower odds of getting killed on the front lines than driving, which isn't true at all.

Good post otherwise.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,559,916 times
I should clarify this. Good point. We seem to be loosing more Soldiers killing themselves driving in the States than in the war zone due to drinking or simply careless driving or careless mistakes while driving military vehicles.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-27-2009, 05:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,769,896 times
To the original poster: have you been to the military dot com website and forums?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,551,852 times
A reminder: The OP asked what questions to ask of a recruiter. Please keep on topic!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Take him to a Veterans of Foreign Wars post and talk with some of the Vietnam Vets.

There is an old saying. Do you know how to tell if a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving and sounds are coming out.

Serving in the armed forces to help protect you country is a just and honorable thing. Serving to help protect the international oil cartel and international financiers is not. Our current army is an Army of Empire and has nothing to do with guarding our country and everything to do with guarding our enemies.
GregW, at the risk of opening a whole new can of worms here. I submit that there are former soldiers who have made a new career of being former soldiers. If all they do is hang around the VFW Hall and talk about 'Nam, maybe they are not indicative of today's vibrant and dedicated soldier.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,220,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
My son wants to be a Ranger - but he only has the knowledge about the job from video games, watching the military channel and talking to recruiters and his ROTC contacts. That is alot of sources,
That is NOT a lot of souces. That is a few extremely slanted and unrealistic sources.

That's your real problem: your son - like many teens - has a very naive, glamourized, and unrealistic idea of what being a Ranger is. This isn't a video game we're talking about, this is real life. Don't get me wrong, maybe it is for him, but as much as possible I hope you can get him to go into this with as informed and tempered viewpoint as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Serving in the armed forces to help protect you country is a just and honorable thing. Serving to help protect the international oil cartel and international financiers is not. Our current army is an Army of Empire and has nothing to do with guarding our country and everything to do with guarding our enemies.

1 - You don't know what you're talking about
2 - PS and oh btw, once again: this forum is not for political rants/tangents/etc.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,951,552 times
Well as a Vet of WW11 and Korea am reminded of a young 17 yr old (barely) who cried while on KP and did not like cleaning the slop from the garbage pails and the scrubbing. Said he was under age and therefore was returned to the barracks with an NCO to watch over him until his age was verified and the mother picked him up.

Some months later he did manage to join the Marines and after completing boot at Camp Pendleton Ca was caught robbing a liquor store in Oceanside and did go to prison. Some make it and some don't.

This story has nothing to do with the OP situation.

My point is that any young 17 yr old that has to have his mother speak with the recruiter about the boys future in the military is not military material at that point in time.

When a DI has his nose in your face (maybe with bad breath) the kid is going to shake in his boots.

My stepson (17 yrs old) joined the Navy during Nam without his mothers permission to do so.

I told him about the DI thing and that he would see that day in the future.

Later told me "dad you sure were right about that" in your face deal. Son did very well and was radio operater on the Oklahoma.

End of story. Steve

Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,936 times
Steve - First I don't HAVE to speak to the recruiter for my son. I WANT to speak to him and the recruiter has been trying to get a parent's meeting for a while now. The recruiters are in the high schools all the time these days. Since my son is in his 3rd year of ROTC, he knows these men as they come around frequently. There has been discussions with guidance counselors for several years now about my son graduating early due to the extra credits he has obtained from his honors classes. So of course the recruiter has been hounding him to sign up now so he can join the Army next Feb. In order to do that, he must have his parents signature since he does not turn 18 until Sept. By signing ASAP, he is eligible for a bonus of $1000 a month until he goes to boot camp, and if he needs my signature for that then so be it.

I cannot imagine why you would think that a teenager who has an educated parent is not military material? Just because I want information, does not mean my son is weakling. As his mother, I would guide him to making informed decisions about going to college and pursing his educational path - why not going into the military?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues