Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

I've already sent this question to the VA and am awaiting an answer but I also wanted to aske it here. Does anyone know if the VA has a program for testing former sailors for lead exposure from the lead paint used on the ships? From what I read so far, it seems that if you have lead in the body as an adult it can result in memory loss and pain in the joints, something I'm beginning to feel at 40 years old and am not sure if it's age or my exposure to lead. I also read that you have to be treated to have the lead removed. At the time I was in we didn't use respirators to chip the old paint off the bulkheads and this was a ship built in the 60s. We used a primer that scared me. If you left the can open too long it would dry into a solid rubbery green block. We were told the primer and the paint at the time was lead based. Should I get tested by my family doctor and send the results to the VA or see if they'll do the testing first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
We'd blast lead paint off where everybody looked like ghosts with the powder everywhere. It was funny to see everyone covered with dust. It was even on our food, dishes, clothes, beds... Then, we treated rust with "Purple Haze" acid, then used primers called "Red Lead" and "Blue Death" and the barnacle killer paints that are now banned. Was it harmful? Probably. I'm over 50 now and I think I feel appropriate for a 50-year-old person (memory loss, pain in joints...). However, if you feel you've been affected, you need to see a doctor pronto! Whether you'll be compensated financially, unlikely. But, your medical condition should be treated if you feel injured, regardless of who's at fault. I'd start with a VA physical and be very specific on telling your doctor what you think. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 26,849 times
i was on the uss kearsarege in 1969 helped decommission it, by sanding lead based paint and primar with orange lead. my body was covered from head to toe with the dust.i was a bosun mate and that was our job.i have every symptom there is from being exposed to lead and i am fighting the v.a. and have been now for about 11 years.stay in contact and i will too.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Ah yes the good ol days, chipping paint with a pneumatic needle gun, then repainting with red lead primer. USS Saratoga 67/69.

Fortunately sewed on my crow shortly after coming aboard so expose was limited. 65 and no joint problems or memory issues (I hope). Of course then I often used toluene to clean special weapons

Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Depending on what age you are its more common for you to have been expose to lead paint when a child than as a adult really. The type of exposer from your having actually mouth things with lead paint means much worse expose when a child.I would be muchmore worried about exposure to asbestos i a ship really but eve that often takes year unless you were a insulator wrokig with it unwrapped. This si why wrapped undesturbed asbestos is really not much of a danger compared to toehr forms like found in homes and in worker using the materials.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
"If you are concerned about lead exposure, please talk to your health care provider. A simple blood test is all that is needed to determine if you have an elevated lead level."

And

Read This Page and contact them: Lead - War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC)

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-06-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 53,504 times
Default VA Lead Paint

SailorDave, I went with my brother yesterday to the VA "C & P" office. They mostly do Agent Orange during war time, and my brother wasn't in then. He cleaned paint brushes and rollers that had Red Lead in the Primer and paint in 9x9 paint lockers for years. No gloves and breathing the fumes. Then, later was a gunny with the asbestos. We asked about the lead, because we believe a lot of his health problems stem from this. They said there is a registry, which names will be put on, but we had to submit his DD 214's for her to check which ships he was on. She didn't believe it was for lead or asbestos. Although he remembers all the ship's names, she had to have the DD214's to look it up. [mod] Links edited. [/mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've already sent this question to the VA and am awaiting an answer but I also wanted to aske it here. Does anyone know if the VA has a program for testing former sailors for lead exposure from the lead paint used on the ships? From what I read so far, it seems that if you have lead in the body as an adult it can result in memory loss and pain in the joints, something I'm beginning to feel at 40 years old and am not sure if it's age or my exposure to lead. I also read that you have to be treated to have the lead removed. At the time I was in we didn't use respirators to chip the old paint off the bulkheads and this was a ship built in the 60s. We used a primer that scared me. If you left the can open too long it would dry into a solid rubbery green block. We were told the primer and the paint at the time was lead based. Should I get tested by my family doctor and send the results to the VA or see if they'll do the testing first?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-09-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerSis View Post
Surely there is someone (many someones) out there that know what to do or who to ask about being tested
Yes, contact U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. You can start by reading this page: Lead - War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) and then also this page: ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Lead

"If you are concerned about lead exposure, please talk to your health care provider. A simple blood test is all that is needed to determine if you have an elevated lead level."

Rich

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 53,504 times
This is a great website; thanks for posting.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 26,732 times
update for poncho do your research cause lead only stays in ur blood for a short period of time before leaving your body however the damage that it causes stays with you forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues