Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

The Coast Guard because it's harder to get into, the educational levels are higher, and the mission has a unique appeal. BTW, I have not been in any branch of the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Sorry, beg to differ. When a real war is declared, the CG becomes part of the Navy. In WW2, it was the CG that took the landing crafts onto the beach of Normandy. The CG took high causalties for that service. In Viet Nam the CG was running small boats on the rivers.
Yes it has a military mission however it is aligned under the Dept of Homeland Security, not the DoD. Up until 2003 they were under the Dept of Transportation. Not trying to slight the CG in any way, they do serve as a military branch per se, but not under the DoD. At least not during peacetime. From what I've heard, the CG has the second toughest boot camp after the Marines.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,870 times
Marines Of Course, get the job done, straight foward, and no beating around the bush.

and the Air Force for taking real good care of their Airmen.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I'm the Son of a Sailor and chose the USAF because, among other reasons, I hated my dad's long cruises. I was in aircraft maintenance in the USAF and loved it. But I've gotta be honest; being a part of carrier ops on Phantoms, Tomcats, or even A-7s Corsairs would've been AWESOME! (Army Blackhawks would be a close second...)

I guess I kinda missed the OP's original intent; For me, the USAF's aircraft were the main attraction. (Which is strange, because I enlisted thinking I'd like some cushy office job. looking back, I'm glad I ended up on the flight line.)
My ex did aircraft maintenance as well as staff sergeant, at Davis Monthan. Can't remember which squadron he was in or even the airplane his crew worked on (oops), but his work was very exhausting, though he still loved it. I grew up here in Tucson and we used to take field trips to the base when I was in school, out to the flight line, it was really cool to see! Anyways, props to you! you're job has always sounded really exhausting! I didn't realize there were so many aircraft mechanics lurking around!

I'm a civilian though, but I have to agree that Air force is the best. I have friends/family in various branches of the military and A.F. takes care of their members the best. You guys are the spoiled branch! I would have to rank Navy 2nd though. My brother and one of my good friends are in it and they get to see the world..makes me jealous!

Anyways, this board is so interesting to read since I have so many friends as well as some family in the military, it gives me some insight into their lives. Thank you all for your service!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Yes it has a military mission however it is aligned under the Dept of Homeland Security, not the DoD. Up until 2003 they were under the Dept of Transportation. Not trying to slight the CG in any way, they do serve as a military branch per se, but not under the DoD. At least not during peacetime. From what I've heard, the CG has the second toughest boot camp after the Marines.
Sorry, Coolhand68, but you are gonna get hammered on this one. They are very much a part of the military by virtue of being subject to the same UCMJ. Are you aware Coasties are decorated with the same medals and ribbons as other branches of the military, up to and including the Congressional Medal of Honor? How could they not be 'real' military, those honors are not awarded to civilians? They are not aligned with the DoD because they have missions and powers far reaching the limited scope of the DoD. Are you aware they are the only agency empowered to board any vessel anywhere without it being considered an act of war? Coasties have been serving and dying for this country since 1790, up to and including the current conflict. To suggest that they are not 'real' military disrespects their service and their sacrifice.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Sorry, Coolhand68, but you are gonna get hammered on this one. They are very much a part of the military by virtue of being subject to the same UCMJ. Are you aware Coasties are decorated with the same medals and ribbons as other branches of the military, up to and including the Congressional Medal of Honor? How could they not be 'real' military, those honors are not awarded to civilians? They are not aligned with the DoD because they have missions and powers far reaching the limited scope of the DoD. Are you aware they are the only agency empowered to board any vessel anywhere without it being considered an act of war? Coasties have been serving and dying for this country since 1790, up to and including the current conflict. To suggest that they are not 'real' military disrespects their service and their sacrifice.
nice post, micoastie. i worked with a few coasties, and they were pretty hard workers, and received some pretty cool training. i even got to work construction on a coast guard base after i left active duty usmc. i was jealous about how much time they got to devote to pt every day (hours of soccer and football and ultimate frizbee).

anyway, i'm getting sidetracked. all of the branches do different things, so it is kind of pointless in many ways to talk about your favorite. favorite as far as what? do you like a sports car or a pickup truck more? they do different jobs, so it really depends on what you are trying to evaluate.

over all, i'm fond of my marine corps. but i've had enough good and bad experiences with them all (except that the only bad experiences i had with the coast guard was pulling insulation out of their buildings after the usmc), and i've had enough friends and relatives in them all that i can find many things that i like about all of them.

aaron out.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM

I am not disrespecting them or selling them short. Their status on paper has nothing to do with their accomplishments. If you really have an issue with it, take it up with the Dept of Homeland Security and the DoD. I never once said they aren't "real" in what they do or what they've accomplished.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Hey. they could be aligned with the Dept. of Sanitation as far as I'm concerned and they would still be military to me and to every other Coastie family. You're the one with the issue; maybe you should talk to Ms. Napolitano and Bob Gates.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM

No, no issue here, I stated that the CG was my favorite branch. I don't need to speak with anyone. Have a better day.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
This is what the United States Coast Guard says about the United States Coast Guard:

USCG: About Us

Quote:
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a military branch of the United States involved in maritime law, mariner assistance, and search and rescue, among other duties of coast guards elsewhere. One of the seven uniformed services of the United States, and the smallest armed service of the United States, its stated mission is to protect the public, the environment, and the United States economic and security interests in any maritime region in which those interests may be at risk, including international waters and America's coasts, ports, and inland waterways.

USCG has a broad and important role in homeland security, law enforcement, search and rescue, marine environmental pollution response, and the maintenance of river, intracoastal and offshore aids to navigation (ATON). It also lays claim to being the United States' oldest continuous seagoing service. The United States Coast Guard has about 40,150 men and women on active duty.

......on February 25, 2003 it became part of the Department of Homeland Security.

As members of a military service, Coast Guardsmen on active and reserve service are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and receive the same pay and allowances as members of the same pay grades in the other four armed services.

Note: The Coast Guard also operates under the Department of Defense during wartime, and in military operations.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues