Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM

313 posts, read 676,598 times

Advertisements

At least they would be doing something more positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,976 times
I do believe it is a great idea and i have told my buddies that same thing for years. Instead of putting th e gangbangers in jail they really shouldhave an alternative job. The military does provide a human with the tools that will make even their peers proud of them.

I haven't heard one judge perscribe the military to a gangbanger as an alternitive to their sentence for bad conduct.

Would also put their cans amongst other people who may have to cover them during times of war contact. The gangbangers may also need additional training that will show the military they will be good for our country and that may take an additional 18 weeks prior to basic training.....We may even find it necessary to equip them with additional pea shooters instead of M4's. If and when the gangbangers go into the military the initial 18 weeks will be a starting point. This way the drill Sgts. will be able to kick their cans when go out of order.....

Then send their as &%$ to a combat company as point man for 3 or more tours.....

Old 10-13-2009, 07:50 PM

True, you hit on a lot of good points. The military would teach them a lot of life skills so when they return to civilian life they would have a stronger foundation.

BTW Why doesn't anyone recommend the military to these guys!! (schools,church,police).

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
No;this never work when judges did this. instead they brought their problems to the military. its like bring a crimainal into your family.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I do see one major problem with this:

In the military you HAVE to have soldiers you can TRUST. While it sounds appealing to throw these young, healthy thugs into a war to protect the country they pi$$ on, most of them would be a detriment.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I do see one major problem with this:

In the military you HAVE to have soldiers you can TRUST. While it sounds appealing to throw these young, healthy thugs into a war to protect the country they pi$$ on, most of them would be a detriment.
You don't think the military would teach them more responsibility especially in boot camp?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No;this never work when judges did this. instead they brought their problems to the military. its like bring a crimainal into your family.
Was this tried before?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
You don't think the military would teach them more responsibility especially in boot camp?
Yes, in an earlier time of our military. Today, the military does not want "problem children". As much as I support our need for a strong military, certain changes do sadden me. It used to be a choice, a ray of hope, for the under-skilled; it was also a choice for the rebellious (and NOT a choice during the draft ~ and I assume that this is when boot camps were at their most ruggedness).

I think American military is transitioning into becoming too refined.

Ideally, I'd love to see a bunch of those little gangbangers be trained into using their energies in the military. But it would be a LOT of work ~ particularly with those in years of high drug-trafficing.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
I don't know. When the Sgt. yells for them to get down, they might be more apt to get up and start dancing.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM

175 posts, read 302,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
There are boot camp type systems that some "problem kids" are entered into that gives them the atmosphere of boot camp while not having them actually going to the real deal. A kid I knew in high school went through one and it did help him out. Personally I feel uncomfortable with the idea of arming dangerous gang-bangers and giving them so much access to learning about and using even more high powered weapons. While it may help some, it likely will give enough others more chances to create even more trouble that I don't agree with doing it. Plus in a time when they aren't hurting so much for recruiting, I'd rather the spots go to qualified people who have already showed responsibility than to someone who had to choose either this or jail.

I think enough people would have a hard time trusting a person like this that it would make it tough for both sides to get along. To me that adds an unneeded problem when it comes to building unit cohesiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues