Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
The British I can tolerate, but then again we don't go around calling our retired officers by their rank til they die either.

Since the Germans never actually go into battle, they can just keep quiet.

In our defense, alot of the awards Americans aregiven are campaign ribbons and the like. We get those because we actually, you know, deploy & fight wars and stuff. I got 4 seperate medals for Desert Storm, the US NDSM for service in wartime, the SW Asian campaign award and "thank you" medals from both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
Seems to me our retired Generals and Admirals etc are usually called by their ranks.
I imagine all of us who posted on this have numerous campaign ribbons,my
Expeditionary Medal has 5 clusters, PUC and AOM 2,which is unusual but no credit to me.

I'd have to disagree about the Germans, true their country isn't into wars anymore, but the Bundeswehr officers I've known well(5-6) were highly professional and VERY well educated, general level of education way above our standards IMHO ,and I believe that does matter.
In any event you will never meet anybody that doesn't know something you don't, its foolish to dismiss any one/group out of hand.

Battle of Dien Bien Phu was mentioned at BN officers meeting before we went to RVN, none of them had ever heard of it.Something told me this wasn't going to turn out so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Seems to me our retired Generals and Admirals etc are usually called by their ranks.
I imagine all of us who posted on this have numerous campaign ribbons,my
Expeditionary Medal has 5 clusters, PUC and AOM 2,which is unusual but no credit to me.

I'd have to disagree about the Germans, true their country isn't into wars anymore, but the Bundeswehr officers I've known well(5-6) were highly professional and VERY well educated, general level of education way above our standards IMHO ,and I believe that does matter.
In any event you will never meet anybody that doesn't know something you don't, its foolish to dismiss any one/group out of hand.

Battle of Dien Bien Phu was mentioned at BN officers meeting before we went to RVN, none of them had ever heard of it.Something told me this wasn't going to turn out so well.
With the Brits I was referring to the stereotype of the old man being called "The Brigadier" or "The Captain".

The few German officers I met - Junior officers and cadets - where also good eggs. But they should be highly educated. They never deploy & school is as good of use for all the time have as any!

Just taking a jab as they are at us by laughing at the whole medal thing.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times
Quote:
With the Brits I was referring to the stereotype of the old man being called "The Brigadier" or "The Captain".

The few German officers I met - Junior officers and cadets - where also good eggs. But they should be highly educated. They never deploy & school is as good of use for all the time have as any!

I was referring to the Germans civilian education.I knew many american officers who were very poorly educated. I had one,a NC State grad in Dairy Science, who I had to do all his paperwork for as he could barely read and write.

Last edited by Wingfoot; 12-17-2009 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
And then the flip side of the coin is the people who get put in for medals for something that deserves it and is impressive within the career field, but some person who works at a desk says "that's their job" and either knocks it down a level or two or does something similar to delay or fight it.

Seen it happen. Can't really do much about it. In the end, a person's professional reputation will speak for them even when the medal is not there.

But that's really not very relevant to the thread. This thread just made me think of it.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
And then the flip side of the coin is the people who get put in for medals for something that deserves it and is impressive within the career field, but some person who works at a desk says "that's their job" and either knocks it down a level or two or does something similar to delay or fight it.

Seen it happen. Can't really do much about it. In the end, a person's professional reputation will speak for them even when the medal is not there.

But that's really not very relevant to the thread. This thread just made me think of it.
Agreed. Its sad that awards are given with rank in mind.

Their are probably alot of E-3,4's & 5's who have been given ARCOM's or B Stars for courage under fire that should have SS or DSC's while O6 brigade commanders & senior staffers are getting a B. Star for basically showing up in theater.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Another problem in the Army is that normal peacetime medals go from an Army Achievement Medal ( AAM) to a Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) and finally the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM).

In a wartime environment the first medal (level) that normally denotes exceptional service is a Bronze Star.

My point being that If there was another wartime medal just below the Bronze Star than maybe a lot more enlisted people would receive it and be honored by its award.

During OIF/OEF I've seen way too many Senior Commanders and Sergeant Majors get the Bronze Star and the enlisted would get an Army Commendation Medal. A medal which means very little to them because Snuffy back in the states got the same medal for shinning his boots...

Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Another problem in the Army is that normal peacetime medals go from an Army Achievement Medal ( AAM) to a Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) and finally the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM).

In a wartime environment the first medal (level) that normally denotes exceptional service is a Bronze Star.

My point being that If there was another wartime medal just below the Bronze Star than maybe a lot more enlisted people would receive it and be honored by its award.

During OIF/OEF I've seen way too many Senior Commanders and Sergeant Majors get the Bronze Star and the enlisted would get an Army Commendation Medal. A medal which means very little to them because Snuffy back in the states got the same medal for shinning his boots...

There is a personal valor award lower than the Bronze Star. It's the Army Commendation Medal with V device.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Good info, I've never seen anyone in a unit I was in awarded the V device.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Good info, I've never seen anyone in a unit I was in awarded the V device.
I've seen them, but for some reason they're rare.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:

The captain, does not happen unless you are married to Her Majesties daughter, then you better perform unless you wish to meet the block and the axe in the Tower of London
Nope, field grade rank or above to be called by your retired rank in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues