Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 12:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
That is absolutely VA for 100% disabled. SS is about half of that and much harder to qualify for even for those who have paid into the system for 20+ years.
If I recall, and I'd have to look back in the thread, you did not say it was 100% disabled, but stressed that why would a vet not go for that? My husband is 70% and not collecting ANYTHING like that. If a vet qualifies for 100%, then I say give it to them. I cannot IMAGINE living with that (the disability), as the vet or the spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Many of them have committed suicide having been untreated for so long before getting help. They therefore don't get paid if it makes you feel better knowing that. Its easy to say move on, get over it, when you don't understand how it can paralyze and effect the mind permanently. The most decorated hero of WW 11, Audie Murphy of hollywood movie fame, eventually killed himself.
Sorry, you are wrong. Audie Murphy did not kill himself. "Murphy died in a plane crash in Virginia in 1971"
Reference: Audie Murphy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Tragically, he died in an airplane accident in 1971. "
Reference: Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website

"No one sees as much combat as Murphy did without complications. He suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or what was called "battle fatigue" in his day. The hero spoke publicly about the problem and urged the federal government to study the emotional impact war has on veterans.

The then 46-year-old Murphy was a passenger on a plane on May 28, 1971, when fog and rain contributed to it flying into a mountain near Roanoke, Va. He was buried with full military honors on June 7, 1971."
Reference: Audie Leon Murphy, Major, United States Army

Please don't come to this forum with internet bs etc. PTSD is a serious problem. lets not open ourselves to distrust from the rest of the community.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sorry, you are wrong. Audie Murphy did not kill himself. "Murphy died in a plane crash in Virginia in 1971"
Reference: Audie Murphy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Tragically, he died in an airplane accident in 1971. "
Reference: Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website

"No one sees as much combat as Murphy did without complications. He suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or what was called "battle fatigue" in his day. The hero spoke publicly about the problem and urged the federal government to study the emotional impact war has on veterans.

The then 46-year-old Murphy was a passenger on a plane on May 28, 1971, when fog and rain contributed to it flying into a mountain near Roanoke, Va. He was buried with full military honors on June 7, 1971."
Reference: Audie Leon Murphy, Major, United States Army

Please don't come to this forum with internet bs etc. PTSD is a serious problem. lets not open ourselves to distrust from the rest of the community.
I stand corrected, relied on memory, should have checked the facts first. Glad you were aware enough to correct my error and point out the more relevant facts about PTSD concerning him. Many people don't realize that many WW11 soldiers were effected and hospitalized for it. They never received treatment for it and were told to, as the OP suggested, get over it and move on. Not an effective treatment plan then or now.

Last edited by phma; 12-14-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
That is absolutely VA for 100% disabled. SS is about half of that and much harder to qualify for even for those who have paid into the system for 20+ years.
Some might correctly believe that the VA is the more difficult system to qualify for. To qualify you actually have to serve in the military. That eliminates most people. Its not a system you pay money into to receive benefits.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
I don't think most did "cure themselves." Many beat their wives and/or were assaultive to others. Some committed suicide. Some took it out on their kids, some drank themselves to death, etc.
Nah. We cured ourselves, the same as past veterans have for hundreds of years.
As has been so often stated in this thread, there are varying degrees of PTSD, varying amounts of mean SOB's whose actions have nothing to do with war experience, and so forth.

PTSD can be cured. Or maybe "dealt with" is a better phrase. At any rate you usually get better, even if it takes a long time. Usually.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Some might correctly believe that the VA is the more difficult system to qualify for. To qualify you actually have to serve in the military. That eliminates most people. Its not a system you pay money into to receive benefits.
It is harder to qualify as "disabled" in the SS system vs the VA system from what I have seen and from what people have said here.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:27 PM

607 posts, read 761,399 times
Quote:
I don't think most did "cure themselves." Many beat their wives and/or were assaultive to others. Some committed suicide. Some took it out on their kids, some drank themselves to death, etc.

I think most people coped and "cured themselves"..

Military men and women are strong....and human nature is resilient, and can deal with anything, individually OR collectively..

Most people did not beat their wives or become drunks coming home from any war..WW1, 2, Korea, 'Nam., etc.....actually, after most wars, young soldiers went to school on the GI Bill, bought homes on the same, and raised families, and made our nation the great place it is...

Keep in mind most people that beat their wives and drunks are people who never served. You don't have to serve in the military to have a predisposition towards the same....

Old 12-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It is harder to qualify as "disabled" in the SS system vs the VA system from what I have seen and from what people have said here.
I understand what you are saying. The SS system requires you to be 100 % disabled to receive any benefits. The VA system allows for a rating to be granted for less than 100%. Rightly so, it recognizes that injury can occur yet the vet. can still do productive work, but is at a disadvantage in opportunity.

For example a high school basketball star delays college for a term in the military, and looses his legs. He is not likely to pursue a position in the NBA. His opportunities are more limited and he is rated and compensated for his limitations.
A number of jobs require you to take a physical and your eye sight and hearing must be within set limits. Policeman, fireman. truck drivers, heavy equipment operators and many other jobs could be out of reach by injury the vet received in military service.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nonsense. Absolute, utter, nonsense.
My father was a D-Day veteran and he was the guy those vets reached out to when they were hitting bottom. And I'm damn proud of him for being there for his friends. (That included his best friend who was a survivor, just barely, of the Bataan Death March.)

We all have different life experiences. Does every vet do it? Of course not. But what I described is something I witnessed it up close and personal.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-15-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 06:33 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
The prevailing treatment for PTSD is therapy to “decondition” the fear response. But guilt, shame, raging resentment and betrayal are different from fear. To overcome them requires relationships that rebuild a soldier's sense of trust in himself and others, no small order given the effects of war.
The deepest war wound may be the anguish of moral injury - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues