Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:05 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
... As for the weapons, my other half is 100% VA disabled. PTSD from Vietnam. 2 Purple Hearts. He has his concealed gun license, no problem.

He should get as much as he can not before it gets more difficult. Good luck.
A close friend of mine is a gunsmith. He says that in his dealings with ATF agents, they are excited about the various Federal databases being linked soon.

The form you fill-out and sign to purchase a firearm, has a bunch of questions. Among them is a question asking if you have ever been treated for mental health issues. Another question is about marijuana use.

Anyone treated for PSTD and/or anyone with a medical marijuana card, would be forbidden from owning a firearm.

If you sign their form, and you have lied about either of these issues, it is a felony.

The ATF is looking forward to getting the VA database linked to the ATF database, so they can begin arresting anyone with PTSD who owns a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A close friend of mine is a gunsmith. He says that in his dealings with ATF agents, they are excited about the various Federal databases being linked soon.

The form you fill-out and sign to purchase a firearm, has a bunch of questions. Among them is a question asking if you have ever been treated for mental health issues. Another question is about marijuana use.

Anyone treated for PSTD and/or anyone with a medical marijuana card, would be forbidden from owning a firearm.

If you sign their form, and you have lied about either of these issues, it is a felony.

The ATF is looking forward to getting the VA database linked to the ATF database, so they can begin arresting anyone with PTSD who owns a firearm.
Well I'm pretty sure he didn't lie since you get discount for being a disabled vet. This is Texas after all! Lol.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
......Okay..sounds like some differing perspectives on the % ratings......Now going through my Congressman to see if my son can be seen for an evaluation (scheduled) just like our CIC and the new VA chief said would happen..... expeditiously.....sure.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
......Okay..sounds like some differing perspectives on the % ratings......Now going through my Congressman to see if my son can be seen for an evaluation (scheduled) just like our CIC and the new VA chief said would happen..... expeditiously.....sure.
Is he working with any of the veteran organizations? I did my VA compensation package through the DAV - Disabled American Vets.

When I retired, we had a week long out-processing schedule. This was for all that were leaving the military - retired or not re-enlisting etc. Even those that were getting kicked out went through the process. The DAV was there to help us fill out the forms. They knew what would get rated and what would not. They included everything anyway, just in case.

Did your son go through something similar. Does he have medical records to back up his claims.

There are other organizations that can help. For example, we also have the Texas Vets. They all have offices in the VA clinics - in our area anyway.

It can be difficult going it alone.

Educate yourself, read the regulations.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Well I'm pretty sure he didn't lie since you get discount for being a disabled vet. This is Texas after all! Lol.
We get discounts for being vets here too. Being a pro-gun state and all, we have: Open Carry, Concealed Carry, Full-Autos and Silencers. This is Maine after all

The point is that the Federal form he signed, asks if you are being treated for any mental health conditions, if you have ever been treated for any mental health conditions. If you say 'yes' on that form, then you can not buy a firearm.

The ATF wants access into the VA database, so they can see who has PTSD and has been buying guns anyway. They want to prosecute those gun owners.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
We get discounts for being vets here too. Being a pro-gun state and all, we have: Open Carry, Concealed Carry, Full-Autos and Silencers. This is Maine after all

The point is that the Federal form he signed, asks if you are being treated for any mental health conditions, if you have ever been treated for any mental health conditions. If you say 'yes' on that form, then you can not buy a firearm.

The ATF wants access into the VA database, so they can see who has PTSD and has been buying guns anyway. They want to prosecute those gun owners.
Don't they have better things to do?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Sounds like gossip to me.

Wants and gets are two different things...

You have a verifiable source?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-16-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 10:58 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
I don't want to turn this into a gun rights discussion.
The US Dept of Veterans Affairs is required by law to identify those veterans who suffer from a mental disease that would require the US ATF to flag that person. ATF is not trying to gain access to VA records as the VA has already been reporting to ATF. However, since the VA's entire system is based on "levels" of everything, they are one of the few health groups that can selectively report based on the exact wording of the law. The ATF has already agreed that the VA's method of reporting is as accurate an identifier as the law requires. As a result, veterans receiving treatment, assistance, compensation or identified as having a mental disease does not alone require reporting; it is based on if and only if the veteran's disease cross certain issues. Even the degree of the disability rating will not trigger reporting. There is NO need to fear some ATF or VA witch hunt on this issue.

I will warn that since mental diseases is also subjective, a veteran who is playing the system to get or increase their monthly compensation runs a chance of crossing the lines at their own hands.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM

950 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Jasper,so sorry to hear about your dad. Maybe the drug use was a way to try to cope.The military and VA really need to do more to help these guys and gals. Of course they have to want to get help themselves.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:57 PM

96 posts, read 175,755 times
Default Ptsd....

I am dealing with a significant other that has PTSD. He had multiple deployments in combat areas. He retired in 2013.
Since his retirement, he seems to get more irritable and angry every single day.
It got to the point where I had to move out.
I love him desperately and want to see him healed and healthy (even if we don't get back together).
I was finally able to get him to make an appointment with a vet center. He'll be going to that next week.
Any ideas on how I can be supportive of him without "crowding" him?
He has indicated he wants to work on and continue our relationship, but we both feel he is not ready for us to live together again...yet.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues