Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The crew has had to make a sign to hang on one door, this sign was the entire modification required. The crew used a previously existing 'Blowing Sanitarys' sign and painted over it.
OK, Forest Beekeepr, I GOTTA ask; what the heck does "Blowing Sanitarys" mean???

Since it's just one of those days today, I've gotta tell y'all about what I saw on the C-141 cargo aircraft I serviced: On the left side of the cargo compartment about 3' aft of the entrance door is a rectangular box about 14" long and about 6" deep. It was stenciled: "SNATCH BLOCK ASSEMBLY" Apparently, it's part of the aircraft's cargo winching system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Very politically correctly put. PS while I don't blame you one bit for trying to tip toe around this, the whole thing and topics like this annoy the (bleep) out of me as our idiotic society is so all about PC Nazism now.

IT'S A STUPID IDEA. For reasons I think most have likely covered and then some. Also water is wet. And no it has nothing to do with women being as capable.
'Water is wet', yes it can be.

It can also be cold.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
OK, Forest Beekeeper, I GOTTA ask; what the heck does "Blowing Sanitaries" mean???

Since it's just one of those days today, I've gotta tell y'all about what I saw on the C-141 cargo aircraft I serviced: On the left side of the cargo compartment about 3' aft of the entrance door is a rectangular box about 14" long and about 6" deep. It was stenciled: "SNATCH BLOCK ASSEMBLY" Apparently, it's part of the aircraft's cargo winching system.
Ooops it is a sub phrase.

We have a bunch of signs see. Whenever sanitary tanks [black-water tanks] get full we shut all valves going into it. Most of the valves going into a sanitary tank have stainless steel funnels welded to them with toilet seats, they are our toilets. The tanks have to be pressurized to * above sea-pressure, then a sea-valve can be opened and the black-water will 'flow' out. In this manner we empty the tank with no bubbles and no pump noises.

During this process you do not want anyone to open a toilet valve.

If anyone did open a toilet valve, it would 'vent' the pressure, foam and effluent from that tank into that head, with great pressure.

We lovingly call anyone who has made the mistake of venting a 'venter'. The pressure will lift a venter off his feet, it will push effluent into their face flushing completely through their sinuses, and up under their eye lids.

So to warn crewmen when the san tanks are being pressurized we hang a sign.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:15 PM

139 posts, read 254,693 times
Women on Submarines - Thoughts?

No.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I still firmly believe that the Submarine's current design precludes women from currently riding on them for more than a few days.

I have a good friend that works for Electric Boat design team, and he said they've already been tasked with redesigning the latest version of the VA Class Submarine to accommodate female berthing and heads.

It's coming.
Female berthing! You mean they'll have babies on subs too!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ok, I get the part where the sexes can't be separated efficiently and without causing problems. Which is why I wouldn't have them separated. But apparently, I am way ahead of my own time.

That stress comment had to have been a joke, right? Women can't handle high stress? Are you for real?
The ones I saw in the military couldn't. A lot of them were slackers and tried to use sex to get things too.
Just sayin'. If you don't believe me, I don't care. Most guys know this is the truth.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the maturity level of the men.
Well even if it did, are you saying it's worth it to you to destroy the combat readiness of our military just to prove men are insensitive beasts?

Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I don't like the idea of women in the Navy at all. It was bad enough that they put them on auxiliary ships with men. I remember there being some "issues".

Old 05-02-2010, 05:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I have no place in this thread, other than my father was in subs WW-2 pacific theater. So subs are intertesting. I took a tour on a ww-2 sub and got the VIP treatment, seeing things most folks on tour don't, and spent a long time with the swabbie as he called himself, talking about his days in WW-2.

Since i am a mechanic, he had me in the engine compartment which is by invite only as well. It helped a lot my wife and I were the only folks on the tour too.

Where could one living in New England go see a modern Sub?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have no place in this thread, other than my father was in subs WW-2 pacific theater. So subs are interesting. I took a tour on a ww2 sub and got the VIP treatment, seeing things most folks on tour don't, and spent a long time with the swabbie as he called himself, talking about his days in WW-2.

Since i am a mechanic, he had me in the engine compartment which is by invite only as well. It helped a lot my wife and I were the only folks on the tour too.

Where could one living in New England go see a modern Sub?
Go to the Groton Sub Base, Monday through Friday one sub is designated the 'tour boat' and is open for tours. [Assuming that any subs are in port].

Also the Nautilus Museum is very good, and free, and has the Nautilus sub tied up there. It is also open to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues