Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe it isn't as new as one might think, but I doubt Black on White beatings were going on between 1876-1965. This stuff is relatively recent compared
to White on Black beating that have been going on since the USA has existed.

Whatever became of the attackers(hopefully they were arrested) who did what they did in Sherman Park?

I have a question that is still making me wonder: What is motivating the persons in Chicago to do those things vs. this stff isn't happening in Atlanta. Atlanta is a majority Black city, where as Chicago and Milwaukee aren't. There are people who might think that these attacks would go on in Atlanta alot more simply due to demographics. However, they aren't happening. Buckhead is Atlanta's version of the Magnificent Mile. Last time I checked, the stuff that is going on in Chicago isn't going on in Atlanta. I'm not saying it should either, because it shouldn't. It begs something to study. What is it with Atlanta that this stuff isn't happening?
You keep asking this question. I have no answers but I'll throw some stuff out there.
Historically and on average, Milwaukee's crime rate is a good bit lower than Atlanta's. Atlanta isn't exactly known around the country as being any kind of safe-haven (neither is Milwaukee). On a roll economically perhaps, but certainly not one of America's top-10-safest whatevers. A quick skim of today's paper down there shows a few shootings, cabbie carjackings, and schools accused of doctoring test scores. I'm sure it's a nice town, but it's not without it's own problems.
All sorts of crap goes down in Milwaukee as well. But for the most part, it's a clean, tidy, polite town from what I've seen. There are some really bad areas, but overall it's nice. It isn't being overrun completely by thugs. People don't have to live an hour and a half out to feel safe at home (unless they're especially paranoid).

Continuing to bring up Chicago in Milwaukee's forum, well, let's just say they're two different worlds pretty much.
As for Milwaukee, there could be many things causing this to happen.
This is just a theory, and I'm not sure I subscribe to it myself, but Milwaukee is one of those "we're all in it together" type of places. This is evident in the culture and politics much more so than any place else I've ever lived. Perhaps this thinking spills over into the punk-kid culture as well. Maybe they just like to commit their crimes in larger groups. I don't know. It's just an idea.
Perhaps the type of thuggery that takes place in the two towns are just different. Not better or worse, just different.
Is there more racial tension or oppression here than in Atlanta? Again, I don't know. Maybe racial tension has something to do with all of this. Maybe just plain old, no-reason-needed racism. Perhaps someone should do a survey or study on this around the country and make comparisons. I'm not sure what outcome it would have but it would be interesting.

Back to Atlanta. I don't know that there is anything special about it that the types of crimes in question haven't occurred there. I've probably said this before, but it's likely just a question of when will it happen, not if or could it happen in Atlanta.

Last edited by northbound74; 07-06-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Actually it's been happening in Boston and Philly as well.
It's happening many, many places. I've been reading about Milwaukee, Philly, Boston, Peoria, Rochester, NY, Cleveland, Miami. Smaller incidents in South Carolina. Drudge get's demonized for linking to these stories, but otherwise, we probably wouldn't know about what's happening all over the country. The national media won't cover these inciddents for the most part, and the local media often seems to try to soften the story, along with local authorities, who are always most concerned about scaring off tourists or causing more white flight to the burbs. A lot of this stuff doesn't get covered at all.

I think we have a very violent youth urban culture that has been simmering for years and is just starting to boil.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
You keep asking this question. I have no answers but I'll throw some stuff out there.
Historically and on average, Milwaukee's crime rate is a good bit lower than Atlanta's. Atlanta isn't exactly known around the country as being any kind of safe-haven (neither is Milwaukee). On a roll economically perhaps, but certainly not one of America's top-10-safest whatevers. A quick skim of today's paper down there shows a few shootings, cabbie carjackings, and schools accused of doctoring test scores. I'm sure it's a nice town, but it's not without it's own problems.
All sorts of crap goes down in Milwaukee as well. But for the most part, it's a clean, tidy, polite town from what I've seen. There are some really bad areas, but overall it's nice. It isn't being overrun completely by thugs. People don't have to live an hour and a half out to feel safe at home (unless they're especially paranoid).

Continuing to bring up Chicago in Milwaukee's forum, well, let's just say they're two different worlds pretty much.
As for Milwaukee, there could be many things causing this to happen.
This is just a theory, and I'm not sure I subscribe to it myself, but Milwaukee is one of those "we're all in it together" type of places. This is evident in the culture and politics much more so than any place else I've ever lived. Perhaps this thinking spills over into the punk-kid culture as well. Maybe they just like to commit their crimes in larger groups. I don't know. It's just an idea.
Perhaps the type of thuggery that takes place in the two towns are just different. Not better or worse, just different.
Is there more racial tension or oppression here than in Atlanta? Again, I don't know. Maybe racial tension has something to do with all of this. Maybe just plain old, no-reason-needed racism. Perhaps someone should do a survey or study on this around the country and make comparisons. I'm not sure what outcome it would have but it would be interesting.

Back to Atlanta. I don't know that there is anything special about it that the types of crimes in question haven't occurred there. I've probably said this before, but it's likely just a question of when will it happen, not if or could it happen in Atlanta.
I know Atlanta isn't without its problems. However, the stuff being mentioned in Milwaukee and Chicago(with mass group violence) doesn't seem to be happening here in Atlanta. That is specifically what I'm talking about. Yes, Atlanta, historically, has been more violent. It was a violent city long before. The southern subculture of violence(with the "honor culture") might have had something to do with it. I keep asking because I figure someone on this forum has got to have the answer. Oddly enough, I have alot of questions that few people seem to have answers for.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM

This thread have also given me a new perspective after perusing other threads, and thinking about my own personal experiences in my life. I have done some very important thinking, and some things I have gotten from this thread.
1) There seems to be less concern if African-Americans are hurting other African-Americans.
2) There is more concern when African-Americans harm White people.

To me, this spells out a very historical pattern. Whenever African-Americans kill other African-Americans, no one cares. If White people get hurt, then some people get indignant. As an African-American, this pattern isn't surprising, but it's disturbing.

Why should we be concerned when persons of one race get hurt, and not concerned when persons of another race get hurt? Aren't we all human beings? Shouldn't we all be trying to work together to make sure all of our citizens, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Multiracial, etc, are safe and don't have to fear criminals? I sure do.

I speak from my personal experience that crime comes in all colors. I've been victimized by both Blacks and Whites. Moreso by White people because I lived in an area that was 90% White, so alot of my attackers were White. Still, when I look back on it, it doesn't make much difference who did what, because the end result was the same. When 5 Black youths jumped me in front of my subdivision, for no apparent reason, when a White teenager shot me with a paintball gun, when a White kid threw rocks at me during gym class, when two White kids jumped me in class, when 3 Black men assaulted and robbed me, when a Black student stole my textbook and threw it on a roof as some joke, when a White kid stole all of my money, when a Black student tried to beat me up in front in a courtyard at school, it didn't matter the race of the person. The end result was the same. I got victimized and it took away any sense of security I had. When it was in front of people it gave me a sense of humiliation.

The way I see it, being scared of "Black" criminality much more so than "White" criminality doesn't make sense to me. Whoever would suggest that segregation is the answer to the problem, well, my own experiences tell me otherwise. All it would do is concentrate criminals in tighter spaces.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletfly View Post
I have a lot of respect for you, Milwaukee City, but this article made me want to vomit. Racism by definition is a combination of prejudice and power, and in America, that power still rests with straight male Caucasians.

There is no "race reversal" or "reverse racism." Racial tension stems from inequality and injustice, both of which are still extremely prominent in cities like Milwaukee and in the United States as a whole.
tell that to Shaina Perry

Flynn calls looting, beatings in Riverwest barbaric - JSOnline

Shaina Perry remembers the punch to her face, blood streaming from a cut over her eye, her backpack with her asthma inhaler, debit card and cellphone stolen, and then the laughter.
"They just said 'Oh, white girl bleeds a lot,' " said Perry, 22, who was attacked at Kilbourn Reservoir Park over the Fourth of July weekend.

because they're a minority they can't be racist? Do yourself a favor, put down the Sociology 101 textbook and come back to life as it's really lived.

No arrests have been made in the attack on Perry.
Most of the 11 people who told the Journal Sentinel they were attacked or witnessed the attacks on their friends said that police did not take their complaints seriously. They each said police responded to the scene quickly and tended to the injured, but officers did not take statements from them and told them to leave the area.
"You've got 20-plus people giving eyewitness accounts. I'm very surprised that they said it wasn't a mob," said Mowrer.
Lange said he told an officer about the beatings but noticed the officer didn't write anything down or note his name. Bublitz tried to tell an officer that her three-speed bicycle had been stolen and that one of her friends was hurt but said the officer told her he was looking for evidence.
"About 20 of us stayed to give statements and make sure everyone was accounted for. The police wouldn't listen to us, they wouldn't take our names or statements. They told us to leave. It was completely infuriating," Bublitz said.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:19 PM

63 posts, read 205,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
because they're a minority they can't be racist? Do yourself a favor, put down the Sociology 101 textbook and come back to life as it's really lived.
I'm tempted to not argue with somebody who spews such virulence, but sure, I'll take the bait.

That is NOT racism. Racism is a combination of prejudice and power. It is institutionalized. I consider myself well-versed in sociology and that is the sociological definition and understanding of the concept; that's what it is, it's an objective fact.

People of color do not have power in society, so people of color cannot be racist. Nobody's saying that prejudice against white people cannot happen, or does not happen. The point is that that is not racism.

Look at positions of power. White people fill the stands. Look at media, look at characters in fiction, look at advertising. The standards of beauty are for white people and for white features. As a white person, I will never face cultural appropriation, I will never face marginalization solely because I am white. Incidents like what happened in Riverwest are nothing compared to what people of color face wherever they go and all of the time.

If you think racism is something that any person, including Caucasians, do face, it says a lot about your cultural awareness (or lack thereof).

Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This thread have also given me a new perspective after perusing other threads, and thinking about my own personal experiences in my life. I have done some very important thinking, and some things I have gotten from this thread.
1) There seems to be less concern if African-Americans are hurting other African-Americans.
2) There is more concern when African-Americans harm White people.
I have been arguing this point for years! when a white hottie from an upper class area goes missing or is killed, it's front page. When a 16yr black kid is gun down while taking the dog out, its regional news in brief. One reason for this is frequency. Thousands of black kids get killed a year in the US and you rarely have white people getting murdered out in the suburbs. We also as a society and media have just gone numb to the whole thing as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I have been arguing this point for years! when a white hottie from an upper class area goes missing or is killed, it's front page. When a 16yr black kid is gun down while taking the dog out, its regional news in brief. One reason for this is frequency. Thousands of black kids get killed a year in the US and you rarely have white people getting murdered out in the suburbs. We also as a society and media have just gone numb to the whole thing as well.

It isn't just the Black kids who are getting killed that few people have any outrage over. There were two Black females who were victimized and it never made the news the way Natalee Holloway did. An African-American girl in Florida went missing. It was covered for a little bit, but after that, no more.

If frequency is one reason, it isn't the only reason. I believe another reason is the fact that this attitude is nothing new. This kind of reaction to Blacks attacking other Blacks is nothing new. This kind of attitude prevailed in the 1900's. I think one of the reasons there is a distrust of the police/justice system is the fact that Black on Black crime is treated as "not urgent" unless White people get hurt.

I haven't gone numb on it. I can't go numb on it. I have many reasons I should care. I have reasons to care.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 AM

I just got some more news about the Riverwest incident. The mother of a few of the perpetrators turned her own children. I couldn't help but be amazed by this. This mother is taking responsibility for her children and making sure they learn that their actions will have consequences.

Link:Some Parents Turn In Their Children After Riverwest Incidents

It still sickens me though. For the last few years I have wanted to make a trip to Milwaukee. It is sort of a family legacy. This is my father's hometown, born and raised. The end of this summer or the beginning of the autumn will be the closest I come to ever making that trip. After seeing this incident, I am wondering, as an African-American, if I should come. I have to wonder if some people will look at me in a negative light because of what those specific persons at Riverwest and Mayfair did.

I can't do anything about the youths who did what they did at Mayfair and Riverwest, as I'm down here in the Atlanta area. The best I can do is what I've been doing already, by not doing those things. Some of the parents did the right thing by turning their children in. I commend them for that.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-08-2011 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 AM

8 posts, read 12,351 times
^^^This city isn't nearly as bad as some of the posters on this forum make it out to be...we're just an overly paranoid group of people here in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee