Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 07:43 AM

45 posts, read 118,579 times

Advertisements

Several articles lately in national media and business journals listing Milwaukee as one of the hidden gem cities of the old rust belt that is quickly redefining itself..and though it has a way to go in terms of its economy, business is trickling in! Milwaukee already has shown major improvements in dining, nightlife, incredible art scene, and quality of life. So what do the see as Milwaukee's strengths, besides the obvious proximity yo Chicago, lakefront, etc. Weaknesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM

45 posts, read 118,579 times
I think its a stretch to think we are in competition with Chicago at this point. Chicago is an alpha city. We attract some of their business being so close, which is a win win for both.But this thread was about Milwaukee the hidden gem. I am talking about the upper east side. The Washington Highlands. Oak Leaf trail. Bay View. Riverwest. Free transit for college kids. Awesome neighbors. Easy ride to the country in less than 10 minutes. The great art vibe of the city. The great college stations. Ueckers crack ups. Bluffs overlooking the Lake, in our city! Wooded trails..in the city! Huge city Parks. The exploding diversity of ethnic foods. The rural feel that keeps "insular urbanites" away!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
"Best kept secret" is a vague term that's bound to stir up debate.
Truth is, most larger midwestern cities are pretty low-key even though a lot of them have more going on than people out of the loop realize.
When I told people I was moving to Milwaukee, they automatically tried to lump it in with Detroit: an industrial, has-been, rust-belt town that's on the brink of extinction. Of course, Detroit is a proud city that deserves better than it's been getting lately.
I like Milwaukee for a lot of reasons, some of which bennydabull77 covered. I even like the weather. Seriously, highs in the 60's and 70's around the summer solstice? That's just the coolest thing to me. Where I'm from, by this point in the year I wouldn't know if I were sweating or if that was flesh melting off my bones.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Default Absolutely right

Every state has two things in common with the other states. An Alpha City and a flagship university. And other than ribbons of concrete there is little to compare.

The Alpha city light shines brightly, has name recognition, culture, history and ammeniites just as do the giant Goliath cities. To continue to compare Mllwaukee to a Goliath city is a waste of time and it serves no purpose except give that city FREE Advertising and credibility..

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to come to Milwaukee when all they read in these threads is the goodness of every other Alpha City in America and an irrational fear of Goliath.

Goliath is not in Wisconsin and neither is its politics. There are enough Alpha cities in the Midwest to form a syndicate to promote the Alpha cities and their respective regions.

Why hasn't someone done it? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
"Best kept secret" is a vague term that's bound to stir up debate.

Truth is, most larger midwestern cities are pretty low-key even though a lot of them have more going on than people out of the loop realize.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,405 times
I always compare cities to the way they were before WW2. Safe, clean towns with real ethnic neighborhoods. People did't lock their doors day or night out of fear. Very low crime. Trust between people, etc. But I realize that there was a downside to those times also. But our cities are garbage dumps compared to what they used to be before WW2. But then: Will Rogers--"things ain't what they used to be. and probably never was".

Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I always compare cities to the way they were before WW2. Safe, clean towns with real ethnic neighborhoods. People did't lock their doors day or night out of fear. Very low crime. Trust between people, etc. But I realize that there was a downside to those times also. But our cities are garbage dumps compared to what they used to be before WW2. But then: Will Rogers--"things ain't what they used to be. and probably never was".
Well, it was only good for a certain segment of the population back before WW2. As for me, I have no reason to want to live back in the days before WW2. Give me one reason why I should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee