Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 22,687 times

Advertisements

Hi, anyone familiar with Hartland, WI? Really, just wondering how minority kids will do in the Hartland school system (will they fit in, will they have any friends, etc)...doesn't seem like Hartland is diverse at all.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
I worked in hartland and I can tell you it wasn't diverse at all. However, I know nothing of the schools so can't really help you out there.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeYesOrNo View Post
Hi, anyone familiar with Hartland, WI? Really, just wondering how minority kids will do in the Hartland school system (will they fit in, will they have any friends, etc)...doesn't seem like Hartland is diverse at all.

Thanks,
The Lake Country suburbs are nice, but if diversity is what you're looking for, Hartland and surrounding communities aren't really the place to find it.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM

432 posts, read 544,863 times
Quote:
Hi, anyone familiar with Hartland, WI? Really, just wondering how minority kids will do in the Hartland school system
nice change as usually this subject has been reserved for green bay.

as with everywhere, it depends upon what kind of minority your kids are.
asians tend to fit in anywhere, but with some groups tend to be targeted due to any real or perceived success.
american indians also tend to fit in everywhere.
i've not heard of any problems with indians, so don't know, but would guess no problem except in some areas where they will be targeted due to any real or perceived success.
hispanic don't think there'll be a problem either, unless your children can't speak english. if that's the case, kids tend to target others that need special education (ex:esl tutoring). in a lot of areas there's a lot of friction between mexicans and blacks, but you won't have to worry about that in hartland.
if your kids are black, then what i've found is it can be hit or miss and a large part of that is dependent upon how the kid(s) act.
don't know if being openly gay is a 'minority' or not, but if you define it like that, then if your kids are flamingly gay and hit on people and/or put their sexuality into people's faces they know are uncomfortable with it, then they'll get friction back.

Quote:
(will they fit in, will they have any friends, etc)
no idea why you think adults can answer that about your kids because all we know is they are a minority.
and i'd imagine we won't know if they will have any friends either. kids can be funny sometimes and we don't even know you or your kids.

Quote:
...doesn't seem like Hartland is diverse at all.
if you already checked into the demographics, then why are you asking us questions we as adults cannot answer?
and as you've already checked the demographics, is this just a way to bash white people or places with a lot of white people?
if you're that uptight about it, you kids will also probably be, so go back to your demographic search and find a place
with the demography you're looking for and you will find what you are looking for...unless you're looking for something else.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Hartland is a great little suburb and in one of the best school districts in the state, I put it up there #1 or #2 depending on how you would rank Mequon. Every school district tends to have a strong suit like Shorewood, if you want a great theater school that has produced great "arts" students then go to shorewood, foreign language Nicolet is a great choice with a very good tennis program, academics then Homestead and Whitefish Bay are 1 & 2, athletics then there is no better school than the Arrowhead school district, they pump out D1 athletes like socks, but if your kid isn't good then forget about it. Arrowhead is such a huge district that unless your kid is good, they better get ready to warm the bench.

As far as location if you nature it's a great pick, the lake country is very pretty from a scenic viewpoint it's the driftless area or the southern kettle moraine unit but it has nice hills, trees, trails and lakes of course.

Hartland has a nice village area then the typical suburban subdivisions with cul-de-sacs, good access to Milwaukee with Hwy 16, 83 and 94. It's a more upper crust area especially outside the village area, the average income for a family in Hartland is $112,000 but there are plenty of affordable homes in the older subdivisions and nice low property taxes.

Minority kids will do fine, there is about 200 black people in Hartland and 300 Hispanics and 300 Asians out of 9,000 so not a lot but it's not like you will never see minorities. I wouldn't worry about race in Hartland, the bigger problem might be what kind of car do you drive but from what I have encountered there it is very laid back and people keep to themselves typical reserved Wisconsin folk.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:50 PM

46 posts, read 134,485 times
Quote:

Thanks,
I've lived in Hartland for 20 years including going to school from elementary all the way through high school. There are not many minorities at all in Hartland but from what I saw, the kids never really had a problem if you were a minority. If you find some activities that your kids enjoy and sign them up it will be even easier for them to make friends and while not diverse the area has gotten much more diverse from when I moved here in the early 90s. There are a lot of great subdivisions with a lot of kids as well so they have a good chance of making friends just by moving to an area that has a lot of kids.

How old are your kids? There are also a ton of parks all over the place. If they're young enough and if you find that your kids have trouble making friends, take them to the park (Nixon being the biggest and most crowded right in the downtown area) but there are also a lot of parks in the Hartridge subdivision (where I lived for the first couple years.)

The schools, as mentioned before are excellent both in academics and athletics.

As far as the area being affluent. That tends to be true, especially in newer homes, McMansions popping up everywhere but there is a lot of older housing stock in built up neighborhoods that are great. I grew up in a smaller house (1,200ish square feet, 3 bedroom ranch) and there are a ton of those types of houses. The neighborhood was built up when we moved there and there were a bunch of kids in the neighborhood so it was easy to meet kids before I started school that year (one of the elementary schools was right down the road from where I lived.) It was and still is a great neighborhood and I know for a fact several houses in that neighborhood are currently for sale.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM

432 posts, read 544,863 times
dang, now that sounds like a nice place!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
There is a great spot there off Cottonwood Ave called the Cottonwood Wayside. It's a nice hiking trail / bog walk. From the trail head you hike down to a boardwalk trail across the bog to an area beside the Bark River and then back around the far end. Nice little system they have there.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
I lived in Hartland 20 years ago, but I doubt its changed much. The schools were very good, the teachers we had were excellent. People are very nice and its a great area to live in. You're just a few minutes from golf, hiking, a large lake, with a boat dock and a some very nice public beaches in the area. My guess is that you be welcomed and treated quite well. I think you are making a mistake if you're thinking all those white people will be so prejudiced. That was never my experience. As long as you don't assume you deserve special treatment, I think you'd be very happy.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 22,687 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like a great place....

Last edited by MilwaukeeYesOrNo; 06-06-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee