Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:25 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,281 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here think that we'll ever get a subway system for Milwaukee.
When will we get one or why we dont have one yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,634 times
Not likely. There used to be talk of it back in the 1930s and 1940s when public transportation was still a big thing in Milwaukee. The costs involved are just too huge to think about when the demand for public transportation is not there. While I love subway systems, Milwaukee needs an infusion to boost its bus system. I think a better use of funds would be to build a solid commuter rail system to Chicago and Madison.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM

103 posts, read 513,452 times
HA! Thats a good one...

I doubt it will happen in my lifetime. Milwaukee has such poor public transportation, compared with other cities.

Then again... wait for gasoline to get to $7 or $8 a gallon, and you may see it happen... who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post

Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM

29 posts, read 251,100 times
Subway: Hell No

Light Rail: 50/50

Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 PM

145 posts, read 375,269 times
subway would never happen. the metra train connecting chicago to milwaukee has a chance of making it

Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
I don't think it would be practical for a city built on soft ground. Above ground rail, I think it is possible. I don't think there's a choice for any city that wants to keep growing and attracting new business, but that doesn't mean that the decision has to happen next year. I'm talking 10-15 years.

And not just some two mile "shuttle" to take people to and from 2 locations.

Milwaukee is still easy to get around, and relatively cheap to get around by car because distances are not that great. You know traffic isn't a problem when it stops on the freeway 1 mile from downtown and people start bailing off of the highway to find "alternate routes". For that reason, it is a tough sell for public commuter transportation. I think the city-to-city routes could do much better. It would be really nice to see Madison to Chicago, but Milwaukee to Chicago at minimum.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 PM

232 posts, read 948,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Not likely. There used to be talk of it back in the 1930s and 1940s when public transportation was still a big thing in Milwaukee. The costs involved are just too huge to think about when the demand for public transportation is not there. While I love subway systems, Milwaukee needs an infusion to boost its bus system. I think a better use of funds would be to build a solid commuter rail system to Chicago and Madison.

your going away from the question he or she is talking about transportation other than the bus in the city of milwaukee.

it can be done if designed correctly. as the post i made awhile ago there are cities that are smaller in sq miles and people population that has either railbusses or elevated trains

Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyheyheyhey View Post
subway would never happen. the metra train connecting chicago to milwaukee has a chance of making it
what does that have to do with milwaukee transportation of the city? nothing! we're talking about milwaukee, not milwaukee to another major city

but your right the metra will make it here sooner or later.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM

light rail can mean anything as in a few train lines or a few cars that operate on a track. in chicago in a part of th night i seen elevated trains with 3 or 4cars

Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
your going away from the question he or she is talking about transportation other than the bus in the city of milwaukee.

it can be done if designed correctly. as the post i made awhile ago there are cities that are smaller in sq miles and people population that has either railbusses or elevated trains
I understood the question, it was pretty simple. A subway is different than an El or light rail though.

Done correctly a subway is a big, expensive undertaking. From a strictly economic view point it would be hard pressed to build a system that would pay for itself completely on user fees. In other words it would require a major and continuous subsidy. The one thing you missed in your mention of smaller cities that have alternative transportation systems is population density which is a more important factor in the need for systems such as this.

For Milwaukee, elevated trains would be cheaper because of the difficulties of maintaining tunnels due to the low downtown water table. A more economically viable alternative transportation system would be something like the downtown connector system but it should be restricted to certain routes so as not to directly compete with the bus system. A high tech streetcar system as proposed by the Milwaukee Connector system could be doable IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee