Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,578,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
As much as I like Walker, I thought the measly 300M in cuts to the UW system was a joke. It should have been at least double that. Anyone that takes the time to read through their budget can find at least 25% waste.

Just like the measly contributions he asked the public workers to start paying. It was a good start but now it's time for a reality check and make them pay their fair share like the rest of us. And don't get me started on the cops and firefighters......
Measly? I see. Do you work for government? How much do you make? How much are you paying for health/dental/deferred comp/pension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,538,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This actually happened to me. I went to school on & off for years & switched my major & also added a minor. Because of the amount of credits that I had, I no longer was able to get financial aid & my tuition would've doubled. I was able to get my degree in my chosen field & timed it right so that didn't happen to me. However, if I had needed just one more class to finish my degree I would've been subject to double the tuition price. So yes, the spigot does get turned off.
Exactly - I love how people who never went to college *think* college works. It's so far off that it's laughable. Argued with a guy the other day who said people in the UW system don't even see their Profs and TAs handle everything. Apparently, this is another Walker contention. I told him that my Profs taught at least 95% of the classes themselves (often 100%), and that was the experience of everyone I knew. I also mentioned them offering extensive office hours for one-on-one, emails, etc. He just squirmed and went back to claims he'd heard on right wing radio, as he'd never attended college

Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Exactly - I love how people who never went to college *think* college works. It's so far off that it's laughable. Argued with a guy the other day who said people in the UW system don't even see their Profs and TAs handle everything. Apparently, this is another Walker contention. I told him that my Profs taught at least 95% of the classes themselves (often 100%), and that was the experience of everyone I knew. I also mentioned them offering extensive office hours for one-on-one, emails, etc. He just squirmed and went back to claims he'd heard on right wing radio, as he'd never attended college
It can depend, some of my classes were taught by TA's but many by the professors themselves. However, not one time was I unable to see my actual professor. I had a professor that I would schedule office time with maybe once every couple weeks & it was always for an hour. It's always the people who have never gone to college or dropped out that have such bitterness towards education.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM

676 posts, read 963,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you say so. I live in Boston now. I lived in Madison for 9 or so years. Minimal difference. The stats might show some, but in day to day life, the difference is really non existent (single digits = check, 30"+ snow on the ground = check). It might be a hair warmer, but certainly not "significantly". The wardrobe would reflect that. It doesn't.

Milwaukee is one of the most talked about destinations for young people around here, incidentally.

Because I live there. And, lived in Wisconsin (and Chicago, among others).
Guess what bud. I live in Boston as well. Boston is the warmest place I've ever lived. Sure, today is cold. It gets really cold. But on any given day, it's not going to be as cold as Milwaukee.

But, anyway, on topic, I don't think the weather is the MAIN cause of brain drain, but it certainly plays a factor.

I've yet to read through the 6 pages of this thread that I've missed, but I couldn't resist responding to your smugness.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
on any given day, (Boston is) not going to be as cold as Milwaukee.
Right now:

Milwaukee 25 degrees
Boston 17 degrees

Tomorrow:

Milwaukee 40 and sunny
Boston 30 and snow

Old 02-06-2015, 12:10 PM

676 posts, read 963,087 times
Quote:
Right now:

Milwaukee 25 degrees
Boston 17 degrees

Tomorrow:

Milwaukee 40 and sunny
Boston 30 and snow
Poor choice of words. I meant, "on most days."

Old 02-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's always the people who have never gone to college or dropped out that have such bitterness towards education.
Agreed, and I do mean always!

What's funny is having a college education has zero to do with whether I think a person is smart or not; however, for those who are or perceive themselves as smart but did not get a degree, this is often a lifelong struggle where they project their own feelings of inadequacy on those who have.

It's all "I COULD easily have done that." Well sure, anyone with over a 90 IQ could get a degree if they apply themselves. The real point here is YOU did not. You didn't live below the poverty level in order to go to college for 4-6 prime years of your life, or work all summer and chunks of your busy school weeks in order to dump all of it back into your education. You didn't go tens of thousands in debt, which had to be repaid the minute you got out of school and into a (generally) low paid entry level position.

The above is what the majority of college students face. Going through that to gain an education is a laudable thing, or at least it was when I was growing up. At least it still is in countries on the rise. In fact, the two go hand-in-hand. I refuse to allow anyone to make learning, getting ahead, applying oneself to studies when it would be easier to get a job and have money for trinkets, or being smart or educated, a bad thing. If you believe education is bad for an individual or country as a whole, you are either a tyrant hoping to grab the reins or you are stupid.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:13 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,074,957 times
What are the other parts you find objectionable? I have seen mention of the perception of how much profs teach, or not. Isn't that more of a perception issue though, without time sheets and such. Lot's of working people, technically educated of course, do all the time. Document their labors, that is, quantitatively, if not qualitatively.

Layoffs, downsizing? Scaling back of a physical plant? It goes on in everyday life, for Wisconsin's in all walks of life. Ther is no reason for Academia to be exempted from the realities of life. But, even the layoff figures are hypothetical, as pointed out in the article the OP posted. To wit, "The layoff figures were presented as hypothetical, and no university-wide number was provided." But, I have guessed enough, for now.

You might have points I agree with, or not. One thing is for sure, we'll never know if you cannot or will not elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good God, the other parts of his proposal, which have already been discussed. That's the "other crap".

Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Agreed, and I do mean always!

What's funny is having a college education has zero to do with whether I think a person is smart or not; however, for those who are or perceive themselves as smart but did not get a degree, this is often a lifelong struggle where they project their own feelings of inadequacy on those who have.
Word.

Quote:
The above is what the majority of college students face. Going through that to gain an education is a laudable thing, or at least it was when I was growing up. At least it still is in countries on the rise. In fact, the two go hand-in-hand. I refuse to allow anyone to make learning, getting ahead, applying oneself to studies when it would be easier to get a job and have money for trinkets, or being smart or educated, a bad thing. If you believe education is bad for an individual or country as a whole, you are either a tyrant hoping to grab the reins or you are stupid.
You know what's crazy? There are countries out there where people, namely young women, are literally DYING to get an education. They will risk their lives so they can get an education because it is THAT important. And then we have dimwits in this country scoffing at education, diminishing education & those who continue their education, do everything in their power so people don't have ACCESS to affordable education. It is literally insane.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Right, and good education has always been shown to be a major economical advantage, beyond all the other benefits! I've never seen a country prosper after they'd decided education was not a priority, and slashed funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee