Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I like how you tried to leverage WI's startup troubles to push your anti-Walker agenda. Maybe next you can talk about how WI's business survival rate is amount the highest in the nation?

Not sure where you get those stats, but lets assume its true (I hope youre not referring to SBA data which shows Wisconsin in the top quarter largely due to single proprietorships) . That's not really a good thing. It means risks aren't being taken. Businesses aren't starting up and pushing the envelope and creating jobs. It's a negative. An area with lots of failures is going to have lots of creating to, and this cycle spurs innovation and IP development and a professional ladder for people to grow in. The best economies have lots of both openings and closing, a stagnant economy, few openings and closings.

And I don't need to push Anti Walker anything, he does that quite well on his own as emphasized by the sliding QOL and brain drain in Wisconsin.

Last edited by timberline742; 07-12-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:07 PM

760 posts, read 883,028 times
I bailed Milwaukee because there were no jobs, and the ones that were there paid low. Walker IS limiting growth and the state is becoming very unwelcoming to new business. There is no attempt of innovation, and the state doesn't seem to care at all about catering to the Millennials (which believe it or not drive the economy).

In Denver, I had 6 potential interviews with great pay within 1 week. No wonder all the well educated people are fleeing.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:17 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Milwaukee might be healthier if companies like Fiserv didn't outsource work to India. In fact for that company, which had plenty of resources there in WI, now the bulk of their talent is down in Georgia. Not sure why that piece occurred but the India part was pure cash for them.

Duluth is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not sure where you get those stats, but lets assume its true (I hope youre not referring to SBA data which shows Wisconsin in the top quarter largely due to single proprietorships) . That's not really a good thing. It means risks aren't being taken. Businesses aren't starting up and pushing the envelope and creating jobs. It's a negative. An area with lots of failures is going to have lots of creating to, and this cycle spurs innovation and IP development and a professional ladder for people to grow in. The best economies have lots of both openings and closing, a stagnant economy, few openings and closings.

And I don't need to push Anti Walker anything, he does that quite well on his own as emphasized by the sliding QOL and brain drain in Wisconsin.
Fascinating -- posters such as yourself can make wild unsupported assertions and cry wolf at opposing information, but if the opposing side states a claim based on measurable fact, they must provide back-up. (Here it is btw)

Before you reference the liberal handbook again, just think about that. Just for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I bailed Milwaukee because there were no jobs, and the ones that were there paid low. Walker IS limiting growth and the state is becoming very unwelcoming to new business. There is no attempt of innovation, and the state doesn't seem to care at all about catering to the Millennials (which believe it or not drive the economy).

In Denver, I had 6 potential interviews with great pay within 1 week. No wonder all the well educated people are fleeing.
So you're proposing that WI's government administration should interfere with private enterprise because another metro with 2x+ population had more jobs. Do you not see the fault in that logic?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:34 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Fascinating -- posters such as yourself can make wild unsupported assertions and cry wolf at opposing information, but if the opposing side states a claim based on measurable fact, they must provide back-up. (Here it is btw)

Before you reference the liberal handbook again, just think about that. Just for a second.

Ah, you're citing research from the Wisconsin Development Corp which is a shill for Walker

GTFO of town. That's just pathetic. Beyond pathetic. It's disgustingly disingenuous.
Liberal handbook? Is that a working noggin? Seems like the conservative handbook is not having a brain.

Wisconsin, last, again
For third straight year, Wisconsin ranks last in business startup activity

Start ups failing bad for the economy
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/us-st...jana-de-kerros

Brain drain and the jobs that are being created are crappy
https://badgerherald.com/opinion/201...ter-education/

The research cited is embedded, but you'd actually have to read.

UW Madison drops out of top research universities for first time in over 50 years.
UW-Madison falls from nation's top five research universities

Minnesota beats Wisconsin economy #1
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...onomies/21697/

Minnesota destroys Wisconsin economy #2
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy

Minnesota crushes Wisconsin economy #3
The States With the Best and Worst Economies - 24/7 Wall St.

I could go on all day. Thanks Walker.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Quote:
Ah, you're citing research from the Wisconsin Development Corp which is a shill for Walker

GTFO of town. That's just pathetic. Beyond pathetic. It's disgustingly disingenuous.
Liberal handbook? Is that a working noggin? Seems like the conservative handbook is not having a brain.
I commend you for your efforts, but no.

"Wisconsin ranked 7th among the 50 states for companies with a six-year survival rate and also among the top 10 for the business 10-year survival rate, according to 2013 figures from the U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics."

You sound like a disgruntled 15 year old, so I'll refrain from upsetting you further.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM

170 posts, read 176,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Milwaukee. Traveling anywhere from Duluth is a pain in the butt and will be much more expensive. Living in Milwaukee you have a respectable airport on hand and are only a stone's throw away from O'Hare and Midway, two inexpensive airports that will take you anywhere you'd ever want to go.

I agree. Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport has lots of flights and inside parking for $14 bucks a day. No messing around with shuttle buses and remote lots. Just park (inside) and walk into the terminal.

Also, southeast Wisconsin has some world class attractions that are far better than what you'll find in Minnesota.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Also, southeast Wisconsin has some world class attractions that are far better than what you'll find in Minnesota.
Uh-ho, just wait until a Minnesotan hears about this. To them Minnesota is the greatest thing since canned beer.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Bell done tolled.

Except I have ground to stand on after living 11 years in the Milwaukee area. Comparing Minnesota to Wisconsin has little bearing on the original topic. Duluth has nothing on Milwaukee.

As for the world class attractions that are being referenced, what are they that MSP is lacking? Chicago??

Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Unemployment rates are not the way to judge an economy.

And sure, Walker gets votes, but the educated flee Wisconsin because of the crummy economy so those that remain behind... are the less educated that would vote for that bozo. I tend not to befriend the uneducated and the ignorant.

You can't seriously pretend that Wisconsin's economy is better than Minnesota's. That's just nuts.

But, go ahead and keep gutting the education system. The economy will never recover.
This is my issue with Walker. Well, one of them. His complete disdain for the environment is another.

Yes, I've been to both Milwaukee and Duluth. And Green Bay since it was mentioned (which I don't care for). This isn't a case of pick a city and move, our choices are Duluth or Milwaukee. Hence the initial question.

For the record, and since I haven't been on C-D in a little while, we've eliminated Duluth.

I was able to spend the weekend in downtown Milwaukee during Bastille Days. I had a great time checking out the area and am now confident in our decision. Now we're settling down for the waiting game. If this move happens it probably won't come before winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee