Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,226 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice between moving to one of these communities which one would you choose ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 08:18 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Cedarburg for me. It's closer to Lake Michigan and closer to the amenities of the city of Milwaukee, but it's also a stone's throw from Mequon, Germantown, Grafton, and other communities with good shopping and abundant green space. Cedarburg's downtown is more interesting (to me) than Oconomowoc's center, though Cedarburg (and Washington/Ozaukee in general) is lacking in quality restaurants.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Good morning,

As usual, I have to agree with Empidonax's assessment.

Cedarburg is beautiful, charming, and has great yearly fests.

My question to Empidonax: Please share what are the quality restaurants that stick out for you, that are just NOT found in Washington or Ozaukee Counties?

Are you suggesting that Oconomowoc is better? Or are they in the same category as Washington and Ozaukee Counties, regarding restaurants??

And on an unrelated-note question? Does Groppi's Deli have good wine???

Old 12-13-2021, 07:41 PM

512 posts, read 473,744 times
In my opinion, neither. I prefer Milwaukee County suburbs. Oak Creek is pretty nice.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:41 PM

Hi Jay,

It seems to me that the Cedarburg area has a somewhat better restaurant scene than the Oconomowoc area does, but overall neither is particularly compelling. I'm very fond of international cuisine, and I enjoy an engaging and experimental upscale place once in a while, but most of the restaurants in Oz/Wash and in Lake Country are standard steaks and chops, fish fry places, pizzerias, watered-down Mexican food, chains, etc. Delafield (near Oconomowoc) has a few decent places, and there are a few bright spots in the Cedarburg/Mequon area, but it's mostly run-of-the-mill stuff, most of which I can make at home.

If these areas had a Groppi's, that would kick everything up a notch or two!

Old 12-13-2021, 09:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Empidonax, do I sense the necessity for a Chicago trip?!?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:10 PM

Jay, we were planning a November/December trip to Chicago, but work happened, and then the cold weather. Nowadays, I'm lucky to be able to get out of Bay View!

Old 12-14-2021, 08:33 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Cedarburg, for sure. I lived in Port Washington for a number of years and spent a lot of time around and in Cedarburg. Definitely a nicer place to I've than Oconomowoc, I think.

RM

Old 12-15-2021, 10:59 AM

174 posts, read 231,729 times
Oconomowoc has a lot going for it as the downtown has evolved over the years to become very active. It is on or near numerous lakes and has many festivals which are well attended by out of towners. If you have not been to Oconomowoc recently they have made it a welcoming place. Many new additions to the whole town and city are in the process of being built and not just downtown. Cedarburg is very nice also but Oconomowoc is right between Madison and Milwaukee and is easy to get to either. It is a quiet but eventful city having just had the German Christmas market which attracts significant people for music and vendors which occurs on the newer Village Green with a very large music and beer tent and other tents and shops for all likes as well as childrens events. They have an award winning Art Festival in August with over 250 juried artists . Check it out sometime and you will agree it is a nice and safe place to live.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
The Burg! and it's not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee