Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
https://www.jsonline.com/story/opini...22/9350006002/

"Milwaukee reported a record 10,179 cars stolen in 2021, more than half were Kias and Hyundais. "

"One mother who told me her 14-year-old son steals cars and was a member of the “Kia Boyz,” a group of young car thieves in the city who target both Kias and Hyundais, said her son was arrested three times for stealing cars, but the police simply turn him over to her within an hour of his arrest."

Perhaps by locking the young thugs up, the problem may dissipate...
I can see why thieves are targeting these cars. I used to have a low opinion of Kia's because, well, its a Kia. Then this past March I went to Florida and rented a car. They put me in a new Kia Rio. I was so disappointed when I first saw that car. Even made sure if the number they gave me was for another parking spot with a better car, but nope the Kia it was. My only consolance was that my stay in Florida was for four days. Then I sat in the driver's seat, holy molly. Let's just say that impressed is an understatement. The thing even had a sports mode for fun driving. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to turn on auto drive, since I use that feature if I'm in an area I know speeding can get you quite a few fines and Florida is full of tourists, so you know. Otherwise I'm bound to get a speeding ticket because I have hot feet. Now, I'm not saying it was akin to a Mercedes-Benz, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I haven't judge Kia cars and their owners ever since. They are riding in some fine stuff.

PS. Whoa! Just now I notice this is in the Wisconsin forum. I swore this was in the automotive forum. Oh well... lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-03-2022 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 07:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Make the fine and penalty for stealing cars 20 years in prision and $25,000 fine or we could start caneing people and or removing fingers like they do in other countries.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticGayHim1986 View Post
I agree! But you’re not trying to say that’s the fault of democrats or blacks though, are you?
If your government doesn't enforce the laws or have laws that don't punish criminals, it is the fault of the government. It is also the fault of the parents who raised these thugs. Why you threw the race card into this makes no sense.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:51 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I can see why thieves are targeting these cars. I used to have a low opinion of Kia's because, well, its a Kia. Then this past March I went to Florida and rented a car. They put me in a new Kia Rio. I was so disappointed when I first saw that car. Even made sure if the number they gave me was for another parking spot with a better car, but nope the Kia it was. My only consolance was that my stay in Florida was for four days. Then I sat in the driver's seat, holy molly. Let's just say that impressed is an understatement. The thing even had a sports mode for fun driving. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to turn on auto drive, since I use that feature if I'm in an area I know speeding can get you quite a few fines and Florida is full of tourists, so you know. Otherwise I'm bound to get a speeding ticket because I have hot feet. Now, I'm not saying it was akin to a Mercedes-Benz, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I haven't judge Kia cars and their owners ever since. They are riding in some fine stuff.

PS. Whoa! Just now I notice this is in the Wisconsin forum. I swore this was in the automotive forum. Oh well... lol
Those little 1.6 engines in The Accent and Rio can go! I had a GDI 1.6 Accent in the past, power was good.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:20 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
We had a Kia Soul for 8 years in S. California. Good car, zero problems. I located the electrical connector going to the fuel rail, disconnected it, then pushed it back, but not tightly. I could start it, for a second, it died, ran a second, died again. No thief would want to drive that even if he had the key.

I seldom used the procedure unless I had to go to LAX or other shady locations. With practice the whole thing was a 30-second job. Now we have two Hyundais, and ours is a very safe neighborhood, so I won't bother.

As seen on TV : local police arrest a man for stealing a car here in N. California. They recognize him as the same dude they arrested for car theft early in the morning. Different car, though.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:04 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Progressive Insurance is no longer writing new policies for Kia and Hyundai vehicles in certain markets. Denver area was mentioned on the news. I don't think it affects newer models where the problem was dealth with. I'm sure it will be much of the country, as well as other companies also. It's to be expected with theft levels this high, and nothing being done to fix the issue on the vehicle years impacted.

Old 08-14-2022, 05:07 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
We have a 2015 Santa Fe Sport turbo, Limited, and a 2018 Kona turbo, Limited. I checked the owners' guide and they claim there is an "immobilizer" - "if so equipped". What bull. Please state yes or no, according to WIN numbers.

Searching on forums some owners claim that the cars with the old fashioned keys don't have the immobilizer, but the push button type starters have it. I wish Hyundai/Kia would explain it before they get more bad press.

Other than that, we had nothing but Hondas and Toyotas from 1978 to 2015, and I prefer the Korean cars. And this comes from a retired Honda Master Tech.

At my age, for our last car I'd love to get a 2022 Genesis GV70, we can afford it, but I'm not willing to drive 95 miles for dealer service. They offer pickup, but a 19-year old hotrodding my treasure is worst than scary.

Last edited by mgforshort; 08-14-2022 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-15-2022, 06:04 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Shouldn't that be Kia Seoul?

Yes, I can almost see it now, koreaning down the road…

Old 08-15-2022, 11:37 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Yes, I can almost see it now, koreaning down the road…
...with your hamster suit on.

RM

Old 08-15-2022, 12:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
^^^^^^^^^

Zactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee