Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times

Advertisements

If you want to talk about development sprawl that never ends with box stores, new houses, freeways etc. try going to greater Chicago or Los Angeles, its nothing new, but last year when I drove from downtown Milwaukee to Madison, I really thought it would be more of a country ride instead there was heavy traffic on i94 & endless suburban/automobile surrounded lifestyle areas!! My question is if anybody knows, How has southeastern Wisconsin become such a key location for more and more build up? Someone once told me that the drive between MKE and Madison in 10 years might be a 'farm less' run because madison and milwaukee exurbs will meet up, Do you think that person is right? What about the economy and future plans for expanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 23,685 times
I must agree with you, Midwesterns45! Chicago is alot worse than in Milwaukee, as far as urban sprawl. By the way, I'm a native of Milwaukee, living in Kenosha. About 35 miles south of Milwaukee.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 PM

57 posts, read 209,617 times
Also, Milwaukee will probably be a suburb of Chicago in the relatively near future. Most of Kenosha already commutes to Chicago. Some people even commute to their jobs in Chicago and live in Milwaukee. There are lots of new condo developments in the Milwaukee area and they are being purchased by Chicagoans as a get-away home. They enjoy coming up here to all the summer festivals, to the art museum and the various ethnic restaurants. It is a slower pace than Chicago and it is a relaxing weekend trip.

There is regional planning going on, but I don't know if it will be enough to stop the cities from merging.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,634 times
When gas returns to it's $4/gallon level again next year, it will again discourage urban sprawl. Cheap gas was the only reason that urban sprawl existed.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudelle View Post
Also, Milwaukee will probably be a suburb of Chicago in the relatively near future. Most of Kenosha already commutes to Chicago. Some people even commute to their jobs in Chicago and live in Milwaukee. There are lots of new condo developments in the Milwaukee area and they are being purchased by Chicagoans as a get-away home. They enjoy coming up here to all the summer festivals, to the art museum and the various ethnic restaurants. It is a slower pace than Chicago and it is a relaxing weekend trip.

There is regional planning going on, but I don't know if it will be enough to stop the cities from merging.

not a chance, if anything racine may be added to chicagoland like kenosha is but milwaukee? nah

Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 PM

676 posts, read 961,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
not a chance, if anything racine may be added to chicagoland like kenosha is but milwaukee? nah
I don't think it will be a SUBURB, but rather there will be a kind of joint metro area. It's already turning into one huge megalopolis....Gary, Chicago, Rockford, Madison, Milwaukee....they are all getting closer and closer together.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I don't think it will be a SUBURB, but rather there will be a kind of joint metro area. It's already turning into one huge megalopolis....Gary, Chicago, Rockford, Madison, Milwaukee....they are all getting closer and closer together.
i disagree. the thing with chicagoland its all accessable with public transportation(METRA TRAINS) and some cta bus and el/subway lines

do you have any proof or studies, i guess i can say never say never

Last edited by city414; 11-30-2008 at 11:50 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 PM

676 posts, read 961,685 times
Proof that they're coming together? Just drive.

Or proof that the regions are planning for them coming together?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 PM

295 posts, read 547,088 times
I wish West Allis, St.Francis, Cudahy, South Milwaukee, Butler, Brown Deer, West Milwaukee, Greenfield and Hales Corners were just annexed by the city of Milwaukee. I would also get rid of all 5 counties and just make it one big Milwaukee county. Also I would expand Wales, Caledonia, Racine, Richfield to make them all large suburbs like Germantown. I also would expand all freeways to five lanes in the Milwaukee area and build more freeways as well. I would make one RTA without taxing authority and all bus lines/train lines would expand to all of the area so I wouldn't have to hop on three different bus systems.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Proof that they're coming together? Just drive.

Or proof that the regions are planning for them coming together?

the bolded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee