Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xghostsniperx View Post
Granted, I don't know what kind of position you were hiring for, but if it was for anything other than clerical or unskilled work, you would be fired on the spot at the two companies I interned at. Hiring someone from a non-AACSB certified is taboo.

And since I'm supposed to take your experience as truth, take mine as well. Except mine is backed up with experience and numbers.

At the company I'm interning for, we put on a day for students to come in, learn about the company, learn about internship opportunities, etc. About 30 Marquette students came, and about 60 UWM students attended as well as a few from Whitewater, Madison, Loyola, and DePaul. The company hired 20 Marquette interns, both Madison students that came, and a total of 1 UWM student.

And since speaking from personal experience is the norm, I'll take liberty to as well. The UWM students were a step down from the rest of the group. I understand that students text during class, but not during a professional presentation where lunch is free and opportunity for an internship is there. They were dressed poorly, couldn't speak with recruiters, and it was apparent they had no business acumen.
I guess we're done with this back and forth now. For you to paint UWM students with such a broad brush, shows a niavetee that, hopefully, in time you will outgrow. Until then, enjoy living in your dream world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
According to the AACSB website, UW-Milwaukee is an accredited school in Business, but not in Accounting. Marquette and UW-Madison are accredited in both. Quite a few notable schools (such as Berekeley) are not on the Accounting list, though, so perhaps they are accredited by other legitimate bodies:

AACSB International

I'm not too surprised by xghost's anecdote--the observations seem to focus more on the social aspects of business culture, possibly reinforcing the view that Marquette students have an advantage in professional and alumni networking.

I don't know how many business students there are at Marquette, but there are four thousand official business majors at UWM; it's one of the largest majors:

http://www4.uwm.edu/about_uwm/uwm_gl...le.cfm#degrees

Given attrition rates and other factors, this means hundreds--perhaps well over a thousand--UWM students graduate in business each year.

It is possible, then, that the company xghost works for doesn't attract the better business students from UWM. And who knows--even if two-thirds of the MU grads in attendance were deemed worthy of working at the company, perhaps there's a whole class of even better MU business grads who didn't even consider applying. The presence of only two UW-Madison students could very well indicate this.

Additionally, there may be less variation between the best and worst Marquette students, whereas the best and worst from UWM may cover wider territory. I have seen this in other fields at UWM, so wouldn't be surprised by such a vast spread. UWM's Lubar School is selective, but with four thousand majors on board, a wide range of talent and professionalism should be expected.

Last edited by Empidonax; 04-22-2010 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Added data on UWM Business major

Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM

17 posts, read 73,883 times
Firstly, to NowInWI, I'll take your comment as a concession to my points. It probably hurts, but talk to recruiters about how they feel about Marquette versus UWM students. If you want the ending to that conversation, you can look at my post.

To quijote, the company I work for is Fortune 100. It's consistently ranked as one of the best companies to launch a career at. I would rather not mention its name just in case I was connected with it. They should surely attract a lot of UWM students and Marquette students. To explain the lack of Madison students, it seems they also have a branch in Madison. Granted, there probably is a lot of variety at UWM, you're right. I never realized there were 4k students. Marquette only has roughly 500. It's easier to get a more cohesive handle on the class because of that.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,634 times
Quote:
Granted, there probably is a lot of variety at UWM, you're right. I never realized there were 4k students. Marquette only has roughly 500. It's easier to get a more cohesive handle on the class because of that.
Marquette has more than 500 students. The freshman class of 2009 was 1,947 students.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Firstly, to NowInWI, I'll take your comment as a concession to my points. It probably hurts, but talk to recruiters about how they feel about Marquette versus UWM students. If you want the ending to that conversation, you can look at my post.

To quijote, the company I work for is Fortune 100. It's consistently ranked as one of the best companies to launch a career at. I would rather not mention its name just in case I was connected with it. They should surely attract a lot of UWM students and Marquette students. To explain the lack of Madison students, it seems they also have a branch in Madison. Granted, there probably is a lot of variety at UWM, you're right. I never realized there were 4k students. Marquette only has roughly 500. It's easier to get a more cohesive handle on the class because of that.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but recruiting is a part of HR. I have been a recruiter, FYI. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:

To quijote, the company I work for is Fortune 100....They should surely attract a lot of UWM students and Marquette students.
You're right, they should attract a lot of UWM students. But if the only ones (one?) hired come from a measly pool of 60 at a special event, it's likely that the company isn't trying too aggressively to get UWM's best students, and that those students are in a networking pipeline for other jobs. UWM's business school may not be as tightly controlled as MU's, but it still offers seminars and workshops on interviewing, etiquette, networking, and it socializes many students every year in internships and other professional opportunities. With a couple thousand or more undergrad students at Lubar, I bet quite a few take part in these events and do very well. It just sounds like there's a whole level of UWM student not applying for jobs at your firm.

This sort of thing isn't unusual, actually. In the SF Bay Area, there are major companies that don't hire too many Stanford grads, and other companies that don't hire too many Berkeley grads. Both are great schools, and the companies span the range from famous to obscure, from large to small. But many companies rely on recruiting pipelines, sometimes heavily so. Another example: a few of the heavy-hitting financial and investment firms in NYC disproportionately hire Harvard and Princeton grads, eschewing grads from Yale and Columbia. Seems a bit strange to me, but if the mechanism works (or seems to work), then it stays in place.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM

180 posts, read 663,268 times
I really love how damn near every "school X is better than school Y" debate always seems comes down to business. I never understood that seeing as how the goal of higher education is to expand ones mind while the business world teaches the exact opposite (i.e. "just shut up and do whatever the people signing your paycheck tell you to"). Call it me, but I'd be weary of any school that holds its business program in such high regard... it's usually a sign that they're lacking elsewhere.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
I really love how damn near every "school X is better than school Y" debate always seems comes down to business. I never understood that seeing as how the goal of higher education is to expand ones mind while the business world teaches the exact opposite (i.e. "just shut up and do whatever the people signing your paycheck tell you to"). Call it me, but I'd be weary of any school that holds its business program in such high regard... it's usually a sign that they're lacking elsewhere.
Good point, Solas. A school's reputation should have more to do with the grads' academic skills, not so much their money-making and personnel-manipulating abilities.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,367 times
I can't believe this thread is still active. Where is the original poster????

Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

180 posts, read 663,268 times
Who cares what happened to the o/p... this has turned out to be a pretty interesting thread on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee