Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 42,086 times

Advertisements

I am sure some of those experiences were indeed true, but they are true of anywhere you go too. Also when we expect people not to like us, when we look for things, we give off an aura that scares people. Other words, our expectations can create good or bad vibes and people will act accordingly. It is a problem that has many angles to it, many. Its not always racism, but sometimes it is, we really need to rise above that and allow people to think or feel the way they want too, we are only responsible for our own response, not others thoughts or discrimations or whatever.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Is it safe for a Hispanic to move to Minneapolis?
Minneapolis actually has the largest group of Ecuadorians of any city outside of Ecuador in the Northeast part of the city, a very large Mexican population around Lake street and in St. Paul, and a large Colombian and other populations.

I find it to be a very not racist city, you frequently see mixed races being friends & romantic partners around town.

I can't speak for rural Minnesota, but in my experience Minnesota is a lot less racist than anywhere South of here, and since the numbers are still relatively small they don't have the anger about being deluged by immigrants that people in some parts of the country do.

And Minneapolis has a long history as a place for immigrants to come, there is also a huge African population which was encouraged by the locals to move here.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
...Minneapolis is NOT a racially tolerant place, atleast not when it comes to African-Americans....

I'm sorry and surprised to hear about your experiences. I think some aspect of this might be that in downtown particularly there are a large number of african-american thugs who actually do commit crimes in certain blocks and perhaps you are getting confused with them unfortunately.

But in my experience living all over the US I have never seen as many interracial (black & white) couples as I do here, some of them are my friends and they find Minneapolis to be much better than other cities, though the African-American community is smaller of course and mainly in the cities,
and because of this some people from older generations and rural Minnesota may not be so accepting, though I am surprised that they would ever demonstrate it so clearly, very un-Minnesotan.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM

221 posts, read 484,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
You are so full of crap your teeth are brown. Honestly, after reading through your past comments regarding Minneapolis and Kansas City, it's likely that you've never even been to the Minneapolis - St. Paul area.

I suggest you change your username and start over in your attempt to talk sh*t.
No, I am not going to change my username or post under a different username. But really, I actually did make the move to Minneapolis, MN, and this can easily be proven, you know. I moved here about 3 weeks ago, so I am still getting settled in and getting myself together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemymorkiepoo View Post
I am sure some of those experiences were indeed true, but they are true of anywhere you go too. Also when we expect people not to like us, when we look for things, we give off an aura that scares people. Other words, our expectations can create good or bad vibes and people will act accordingly. It is a problem that has many angles to it, many. Its not always racism, but sometimes it is, we really need to rise above that and allow people to think or feel the way they want too, we are only responsible for our own response, not others thoughts or discrimations or whatever.
Right on, man. You're right, maybe alot of those experiences were not race-related, but rather the vibe that I was giving off. And yes, I need to break free from this desire to seek approval, and just focus on taking responsibility for my own actions and such. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
I'm sorry and surprised to hear about your experiences. I think some aspect of this might be that in downtown particularly there are a large number of african-american thugs who actually do commit crimes in certain blocks and perhaps you are getting confused with them unfortunately.

But in my experience living all over the US I have never seen as many interracial (black & white) couples as I do here, some of them are my friends and they find Minneapolis to be much better than other cities, though the African-American community is smaller of course and mainly in the cities,
and because of this some people from older generations and rural Minnesota may not be so accepting, though I am surprised that they would ever demonstrate it so clearly, very un-Minnesotan.
Yep, and that's what I kept trying to remind myself, even before I wrote these posts, but I don't know, I felt very angry and enraged and offended by these actions, and had a "victim puke."

Yes, you are right about the interracial dating in Minneapolis, it's among the highest in the nation. I see interracial couples all over the place.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:25 PM

37 posts, read 106,065 times
After moving here from the middle east. this city is very welcoming to other nationalities

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
When I was in Philadelphia, where the city is nearly 45%/45% in terms of black and white, it wasn't uncommon to see African Americans walking around in Business suites and our hotel manager was African American. You would not see this in Minneapolis (or at least it would be surprising).
My last employer in Minneapolis had two black officers, the Chief Technology Officer and the Chief Operating Officer. Plenty of other high level director and manager positions were filled by blacks and other minorities too.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM

14 posts, read 21,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Minneapolis is not racist (neither is Bismarck, ND, but that's another subject). There are plenty of Hispanics here, even in the suburbs.
there are? Where are they?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM

you can tell a city by its restaurants. How many good mexican joints in Twin Cities...I'm listening.

Btw, there are lot of swedish and american places. Mmmmm. And french. Mexican only for the daring.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer11 View Post
you can tell a city by its restaurants. How many good mexican joints in Twin Cities...I'm listening.

Btw, there are lot of swedish and american places. Mmmmm. And french. Mexican only for the daring.
Are you talking about Minneapolis? There are FAR more Mexican options than Swedish (or all Scandinavian combined, for that matter).

Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are you talking about Minneapolis? There are FAR more Mexican options than Swedish (or all Scandinavian combined, for that matter).
There are? Tell us. I mean stuff you can actually eat. Have you had real mexican maybe you think the twin cities is real mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul