Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM

8 posts, read 10,727 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I (myself, wife and daughter) are looking to relocate from Australia to Minneapolis in the near future. We are looking into purchasing either a townhouse or a condo. At present, we are looking at Loring Park and Edina as viable options, but would appreciate other suggestions.

We require a property in a family friendly neighbourhood, ideally with 3 bedrooms, but 2 bedrooms would be acceptable. The price range we are looking at for a condo or townhouse is circa $600-700K, however there is some flexibility here. The kind of neighbourhood vibe we would find ideal is probably best described as "bohemian".

If anyone would be able to provide suggestions on suitable neighbourhoods I would be grateful.

Thank you in anticipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
With your price range there are good options in downtown Minneapolis around the Stone Arch Bridge/Guthrie Theater area. Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting your search to townhouses and condos? You could get a nice single family home in a nice neighborhood for that price. If it's because you don't want to do yardwork and upkeep I'm sure you could find somebody to do the work for you at or below the amount you'd be paying for the association fee on a condo/townhouse. Just a thought.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
It depends on how you prioritize family-friendly, bohemian, and $600-$700k prices

For that price you'd get something nice in Linden Hills, which is very family-friendly, but hardly bohemian (although it is a very progressive, eco-friendly involved neighborhood).

Lyn-Lake, Northeast Mpls or Lowertown in St Paul might be more bohemian and artsy--there are several nice condos near University Ave and east hennepin (Cobalt, Village Lofts at St Anthony Falls). But that area is not as family-friendly.

Uptown might be a nice compromise--I know several interesting couples with kids in that area. The Mills District is also a nice area--probably not a whole lot of kids, but I've seen articles in the Downtown Journal on a growing number of families living in downtown.

Good luck on your move! I hope you enjoy winters with snow rather than winters on the beach

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Edina is about the opposite of Bohemian.

I agree with the Lyn-Lake suggestion, as well as the characterization of Linden Hills.

The area that straddles Uptown and Lyn-Lake is a great mix: artsy but also very family-friendly. If you live somewhere like the Wedge/LHENA or the CARAG neighborhood you can walk to the library, multiple parks, the lakes, and still have a little bit of bohemian flavor.

Loring Park doesn't have as many amenities as one might expect for its population, but if I had that budget and wanted something for a family there I'd go with something on the Loring Greenway. You can get something with a balcony or terrace overlooking the greenway/walking path, and can easily walk to both Loring Park (the park itself) or downtown. You don't say how old your daughter is, but if she's still pretty little there's a great small playground right there on the greenway.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
With your price range there are good options in downtown Minneapolis around the Stone Arch Bridge/Guthrie Theater area. Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting your search to townhouses and condos? You could get a nice single family home in a nice neighborhood for that price. If it's because you don't want to do yardwork and upkeep I'm sure you could find somebody to do the work for you at or below the amount you'd be paying for the association fee on a condo/townhouse. Just a thought.
Thank you for the reply Slig.

The nature of my work sees me travel very frequently, and often has me and my family away for long periods (last year I spent 302 days living in hotels), so ideally I would prefer something that I can just lock up and go and not have to worry about shoveling snow, or ensuring that gardening is actually being done while I'm away.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

I agree with the Lyn-Lake suggestion, as well as the characterization of Linden Hills.

The area that straddles Uptown and Lyn-Lake is a great mix: artsy but also very family-friendly. If you live somewhere like the Wedge/LHENA or the CARAG neighborhood you can walk to the library, multiple parks, the lakes, and still have a little bit of bohemian flavor.

Loring Park doesn't have as many amenities as one might expect for its population, but if I had that budget and wanted something for a family there I'd go with something on the Loring Greenway. You can get something with a balcony or terrace overlooking the greenway/walking path, and can easily walk to both Loring Park (the park itself) or downtown. You don't say how old your daughter is, but if she's still pretty little there's a great small playground right there on the greenway.
Thanks for your reply urbanist.

My daughter is going on five months, so is very young. I did notice from my research that Edina did seem older, conservative and somewhat monochromatic.

I will look into Lyn-Lake as it seems to be highly recommended.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
It depends on how you prioritize family-friendly, bohemian, and $600-$700k prices

For that price you'd get something nice in Linden Hills, which is very family-friendly, but hardly bohemian (although it is a very progressive, eco-friendly involved neighborhood).

Lyn-Lake, Northeast Mpls or Lowertown in St Paul might be more bohemian and artsy--there are several nice condos near University Ave and east hennepin (Cobalt, Village Lofts at St Anthony Falls). But that area is not as family-friendly.

Uptown might be a nice compromise--I know several interesting couples with kids in that area. The Mills District is also a nice area--probably not a whole lot of kids, but I've seen articles in the Downtown Journal on a growing number of families living in downtown.

Good luck on your move! I hope you enjoy winters with snow rather than winters on the beach
Thank you for your reply Todd.

You're actually pretty well spot on the money there with the prioritization:
i. Family Friendly
ii. Bohemian
iii. Price

Obviously, a safe neighbourhood to raise my daughter is of paramount importance. My wife and I would like to preserve some of the European/Bohemian lifestyle that we have grown to enjoy in Australia, and if it means moving into a higher price bracket, then so be it. The figure that I used was a bit of an arbitrary figure based on the average we've paid in Australia for condos/townhomes in the past.

My family and I did actually live in Wisconsin for quite some time, so I guess that I have grown to love a White Christmas - certainly feels more right than having a fry out on the beach for Christmas lunch.

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM

256 posts, read 586,151 times
I think that you will be able to get a condo or townhouse for a lot less than what you are expecting to spend.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

Uptown Urbanist,

Where is the Loring Greenway? I can't seem to find it on any maps. Is this the same as the Midtown Greenway?

Thank you in anticipation.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
No, the Midtown Greenway goes through Uptown/Lyn-Lake and then through South Minneapolis. The Loring Greenway isn't a formal street (more of a pedestrian path through the buildings) and connects Loring Park with Nicollet Mall. It might not show up on formal maps. Here's a link, though: Loring Greenway Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul