Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Pirate.

I don't understand why people would come here because of the "generous welfare program" Having spent the majority of my life living in Detroit and Flint, I can tell you that the cost of living is much lower there, and whatever more that your "welfare" program gives to people is easily more than taken away by the housing cost.
Many of the poor fleeing the Rust Belt areas are attracted to the Twin Cities because the welfare benefits are more than what you would find in Michigan or Ohio. It may cost less to live in Flint and Detroit, but if you are unemployed, life will be extremely difficult. I got this information from a radio documentary about Blacks moving to Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I see the word "troll" mentioned several times in this thread. What exactly is a troll?

Old 07-08-2007, 03:25 PM

370 posts, read 902,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I see the word "troll" mentioned several times in this thread. What exactly is a troll?
Perhaps the more accurate term is flame-bait, but here's the source;

troll /v.,n./

[From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

Some people claim that the troll is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial.

The New Hacker's Dictionary - = T = (http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_35.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul