Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMS View Post
Thanks for all helpful advices and great information posted above!

I will keep in mind not to bring up religion once I'm in Twin Cities. That will be hard due to my being from Mississippi. In MS, people including those who are nonreligious always ask new people those three questions to start friendly conversation:

1) Where are you from?
2) Who are you kin to?
3) What religion are you part of?

Since Minnesota is more into progressive politics and civic involvement, I guess I could use politics instead of religion unless that's too forwarding for first conversation with new people in MN.

Of course, I plan to take up lessons in ice skating, hockey, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and other winter sports to keep myself occupied during my first Minnesotan winter and drinking hot chocolate.

I don't know anything about Michelle Bachmann or other politicians from Minnesota except for overly conservative Governor Tim Pawlenty. I have to admit that the new elected Governor Dayton has impressive political background from working with Walter Mondale and his views are similiar to mine so that's good.
It's best to just be who you are and not worry what others think, but it's certainly reasonable to consider that many people here aren't as open about religion as they may be in the South, so just be prepared for some trepidation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM

96 posts, read 132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm religious but I keep it to myself as that's a personal thing to me. Sometimes people try to press their religion on others though. My wife is Jewish and she's told me a number of occassions where people have brought up religion to her and made her feel uncomfortable. I have to say that most of these people were Evangelical Lutherans, though, and my understanding of this sect of Christianity is that they are encouraged by the church to preach the Word of God to others and try to convince them that Jesus is the answer to salvation. I realize this isn't ALL Lutherans, but mostly the right-wing extremists. Personally, I can't stand this practice (even as a faithful Christian), but it's pretty rare.
Hello my friend,

this applies to all christians (based on the Bible).

God bless you!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM

455 posts, read 638,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
Hello my friend,

God bless you!
This is true. It is kind of oxymoronic to self-identify as a "faithful Christian" in the same sentence that you swear off evangelism.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
No Prob.

It's funny because I have actually been contemplating making a move down south either in the Missouri or Mississippi areas for quite some time. I am very familiar with Missouri but need to check out Mississippi more. These thoughts always come up as I live through yet another Minnesota winter. As I get older, I want more to have a rural, slower pace of life where we don't get 15 snow storms every winter.
I know the way of life is different and I would be trading cold winters for horrible summers, but I figure I might as well check it out as part of a long term goal. Any advise for me regarding what to check out in Mississippi or how not to stand out as too awkward?
I am from the South, but not Mississippi. I have been to Mississippi on several occasions and know many Mississippians, though. I think the South is a wonderful region, and I think you could find many places that would be a fit based on your "long-term goal." Hopefully without derailing this thread completely, I would encourage you to look outside of Mississippi to Tennessee, Georgia, and the Carolinas as well. You may love Mississippi (I'm not saying you won't), but in my opinion, Mississippi is kind of its own world. I don't know what it is like to move to Mississippi from up north, but Mississippi has to be near the top of the list of states with the least in- and out-migration.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The Midwest, or at least not the Twin Cities, is very much NOT a haven for "narrow-minded bible thumpers." Not once in my 20 years in the Twin Cities has anyone asked what church I attend (none), and religion is generally something that most people keep more private and don't press on others. Religion is an important part of life for some people, but I'd say that the ways in which religion makes itself felt in this area comes more through its impact on social services and community activism. I would say that there are more religious people here than some of the places I've lived, but they are also generally far less likely to talk about it.

My only experience living in the South was for one year in a smaller city in Virginia (which I fully realize doesn't reflect Southern culture as a whole), but there religion was much more front-and-center in public life, and it felt like people were constantly asking me where I went to church and inviting me to attend various church events. I think they were trying to be nice, and it was either intended to be welcoming or small talk, but talking about religion to casual acquaintances or asking about their religious affiliations -- or assuming that they have one to begin with -- is not the norm in the Twin Cities, or at least it's not something I have encountered in my life here.
I could not believe how many people asked me where I went to church and invited me to their churches when I lived and worked in Charlotte, NC. Even while at work in the offices of a large company (Bank of America) where it seemed totally inappropriate to somebody not from the south.

Never in 30+ years in MN has anyone ever asked about my religion as far as I can recall.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times
I went to school in New Orleans (next door neighbors!), spent 10+ years in Houston, and have now been in Minneapolis for 10 years.

Do you like living in Twin Cities?

Yes. It really is a fantastic city. The winters suck (see below), but that's likely the only thing keeping the city from becoming overpopulated and therefore less fantastic.

Is it really hard to make friends there like people say?

In my experience, and as a broad generalization, Minnesotans are far more reserved than Southerners. It's harder. It's not impossible.

Can you get adjusted to Minnesota winters with heavy snow easily?

Not "easily," no. Okay, everyone is different, but it wasn't easy for me. I'm still not adjusted to it, after a decade, and I'm not going to pretend I enjoy subzero temps, snow, and ice. I don't. Overall, mid-November through mid-April it's rather unpleasant.

I agree with those who have encouraged you to pursue winter sports and activities. If you can find something you really enjoy in the winter and look forward to, you'll be far better off. I haven't found it yet, and I dread the onset of winter. I get depressed in Sepetember, but by February it's mellowed to a constant state of irritation and bitterness that persists until spring (otherwise known as midsummer in the South). This should explain the tone of my post. :P

Plus, for some inexplicable reason, Minnesotans can't drive in snow for ****. Perhaps the idiots alternately creeping along at 5 mph or speeding down the frozen freeways, imagining that their all wheel drive will somehow help them stop, are transplants. But I don't think so...

Does "Minnesota Nice" exist?

Yeah, and it's not a good thing. It's outward courtesy with no underlying warmth. It's a mouth that smiles and eyes that don't. I'm not a psychologist and I don't know that it qualifies as "passive-aggression," but it can come off that way to the layman. It's also not as sinister as I've probably made it sound -- it's probably just that Scandinavian reservedness.

Otherwise, the city is clean, vibrant, prosperous, increasingly diverse, entertaining, engaging, and really beautiful in the summer (and in the spring and autumn if it's not 40-50 degrees and raining). Politically and culturally, you get the same effect as most of the country: more liberal and progressive in the urban islands, traditional and conservative in the suburban and rural seas that surround them. Minnesotans seem to have an independent streak that sometimes makes for interesting politics and sometimes makes for crazy experiments that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 AM

43 posts, read 110,152 times
I read all new posts above. I learned so much about Minnesota. Minnesota seems like good fit for me and the state sounds so unique!

I am looking forward to visit in April of next year to see if MSP is for me. Until then, I will continue learning more about the area thru this forum.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
Hello my friend,

God bless you!
No. My paster has never told me to preach the gospel to random people without being prompted. That is extreme and intrusive. Similarly, I don't tell you how to raise your children, vote, or my viewpoint on abortion.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
This is true. It is kind of oxymoronic to self-identify as a "faithful Christian" in the same sentence that you swear off evangelism.
Not really. I don't have to like Evangelism because I an Episcopalian/Catholic. In fact I can't stand it but I tried to contain my emotions about it because IT's NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Not really. I don't have to like Evangelism because I an Episcopalian/Catholic. In fact I can't stand it but I tried to contain my emotions about it because IT's NONE OF MY BUSINESS.
What do you do with the following scriptures then? (These are just direct commands... there is plenty of other scripture that would support the proposition that evangelism is inextricably tied up with Christianity.)

Matthew 28:19-20
Mark 16:15
2 Timothy 2:1-2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul