Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM

43 posts, read 110,189 times

Advertisements

I happen to be from Mississippi and I am considering Twin Cities among other cities for relocation for college and to start a new life away from home.

I'm sure there are people from the South who moved to Twin Cities for various reasons. I happen to have questions to ask. I would appreciate any comments/feedbacks/complaints you can share with me about Twin Cities or Minnesota, in general.

Do you like living in Twin Cities?

Is it really hard to make friends there like people say? I heard people in the Midwest are really rude and unfriendly if you are not from the Midwest. I don't know if it's true or not but it's worth asking.

Can you get adjusted to Minnesota winters with heavy snow easily?

Does "Minnesota Nice" exist? To me, it sounds nice because if you ever get stranded in the snowy weather with your car broken down, a total stranger would offer you a helping hand or a ride. Otherwise, you would freeze to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times
I'm from South Florida - Miami/FLL - so I dont consider myself from the South.
Notwithstanding:
Do you like living in Twin Cities?
Yes, I love it!

Is it really hard to make friends there like people say?
It may take some work - but its not impossible. If you need alot of friends and hate time alone - I would not recommend it. If you like your solitary time and have strong friendships elsewhere and are okay with just having acquaintances for a while - you will not have a problem.
Can you get adjusted to Minnesota winters with heavy snow easily?

Does "Minnesota Nice" exist?
Yes. See answer to previous question.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM

It sounds like Minnesota is a good fit for me.

I'm usually a loner that would be satisfied with having few acquaintances with maybe no more than 3 best friends because I dislike nosy people and the drama involved. I would be busy with college and work anyway.

I believe I will adjust to Minnesota winters easily. I love the cold but I never experience having snow though. I'm a quick learner so I will learn how to drive on snow & icy roads eventually.

I know Minnesota summers are humid and hot but not bad as those in the South, which is a plus.

How religious are the people in Twin Cities/Minnesota? I always hear that the Midwest is second to the South when it comes to the Bible Belt with narrow-minded bible thumpers. I respect religions but tolerance and openmindness are important to me.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 PM

I'm usually a loner that would be satisfied with having few acquaintances with maybe no more than 3 best friends because I dislike nosy people and the drama involved. I would be busy with college and work anyway.

You will be fine. That describes my personality well and I love winters because there is no expectation of socializing. Love it.

I believe I will adjust to Minnesota winters easily. I love the cold but I never experience having snow though. I'm a quick learner so I will learn how to drive on snow & icy roads eventually.

I made sure we got a place near work that had public transportation in case I hated snowy/icy driving - highway access and local roads.

I know Minnesota summers are humid and hot but not bad as those in the South, which is a plus.

Last summer was hot but NOTHING compared to Southern summers - NOTHING. I will warn you that one spring and summer here and you will be hooked. Its spectacular. You will not want to spend a moment indoors.

How religious are the people in Twin Cities/Minnesota? I always hear that the Midwest is second to the South when it comes to the Bible Belt with narrow-minded bible thu[mpers. I respect religions but tolerance and openmindness are important to me.

I have issues which make religion and bible thumping a real problem for me - I have yet to come across anyone who has even invited me to church or any religious gathering. In Southern cities its common to have to fend off these invites which I find intrusive - I suppose that's where Minn Nice servs me well. My experience has been that this area is incredibly tolerant to LGBT and racial issues - and those who arent fake it. Fine by me.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMS View Post

How religious are the people in Twin Cities/Minnesota? I always hear that the Midwest is second to the South when it comes to the Bible Belt with narrow-minded bible thumpers. I respect religions but tolerance and openmindness are important to me.
The Midwest, or at least not the Twin Cities, is very much NOT a haven for "narrow-minded bible thumpers." Not once in my 20 years in the Twin Cities has anyone asked what church I attend (none), and religion is generally something that most people keep more private and don't press on others. Religion is an important part of life for some people, but I'd say that the ways in which religion makes itself felt in this area comes more through its impact on social services and community activism. I would say that there are more religious people here than some of the places I've lived, but they are also generally far less likely to talk about it.

My only experience living in the South was for one year in a smaller city in Virginia (which I fully realize doesn't reflect Southern culture as a whole), but there religion was much more front-and-center in public life, and it felt like people were constantly asking me where I went to church and inviting me to attend various church events. I think they were trying to be nice, and it was either intended to be welcoming or small talk, but talking about religion to casual acquaintances or asking about their religious affiliations -- or assuming that they have one to begin with -- is not the norm in the Twin Cities, or at least it's not something I have encountered in my life here.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMS View Post
It sounds like Minnesota is a good fit for me.

Although it may be uncomfortable at first, can I PLEASE recommend that -- if you move -- you try taking up skating outdoors (or hockey) or downhill skiing or something? Not only is it a great way to warm up while being outside, it will help you appreciate being below freezing for a couple months, and you'll meet lots of new people (heck, maybe make a new friend or two). Especially with rink rats (hockey), people play pickup games all of the time and it's totally cool to just join in with a larger group (like basketball). The trick is that you have to practice skating!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

37 posts, read 82,722 times
How religious are the people in Twin Cities/Minnesota? I agree with previous posters that few Minnesotans are overtly religious, but there is a very big difference between city neighborhoods and the outlying suburbs, with the latter (in general) having a much greater percentage of religious and political conservatives. You might not want to choose to live in Michelle Bachmann's district, for example!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Yes, good point; there are some very sharp divides between various areas of the Twin Cities. That goes for most of these questions (other than weather), not just religion.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyHolmesMaven View Post
How religious are the people in Twin Cities/Minnesota? I agree with previous posters that few Minnesotans are overtly religious, but there is a very big difference between city neighborhoods and the outlying suburbs, with the latter (in general) having a much greater percentage of religious and political conservatives. You might not want to choose to live in Michelle Bachmann's district, for example!
True - my picture is based upon working in dtwn Minneapolis and living in SLP.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all helpful advices and great information posted above!

I will keep in mind not to bring up religion once I'm in Twin Cities. That will be hard due to my being from Mississippi. In MS, people including those who are nonreligious always ask new people those three questions to start friendly conversation:

1) Where are you from?
2) Who are you kin to?
3) What religion are you part of?

Since Minnesota is more into progressive politics and civic involvement, I guess I could use politics instead of religion unless that's too forwarding for first conversation with new people in MN.

Of course, I plan to take up lessons in ice skating, hockey, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and other winter sports to keep myself occupied during my first Minnesotan winter and drinking hot chocolate.

I don't know anything about Michelle Bachmann or other politicians from Minnesota except for overly conservative Governor Tim Pawlenty. I have to admit that the new elected Governor Dayton has impressive political background from working with Walter Mondale and his views are similiar to mine so that's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul