Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 AM

50 posts, read 165,516 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my husband is working in St. Paul (capitol area) and I will be working in hospital most likey around Robbinsdale. Money is *not* a huge concern but we are not familiar at all with the area. Our kids are in college hence "school district" not important. Which are the desirable areas? would like to build home equity and if we had to move would like to at least not lose money. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Since you don't have to worry about schools and money isn't an issue, Summit Ave hands down.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Why? also what about aside from MSP, areas sorrounding MSP? I have a cousin that lives in Edina, a friend in Plymouth, another relative around Minnetonka...Obviously I have no clue about any of those areas except just visiting.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Wayzeta?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM

333 posts, read 705,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Since you don't have to worry about schools and money isn't an issue, Summit Ave hands down.
Without a doubt.

I live in Edina (mentioned above) but there is no way you could pay me to commute from here into Robbinsdale. Summit Ave is just beautiful, walkable, has great proximity to basically everything in St. Paul, and your commute would be against traffic.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efex101 View Post
Why? also what about aside from MSP, areas sorrounding MSP? I have a cousin that lives in Edina, a friend in Plymouth, another relative around Minnetonka...Obviously I have no clue about any of those areas except just visiting.
Quote:
Wayzeta?
The western suburbs, while very nice places to live, are a soul sucking commute from downtown St. Paul or Robbinsdale. Those are the last places anyone would want to live given the locations of employment noted above.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM

That makes a lot of sense. Is the commute really bad from Edina to Robbinsdale? I think one day I did it and it was maybe 20 minutes? this was around 2:00 pm though. BTW, I am seeing one concerning thing, the taxes are ginormous! on a home in the cities wow. We are not used to such huge taxes....

Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM

I see, well to be honest I am now myseld driving 3 hours daily to commute from my home to where I work so driving is not a huge issue but I am on the highway not traffic.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,641 times
I'd find a unique waterfront (lake, creek or river) home with a bit of land (not talking tons of acreage...just more than 15' between houses). Something on Cedar Lake or Brownie..possibly Medicine Lake (but I'm not very familiar with the neighborhoods along the river).

I'd want to be with 20 minutes of work, if possible.

I'd do a radius search from work and just see what houses are available. (I tried one and there wasn't anything that I'd move for at this point..but I have what I want now anyway except for lot size).

I like to drive down Summit, but I wouldn't live there--too much traffic and sketchy neighborhoods too close by.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. Is the commute really bad from Edina to Robbinsdale? I think one day I did it and it was maybe 20 minutes? this was around 2:00 pm though. BTW, I am seeing one concerning thing, the taxes are ginormous! on a home in the cities wow. We are not used to such huge taxes....
Yeah, it's a 20 minute drive with zero traffic from Edina to Robbinsdale, and Edina is by far the closest in of the western 'burbs. 2:00 in the afternoon isn't anywhere near rush hour. The last commute I had was from NE Edina to the U of M campus just past downtown, and that took close to half an hour just to get there and often 45 minutes home.

Property taxes don't appear to be out of line with those in any nice area in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul