Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 10,037 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I fell in love with the Twin Cities in the recent years in which I have traveled to the Midwest. I'm strongly considering making the move from PA to MN and have a simple question. I am 22 and will be attending law school this upcoming Fall and I was accepted to William Mitchell with full tuition being paid for. Also, they have a program where the top few selected incoming students are paired with professors to help do research. One Harvard and one Yale professor are in charge of this initiative and select students who are part of this go to different social events with these esteemed alumni and have the chance to network. My dilemma is that I have been accepted to the Univ. of Minnesota on about half tuition. U of M is also a top 25 ranked law school in the nation, and is known very well nationally. My plans after graduating law school would be to live in the Twin Cities and work there. I've done a lot research on WM and seemed very impressed, yet I would like local opinions as the college is private and not much is known about it here on the East Coast. Thanks for any help, such as friends and family who attended either institution, or the general consensus of how WM is viewed in the TC area.

Last edited by twairlines; 01-11-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I'm not a lawyer, so take this opinion for what it is -- the view of someone outside the field and therefore not someone in the position to be hiring any attorneys. That said, my impression is that while William Mitchell is small, it does have a good reputation. MANY very successful Minnesota people have received degrees from there, so you'd be in very good company (and presumably have very good local alumni networking benefits). I'd go with the full ride. (especially given last weekend's New York Times article on law school debt and job potential, and since you are planning on remaining in MN after graduation)

Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM

37 posts, read 66,709 times
congrats. You can't go wrong with WM in MN, you'll love it.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM

20 posts, read 47,626 times
Husband went and graduated from WM, he said if he'd have to do it all over again and practice law, he'd go to he U of M. He was in a similar situation, was offered 1/2 to go to Hamlin and full to WM and he chose WM. He thinks U of M is a better law school and it looks better in the long run (as the competition to get into the U of M is much greater). That's his 2 cents.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM

333 posts, read 705,058 times
William Mitchell has an excellent reputation regionally (at the very least) and has one of the strongest arbitration and mediation programs in the country.

I would not hesitate to attend WM law school. jmo.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM

455 posts, read 638,543 times
Tough call. One thing I would say for sure though--don't go to William Mitchell unless you are absolutely sure you want to stay in Minnesota. I'd talk to students at both and ask how OCI is going (my strong recommendation would be a handful of 2Ls and 3Ls from each school).

Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM

164 posts, read 516,064 times
Default Big congrats on the scholarships!!!

As a WM alum, I can say that it provides a solid education. The U of M degree has more prestige and the larger law firms would prefer that in a new graduate. But IMHO once you have been out of law school for 5+ years, you will be judged by your professional reputation and experience much more than by the origin of your sheepskin.

Uptown_urbanist is right to mention the debt that tends to come with obtaining a law degee. Most of the debt is due to loans for living expenses for 3 years. If that's a concern for you, WM is more flexible since it offers day and night classes. That allows many to get a part-time day job with a law firm. It wil bring in some cash and give you valuable hands-on experience.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

37 posts, read 66,709 times
just a question on this subject-

how common is it to have full ride to law school (or even half ride)? From this thread, it appears 2 folks have such a good fortune. I was not aware you can have a free ride to law school. What does it take? lsat scores, gpa, ...? I am interested in pursuing this, albeit I may not look in mn. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,037 times
Thank you to everyone who responded. Some really good insight. Sendij1, in regards to your question it is rare to get a full ride depending on where you apply. I have over a 4.0 GPA (they calculate + and - when applying to law school) which is above 99th percentile. In addition they weigh the LSAT score a little higher since it is their opportunity to grade all students on one scale. I scored above the 95th percentile on this. According to US News rankings WM is in the 90's which is an accomplishment since it's a private college of law only and ranking is based on other schools voting for your own school. Now UMN is in top 25 and my numbers are high for them as well thus, the scholarship. Keep in mind many students go to both schools without any scholarships for their numbers just get them in. Some students get maybe 15k a year when it costs 40k a year and think they got one heck of a deal. What I'm saying is with my numbers I was able to get into a top 15 ranked school, yet I received only 5k a year. I'm not about to accrue that much debt at a school that has a huge national reach, yet relatively low ability to place me in Minneapolis (where I want to end up). Also, I got full rides from 2 other top 30 schools just slightly below UMN, but this shows how competitive the numbers game becomes just by moving up 6 or 7 schools. Those 2 school are in the Midwest but from my knowledge WM is given more attention in the Minneapolis market as it has a large network of alumni already in place. It is hard to receive a lot of money, however if numbers are in your favor then you can choose 2 paths: 1. go to best school your numbers get you into, or 2. know where you want to practice law and apply to schools(maybe not ranked nearly as high as what your numbers would allow you to get into) that are in that region or are nearby, thus potentially earning some scholarship money if these schools would love to add your numbers that you bring. Sendij1, if you have any other questions let me know.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Here is the perspective of a practicing attorney. WM is a fine law school, but you should be aware that the job market for lawyers is in the toilet. The Twin Cities are no exception. I know a few people who graduated from WM this year (two at the top of their class), and neither have managed to secure employment. The vast majority of graduates at both WM and UMN will not graduate with a job.

See a recent NY Times article on the topic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.htm?_r=1 (broken link)

Since you are still young, you should strongly consider working for a few years before entering law school, and at the very least interning / working at a law firm and gaining exposure to the practice of law before investing so much money in a degree with a very questionable ROI.

Best of luck.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 01-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: tried to fix link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul