Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM

59 posts, read 308,458 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Basically, I'm looking for everyone's insight as to what I should do here. I'm 24 years old, a banker in downtown Minneapolis, and live in Eagan (right on the border of Bloomington). I take the lightrail into work, but I've been feeling very bored with the city. I've lived in the twin cities for almost 5 years now, and I think Chicago is a better fit for me. It's more upscale, more bustling, and in my opinion, more cosmopolitan. That being said, there are a few things holding me back. Firstly, I have a great job, and a great group of colleagues that respect me & my development, and I do well for myself. Secondly, I am totally familiar with the area. Third, quite frankly, it's a pain in the butt, not to mention expensive to move to a different city.

Here's my problem- As mentioned before, I live in NW Eagan (barely Dakota county). In my opinion, Eagan, Bloomington, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Richfield are pretty blue collar communities. I feel as though they aren't very cosmopolitan. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't hang out here. I merely sleep here. I want to live somewhere with what most would probably consider "snooty" people, around chic restaurants, good shopping, and trendy people. I don't seem to be seeing the Land Rover's, BMW's, and Audi's around here. Pretty bread and butter area.

That being said, if I wanted to stay in Minneapolis, can anyone recommend a good area for me? I will tell you what I do and don't want, and kind of red-line where I think is acceptable. Remember, I need good public transportation to Nicollet Mall, as I work downtown:

- Can't be north of 94 (no 763 area codes for me).
- Can't be in Ramsey county (Saint Paul - ew).
- Must be near good shopping.
- My car doesn't park on the street - garage required.
- I don't want to be east of 35W
- NO UPTOWN.
- I don't want to live around a geriatric clinic. (I think Edina would be a good fit for me, besides this aspect)
- Must be a quiet neighborhood.
- Once again, must have good public transportation to downtown that is quick, reliable, and efficient. I take the light rail now, and it's nice.

I'm not 100% sure what my price range is, but probably no more than $800 / mo. Remember, I'm single and young, I don't need a house of an apartment. I currently probably have about 500 Sq. Ft. and pay $685 (not including electricity, water, and insurance).

Any advice? Or, is it a lost cause, and should I just move to Chicago? I will say, for those of you who are familiar with the Chicagoland area, I like the suburbs of Winnetka, Kenilworth, Evanston, Skokie, Oak Brook, Hinsdale, Western Springs ...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,234 times
Why don't you just move to the city? Eagan would be boring for a young single guy.

One area I would suggest is 36th and Bryant area. I lived there for years and totally dug it. It was about 5 minutes from Uptown, 5 mintues from 35W, and 10 minutes to downtown. There are lots of good coffee shops, restaurants, bars around. Plus, there are good bus routes (the 4 will take you right from your place and drop you off in the heart of downtown).

Other suggestions:
48th and Chicago Ave (area)
38th St and 42nd Ave S (area)
42th and Nicolet (area)
Downtown Condo

Personally, I have a lot of friends who moved from Minneapolis to Chicago. Frankly, I would think if you wanted to go through the hassle of moving, you'd go somewhere totally different... West Coast, NYC, Somewhere South... I dunno. Chicago just seems like a bigger Minneapolis to me.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Eden Prairie is your place. It's like Edina, only younger, newer and more "upscale."

Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,641 times
Sounds like you just need to be closer in, but still in a quiet neighborhood. What about the 50th & France area of Edina/Minneapolis? Linden Hills. Kenwood. Lowry Hill. Maybe just to the immediate east of Lake Harriet. Possibly something in St. Louis Park as well.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EP seems like Eagan, but with a mall. Which, I currently live about 2 miles from MoA so that's not an issue.

... Am I correct in saying that Eagan is a blue collar community?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Much as I like 36th and Bryant, it won't fit -- not trendy or upscale, not to mention home to a senior center, and could potentially be considered Uptown.

50th and France could work. Or, depending on whether or not you consider this Uptown (I don't), there's the West Calhoun area over by Calhoun Village, which could be a good fit. You don't have an upscale budget, but that area has a blend of the more affordable to the very expensive, so you should be able to find something nearby with a garage. There are some surprisingly good deals over there, including in some of those high-rise apartment buildings with views of the lake. It's pretty quiet once you get behind the main commercial areas, but you'd still have easy access to Lake Calhoun and some trendy restaurants. It's a quick and easy bus commute to downtown.

It sounds like the main reason you're bored is because you're living in Eagan. I don't think Eden Prairie would be an improvement.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,960 times
I don't know why you would want to move to Chicago if you can only afford the rent that you are paying. Chicago is more expensive. Maybe try moving closer to downtown Minneapolis and then see if you still think you need to move. I would be depressed if I was your age and out in the suburbs too. I remember in my 20's, one of my roommates moved to S.Minneapolis from Burnsville. She HATED Burnsville. She said it felt so isolating etc. Eagan to me feels like it is a good place for married and 2 kids types of people.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM

It's not that I can't afford a more upscale apartment, it's that I like to allocate my income proportionately so as not to be spending all of my money on a fancy place and filling
It with furniture from ikea.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Downtown condo.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Truthfully, I personally feel as though NE Edina (55424) probably fits the bill the best. My ONLY concern of course is the demograph of the area. I don't think it's really the 'happening' place, however, I'm a guy who enjoys peace and quiet, and it's close enough that if
I want to go somewhere, it's not a 10 mile drive like
currently.

If I were to move to Chicago (that wouldn't happen till next year, btw, as I am
contracted for a year with work), what's
the average rent for a nice studio or 1 BR either in close northern suburbs/city proper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul