Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You're not going to go broke at all. If you mean the state, well do you actually feel the effects of a defecit or surplus? To me it's like splitting hairs. I couldn't care less.
That's what the people in Greece and Portugal thought. It didn't turn out so well for them. At a certain point, we have to restrain our spending. But I realize that you don't think we're at that point. And that's probably the crux of our disagreement right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That's what the people in Greece and Portugal thought. It didn't turn out so well for them. At a certain point, we have to restrain our spending. But I realize that you don't think we're at that point. And that's probably the crux of our disagreement right there.
I guess you're right with Portugal and Greece... Even Spain to a certain extent, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think we're nearly that close (ahem, yet)

Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
I may have missed it but I don't think that I've seen anyone discuss the sale of personal seat licenses as at least a partial alternative to government aid. A personal seat license gives the holder the right to buy season tickets and can be sold or transferred to someone else. How many licenses do you think the Vikings could sell at, say, $5,000 a piece? They've been done in a number of NFL cities as well as MLB and could be viewed as a form of a one-time user tax. It looks like the Jets had to trim the prices on theirs for the new Meadowlands stadium. Would it be worth five grand to the Vikings fans if that's what it took to keep the team around? I'd be interested in hearing what some of the season ticket holders here have to say.

Jets Cut Personal Seat Licenses Again - NYTimes.com

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I may have missed it but I don't think that I've seen anyone discuss the sale of personal seat licenses as at least a partial alternative to government aid. A personal seat license gives the holder the right to buy season tickets and can be sold or transferred to someone else. How many licenses do you think the Vikings could sell at, say, $5,000 a piece? They've been done in a number of NFL cities as well as MLB and could be viewed as a form of a one-time user tax. It looks like the Jets had to trim the prices on theirs for the new Meadowlands stadium. Would it be worth five grand to the Vikings fans if that's what it took to keep the team around? I'd be interested in hearing what some of the season ticket holders here have to say.

Jets Cut Personal Seat Licenses Again - NYTimes.com
The PSLs will likely occur but that revenue would probably be retained by the Vikings, as the ticket holder is presumably purchasing the "right" to later purchase his season ticket(s) for the product that the Vikings are selling.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Yikes. People would pay $5,000 to see football? That's the craziest thing I've seen all day. Some people have way more money than they need, and they can't wait to give it away to some billionaire for the privilege of sitting in his personal toybox.

But, hey, more power to 'em - as long as they're paying for the stadium, and not the rest of us.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,650 times
I know the NFL specifically forbids it nowadays, but the best option would be for every team to be like the Green Bay Packers and be a publically traded company. That way you could issue stocks to raise money and fans could become shareholders in the team. No way the owners would ever give up the power they have now though; they just want to continue their monopoly.

As much as I am a huge Vikings fan, I don't want one cent of public funding to go to them.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Sounds like a stadium bill is imminently close to being approved....we'll see what shakes out I guess.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM

$9 million dollars is spent in Minneapolis during Vikings games. Hmm... who wouldn't want $9 million spent in their city?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
ooooooooh....pretty! (appears to be a roofed design)

Minneapolis leaders propose Vikings stadium plan, Target Center upgrade | StarTribune.com

in part...

Minneapolis officials announced a plan Monday that not only would build a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings on the Metrodome site for $895 million but also renovate the city-owned Target Center for $95 million.

Mayor R.T. Rybak and City Council President Barbara Johnson made the announcement at an early afternoon news conference at the State Capitol, two weeks to the day before the Legislature is scheduled to adjourn.

The city plan would charge an admission tax on stadium events, raise the cost of parking during NFL game days and expand a downtown hospitality tax on hotels, restaurants and liquor to go citywide. It also would impose a 0.15 percent sales tax, similar to one that Hennepin County established to help pay for Target Field.

The city's share of the stadium cost would be $195 million, or 22 percent of the total. The Vikings would pay $400 million, or 45 percent, while the state of Minnesota's share would be $300 million, or 33 percent, the officials said.

I'm not sure if I can get behind this proposal if it means spending any money on the T-Wolves however.
Attached Thumbnails
New Minnesota Vikings Stadium Thread-1stadium051011.jpg  

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-09-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Fancy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul