Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,611 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at moving to Eden Prairie from out of state. We would like to put our 2 children in a home daycare. Does anyone have any suggestions and also what should we expect for the cost of home day care to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM

292 posts, read 891,584 times
How old are they? 0-3 year old $200 to $250. 3-5 year old $150-$200. Minneapolis/St. Paul metro has some of the highest daycare costs in the country.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 13,575 times
Default Cost

Why are costs so high in The Twin Cities when other costs, like real estate, are lower?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM

34 posts, read 100,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
How old are they? 0-3 year old $200 to $250. 3-5 year old $150-$200. Minneapolis/St. Paul metro has some of the highest daycare costs in the country.
Is this per week or what?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Per week.

Daycare centers are usually more expensive than the in-home daycares. I've read that the gap between the cost of the home-based daycares and the centers is also among the highest in the country (or is possibly THE highest).

I'm not sure why the cost is so high in Minnesota, and as far as I know, the experts don't, either. I saw one article that suggested that perhaps some of it is because more children in the metro area are using centers, while those in smaller towns/rural areas are more likely to have access to family members to watch the kids. I don't think daycare prices in the Twin Cities are any more (in fact, I think overall they are a bit cheaper) than the other cities where we've lived post-child, and the ratio of staff-children isn't any different. I know some states have higher staff/child ratios, and presumably those states are cheaper. Minnesota used to have pretty generous daycare subsidies, I believe, but that has changed in recent years.

Not sure about the costs for in-home daycare in Eden Prairie, but the numbers cited above sound similar to some of our casual research. Maybe see if there's a discount for siblings? I'm assuming the OP wants full-time care; finding part-time is much more difficult, at least if you want the in-home option.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyname32 View Post
Why are costs so high in The Twin Cities when other costs, like real estate, are lower?
More people are willing to pay it?

Real estate isn't that low in the Twin Cities, BTW. Even now, you still pay more for a property up there than you do in some other metros.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:25 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Most labor intensive services in the Twin Cities are pretty expensive IMO, restaurants, car repair and hair care are similar. I think it has to do with having a higher blue collar pay scale than other cities.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Most labor intensive services in the Twin Cities are pretty expensive IMO, restaurants, car repair and hair care are similar. I think it has to do with having a higher blue collar pay scale than other cities.
Some wait staff in Georgia are still paid $2.13/hour plus tips. In MN, they are paid $7.25 these days, aren't they?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
Default Wait staff/server rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Some wait staff in Georgia are still paid $2.13/hour plus tips. In MN, they are paid $7.25 these days, aren't they?
I'm a server at a chain restaurant in MN and yes, we are paid $7.25 (minimum wage in MN). I have heard from servers I work with that neighboring states, such as WI are paid $2.XX/hr. Which basically accounts for their tips. Sometimes servers there will get paychecks for $0.25 after the taxes are taken out.

As for the going child care rate. I personally would feel uneasy paying someone/an agency so little to take care of, and influence someone so important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul