Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM

812 posts, read 2,175,319 times

Advertisements

There was a group called Twin Cities Transplants, don't know if it's still around.

I found your age to be the easiest to make friends and I'm an introvert. Find an outgoing friend, that's what I did. She introduced me to a lot of people. Hennepin County library has a lot of classes for free, you could take some of those. There's also community ed in different areas.

Since you are more of an introvert instead of going to Uptown perhaps consider an apartment heavy area of St Louis Park or Hopkins. it's close to Uptown but you can leave it if you want some space.

I actually made my closest friends living in a small town. I didn't do church. I would go to a bar but it was the small town have a drink and shoot some pool bar. The key wasn't the location, it was that outgoing friend and some friends I met through work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM

356 posts, read 606,955 times
TCT is a much older 'demographic'. From their page, it looks like they have happy hour once a month at various locations and swing dancing classes.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,654,346 times
While I agree that going back to Iowa is NOT a sign of failure in the least, I understand you're wanting to be away and have new experiences. I was that way. Still am, actually.

There is a resource that really helped me and I can't recommend it enough. I have actually moved to new states/cities based on this resource and loved it!

It's called Best Places. Go to the following website and take the quiz. It will ask you about EVERYTHING you're looking for from demographics to entertainment, to hospitals to airports, to sports, to taxes, to housing starts, to weather to natural surroundings, etc., It doesn't miss a beat and the results are very interesting.

As long as moving to a new city/state is an open possibility for you, what do you have to lose? If nothing else, the quiz is fun! Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,893,914 times
I mean if you need to be convinced to stay here I think you should probably leave. You'll probably resent staying no matter what anyone says you should do and you'll always wonder about what it'd be like had you made the decision to move. I say move, commit to it for at least 5 years, then ask yourself the question: "do I value Minneapolis more than I thought, and should I move BACK because I truly love it there, likely more than anywhere else?"

Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM

290 posts, read 548,292 times
What are your interests? Have any hobbies, like to play sports? Join a kickball or softball team or running club. A knitting club. Book club. Volunteer at a cause you are passionate about. Take art classes. These are good ways to meet people. Eventually you will meet someone who will open you up to their circle. Heck, find one of the transplants working for Target, General Mills, etc and they will gladly add you to their circle of other transplants.

But yes, move to the city. The worst thing someone can do in most cities, but especially the Twin Cities, is to move to the suburbs if you are new. You are not going to meet people out there outside of church.

Go to meetup events. Browse Twin Cities. Social.. They are always getting people together to go do things.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,451,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I mean if you need to be convinced to stay here I think you should probably leave. You'll probably resent staying no matter what anyone says you should do and you'll always wonder about what it'd be like had you made the decision to move. I say move, commit to it for at least 5 years, then ask yourself the question: "do I value Minneapolis more than I thought, and should I move BACK because I truly love it there, likely more than anywhere else?"

It's not that I need to be convinced....I'm looking for ideas on how to make this work. My thought actually is to stay because I can always leave if I ever come to the conclusion that something is better. If I leave, I probably won't come back.

Since anywhere poses the need to make friends, here is no different....but I at least have a job I enjoy here...

Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,762,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
It's not that I need to be convinced....I'm looking for ideas on how to make this work. My thought actually is to stay because I can always leave if I ever come to the conclusion that something is better. If I leave, I probably won't come back.

Since anywhere poses the need to make friends, here is no different....but I at least have a job I enjoy here...
Since you have a job you enjoy (worth a lot!!), I'd definitely give it a shot here before moving. Don't give up hope yet -- I think a change in location, and maybe some concentrated efforts to get out and meet people (easier said than done sometimes, I know) will make a big difference.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,451,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Since you have a job you enjoy (worth a lot!!), I'd definitely give it a shot here before moving. Don't give up hope yet -- I think a change in location, and maybe some concentrated efforts to get out and meet people (easier said than done sometimes, I know) will make a big difference.

Thanks, I'm definitely leaning towards giving this another year....if nothing else I'll save some good money and plan out my next adventure without being under pressure or emotionally charged.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM

198 posts, read 483,847 times
Going back to Iowa would not be "failure." Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. There are few things that make me want to bend over and barf more than "hip" acquaintances carry on and on about their exotic vacations abroad and plans to make the move out to more cosmopolitan locales. I used to think I had the problem because the fact is I'd rather vacation in Orlando than Paris. There. I said it. And I like living in Minnesota. I'd be OK with moving if the right opportunity came along, but I'd be just as content in Kansas City, Dallas or Des Moines as in San Francisco or Boston. Are there people who look down on this? Definitely. But who cares? If you like living in Iowa and think you would be happier there then you should go. You don't have to apologize or explain yourself to anyone. If people shake their heads, then that's their problem not yours.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM

20 posts, read 32,050 times
We are two gay guys in our mid-20s that just moved to Lowertown Saint Paul. We'd love to meet new people too, if you are lonely, send me a PM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul