Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times

Advertisements

"Need"? No. But would it help launch its status from "big" to "major" U.S. city -- maybe....

I would only approve if it was something that the entire city embraced, and was architecturally-magnificent, like the IDS, Norwest (Wells Fargo) tower, or 225 S. 6th (Capella) tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
I doubt it will happen. The trend has moved away from marquee skyscrapers to sprawling office campuses (I'm sure much to the chagrin of urbanists).

Look at the largest companies in the area.

Best Buy moved from one campus in Eden Prairie where they couldn't expand, to their new massive campus in Richfield, and their old campus was taken over by SuperValu.

Medtronic, which already had a huge campus in Fridley, built another one in Mounds View.

Cargill moved out of downtown in the early 70's to the campus in Minnetonka, and since they can't expand there, built a second campus in Hopkins.

Wells Fargo, which has a marquee skyscraper, purchased the old Honeywell campus in South Minneapolis, rather than expanding downtown.

Target, which is also based downtown, built a massive campus in Brooklyn Park, with room to expand if need be.

Also, I believe the old State Farm insurance campus in Woodbury is still vacant, as is the old Northwest Airlines HQ in Eagan. The large Lockheed-Martin building in Eagan will soon be vacant, as will the Ford Plant.

United Health and Blue Cross are also headquartered in large suburban developments.

Even Sears in Chicago left their namesake Sears Tower years ago to move to a new campus in the suburbs. As long as land is cheaper, and tax breaks are available, we aren't going to see the kind of skyscraper development we once did. The exception is probably NYC, simply because of the high land costs out there. Of course land costs are high on the West Coast as well, but they really can't build those kind of buildings because of the earthquake factor.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,967 times
Everyone is focusing on office buildings, but maybe people should be thinking in the other direction. Apartment and condo vacancy rates in Minneapolis are the lowest that they have been in years. Is there possibility for mixed-use or luxury apartment supertalls?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Lets build this in Minneapolis!
Kingdom Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
It could put Minneapolis on the map nationally, and make it even more well known. Seattle is known by its Space Needle. Toronto is known by its CN Tower. Why not Minneapolis have the next tallest skyscraper?

That being said, there has to be a purpose for that skyscraper. It has to serve a purpose.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Many people don't want to work in a giant skyscraper since 9/11.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Many people don't want to work in a giant skyscraper since 9/11.
Well they are building multiple giant skyscrapers at the site of the attacks. I highly doubt it worries much people

Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
I don't know if Minneapolis can make a mark on a global scale unless its population is at least one million. But, yeah, I think a new tallest building would be cool. But like others have said, it probably doesn't NEED one.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well they are building multiple giant skyscrapers at the site of the attacks. I highly doubt it worries much people
The fact that they are building them doesnt really mean anything. I know plenty of people who work in offices in NY's financial district and they are not all that comfortable with the idea, but the people who work in the offices aren't the ones who decide to develop the property or sign the leases. I'm just saying how many of the worker bees feel about it.

By the way, though it did tick down ever so slightly this year, the vacancy rate in Minneapolis is still almost 20%. I don't think there's any demand for this here right now.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM

345 posts, read 832,954 times
Doesn't need one, however, the Twin Cities are thriving and there should be an icon to say that. I'm not talking a supertall. But a 850-900 tower to make the city stand out even more could really be cool. With all the new residential projects going up in both St. Paul and MPLS, a residential skyscraper could be used as well, or mulit-purpose with some office space. There really are a lot of surface parking lots downtown that could really be transformed and benefit the city; a skyscraper would do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul