Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,860,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
While I don't disagree with your comment, I'd also add that Minneapolis also offers many non-trendy neighborhoods that are great places for families to live, like Linden Hills, Bryn Mawr, Fulton, Lynnhurst, Kingfield,
While I don't disagree with your comment, I'd also add that non-Southwest Minneapolis also offers many non-trendy neighborhoods that are great places for families to live, like [see 70+ other Mpls neighborhoods not in SW Mpls].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
While I don't disagree with your comment, I'd also add that non-Southwest Minneapolis also offers many non-trendy neighborhoods that are great places for families to live, like [see 70+ other Mpls neighborhoods not in SW Mpls].
meow!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,860,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
meow!
LOL- haha, I suppose I deserved that. But it seems like people just drool and trip all over themselves to constantly gush about how amazing SW Mpls neighborhoods are- they're definitely very nice, to be sure, but from my vantage point they are way overpriced, a little too homogeneous/yuppety, and I'm not going to even voice that I think they might be a little overrated as I wouldn't even want to deal with the potential fallout that would ensue for daring to say such a thing.

But somewhat back to the topic- if I had a choice (and wanted it) to live in Linden Hills/surrounding area or Mac-Groveland or Highland Park in St. Paul, I'd definitely choose the St. Paul neighborhoods, possibly only because SW Mpls feels way too trendy/in love with itself amongst the high-earning yuppies w/kids sect.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,448,707 times
Quote:
LOL- haha, I suppose I deserved that. But it seems like people just drool and trip all over themselves to constantly gush about how amazing SW Mpls neighborhoods are- they're definitely very nice, to be sure, but from my vantage point they are way overpriced, a little too homogeneous/yuppety, and I'm not going to even voice that I think they might be a little overrated as I wouldn't even want to deal with the potential fallout that would ensue for daring to say such a thing.

But somewhat back to the topic- if I had a choice (and wanted it) to live in Linden Hills/surrounding area or Mac-Groveland or Highland Park in St. Paul, I'd definitely choose the St. Paul neighborhoods, possibly only because SW Mpls feels way too trendy/in love with itself amongst the high-earning yuppies w/kids sect.
I would agree with you when you're talking about the neighborhoods surrounding Lake Harriet, such as Linden Hills. However, I wouldn't classify neighborhoods like King's Field or Bryn Mawr as yuppy necessarily. If I was looking on that side of town these are two neighborhoods I'd definitely consider. Both are actually pretty affordable too, figuratively speaking.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM

7,712 posts, read 4,771,670 times
Cathedral Hill is very trendy, it feels like you're in Boston or old Chicago. Victorian houses, lot's of cool bars, cafes, shops. You'll find lot's of writers & artists in this area.

Lowertown & Downtown in general are becoming trendy w/ Lowertown being the heart of the new arts community & Downtown seeing their classic old buildings renovated & turned into affordable lofts/condos. Places like "The Bulldog" & "Barrio" on Mears Park are packed when I pass by & seem to be the epicenter of that movement.

I think the Hamline-Midway neighborhood is an up & comer as it has a lot of nice houses at affordable prices, great freeway access & will be right on the new light rail. I could see this becoming a hot place with U of M students along the light rail & families deeper in towards Pierce Butler in the Newell Park area.

I personally just bought a house in the Summit-U neighborhood of St Paul & predict this neighborhood will catch fire in the next 5 years. It's 9-10 blocks W of Cathedral Hill (Very trendy/artsy), 8-9 blocks E of Merriam Park area that I'd call trendy (Blue Door, Izzy's, etc), 6 blocks N of Summit Ave (Which I consider to be St Paul's equivalent of Lake of the Isles/Harriett Parkways) & Grand Ave (St Paul's 50th/France). It's also a few blocks S of I94 & University Ave, which are not very nice, BUT...with the light rail going in, I expect University Ave will get a big upgrade, along the lines of what the light rail has done for Hiawatha Ave in Mpls. Lot's of big stately homes in Summit-U for families like mine that want to live by Grand Ave/Summit Ave on the cheap.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,830,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
A few friends and I have been predicting that Saint Paul will be the next "cool" place to live once Northeast rents are comparable to those of Uptown.
Don't hold your breath. I lived in St Paul for 20 years. Lowertown or Selby and Snelling will be the next Uptown, that is what we were thinking back in 1991. Eventually everybody got tired of waiting and moved to Minneapolis. The people who run St Paul don't want it to be that; they don't want it to be a big city and they don't want it to be cool.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,355,828 times
Quote:

I'd agree that there is a certain Prius Liberal vibe to Linden Hills. I've lived here for almost 20 years and have met a wide range of people. I'd probably say that I'm not sure if I could afford to buy in right now. But, having said that, it is an awesome neighborhood to live--great amenities and there are lots of very nice, involved people.

I like the fact you like your neighborhood, and I'm definitely supportive of the positive changes on the northside. I don't think I've ever criticized your neighborhood. You have no issue promoting the Northside, I don't know why you have a problem with folks "gushing" about SW Mpls.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,276,968 times
Quote:
Don't hold your breath. I lived in St Paul for 20 years. Lowertown or Selby and Snelling will be the next Uptown, that is what we were thinking back in 1991. Eventually everybody got tired of waiting and moved to Minneapolis. The people who run St Paul don't want it to be that; they don't want it to be a big city and they don't want it to be cool.
This. The people who run St Paul don't want these changes because the people who vote for the people who run St Paul don't want changes.

St Paul has been on the cusp of being "the next big thing" for a half century now. Meanwhile the entire eastside rots while the old money NIMBYs and unions didly-daddly and prevent any changes at all to the status quo. But I'm not bitter or anything.

Last edited by MN55; 07-20-2011 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,830,119 times
I think the light rail is the one thing that may be the game changer for St Paul. It won't do anything for the East Side directly, but over time it could turn Frogtown and Midway into true urban neighborhoods and get more people living downtown. That may be the spark that changes people's mentality about how the city is run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul