Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering about this because it seems like Minneapolis always gets recognition for its nightlife, arts scene, neighborhoods, et. while St. Paul seems to get very little recognition for much outside of being the capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm just wondering about this because it seems like Minneapolis always gets recognition for its nightlife, arts scene, neighborhoods, et. while St. Paul seems to get very little recognition for much outside of being the capital.
My prediction is that the neighborhoods bordering University Ave are going to be the new trendy neighborhoods after the light rail is in operation in 2014.

Currently the trendiest neighborhoods in St. Paul are probably the areas around the various universities, like the Highland Park/Merriam Park areas and around Grand Ave.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM

411 posts, read 992,113 times
Lowertown is now their version of NE Minneapolis.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM

345 posts, read 832,954 times
Highland Park and Macalester-Groveland are some of the most beautiful neighborhoods I've ever seen. I wouldn't call any place in St. Paul trendy (maybe Lowertown), but they really are incredible, historic, amazing architecture, Victorian. Along Grand Avenue there are some happening places also.

Minneapolis does have the nightlife, the downtown, and the arts scene. St. Paul has the government, the neighborhoods, and the Xcel Energy Center

Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
St Paul is where you move when you are done with trendy. Which is not to say that St Paul is the antithesis of trendy, it is just very low key.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
St Paul is where you move when you are done with trendy. Which is not to say that St Paul is the antithesis of trendy, it is just very low key.
That seems to be the impression I got. Would you say that it is a more blue collar city in comparison to Minneapolis?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
It is more blue collar, but it isn't entirely blue collar. There are large swathes of the city west of downtown that are full of old mansions and nice houses. There is a lot of old money in St Paul. It is a much more rooted community than Minneapolis.

Also it isn't uncommon for people to live in Minneapolis in their 20s and then move to St Paul when it is time to settle down. If you want to raise a family without leaving the city St Paul is a good place to do it.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
While I don't disagree with your comment, I'd also add that Minneapolis also offers many non-trendy neighborhoods that are great places for families to live, like Linden Hills, Bryn Mawr, Fulton, Lynnhurst, Kingfield,

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
A couple neighborhoods not mentioned that I would consider trendy would be Cathedral Hill and the Arts District. I guess I don't consider Highland Park and Mac-Groveland "trendy" but they are very nice, family friendly, nice ambiance, a few "trendy" shops but lots more non-trendy ones. Similar is St. Anthony Park, between the UM St Paul Campus and the city limits. Depending on your definition of trendy, a couple more neighborhoods come to mind: there are small pockets of gentrification in the Dayton's Bluff and West Side neighborhoods.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Summit Hill/Cathedral Hill, Crocus Hill, Lowertown, and anything within a block or 2 of Grand Avenue could be considered "trendy" in my opinion. A few friends and I have been predicting that Saint Paul will be the next "cool" place to live once Northeast rents are comparable to those of Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul