Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,563,615 times

Advertisements

In Minnesota in construction zones before a lane ends i notice signs that say "Use both lanes during backups".

However. . .
Lets say the right lane is gonna end in this imaginary situation on a 2 lane in each direction highway

I always notice a very long line of cars in the Left lane going between 0-10mph . . . . and a few cars in the right lane going 40-60mph which is a really scary situation

I drive all over the country and i notice situations like this happening in alot of places (Alot in the Mid-West however)

However i notice on the West or East coast people actually use both lanes during backups which is how its suppose to be done because id rather have 2 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic going 25 - 40 mph which lets say its a 6 mile long back up . . . . But if all the cars in the left merge WAYYY before than it could cause double the traffic that would be a 12 mile line long

I drive in MN and notice this alot but i dont understand why they dont use BOTH lanes during backups

Also what do you do if you see this situation happening???

Do you use right lane and risk having some person with anger problems over-reacting at you ? ? ? ?

Or do you just wait in the long line wasting about 20 minutes of your time
? ? ? ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,455,796 times
Minnesotans follow directions too well. They move over early because they think it's the *right* thing to do.

Personally I take the open lane as far as I can. You might get some looks and some honks, but really it's their own fault for being dumb enough to just sit there waiting. I think that's the extent of the overreacting you'll get - and it's totally worth it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Minnesotans follow directions too well. They move over early because they think it's the *right* thing to do.

Personally I take the open lane as far as I can. You might get some looks and some honks, but really it's their own fault for being dumb enough to just sit there waiting. I think that's the extent of the overreacting you'll get - and it's totally worth it.
Yea see that's exactly what i do. It just doesn't feel right for some reason. However i always run into someone who tries to block me from going in front of him which has to cause me to be aggressive and move towards his car to try and scare him away (Works alot actually) better than sitting there looking all stupid i guess

Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,455,796 times
Gotta love all that passive agressive midwestern charm :/

Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,826,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Yea see that's exactly what i do. It just doesn't feel right for some reason. However i always run into someone who tries to block me from going in front of him which has to cause me to be aggressive and move towards his car to try and scare him away (Works alot actually) better than sitting there looking all stupid i guess
East coaster here - I am in the short lane merging - not waiting in line in the other lane. As for the person who tries to block my merging. I can pretty much merge in any situation if I really want to. Sometimes I feel bad - but rarely.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,362,971 times
Minnesota Department of Transportation Zipper Merge
Drivers are not supposed to merge until the last minute.

‪Zipper Merge‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,187,021 times
I think it's polite to yell "Look Out!" as I'm barging in.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,001,542 times
Lots of folks wont let you merge at the last minute...its like cutting in line.

My father had a good idea, he wanted to take all the people off the road at the borders and make them pass a driving test about proper speeds/merging on and off the freeways.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,433,883 times
Or we could force every midwesterner to spend a week on the east coast or in Southern California with a rental car and ask them to drive for a week in order to take a full immersion driving course and understand how nice and stress-free zipper merging works. If we weren't currently leeching billions from our poor schools I'd say LET IT BE DONE!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Lots of folks wont let you merge at the last minute...its like cutting in line.

My father had a good idea, he wanted to take all the people off the road at the borders and make them pass a driving test about proper speeds/merging on and off the freeways.
Your fathers smart. I cant stand being behind someone whose going 50 mph on a freeway entrance ramp when traffic on the freeway is moving at 70 mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul