Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM

13 posts, read 18,974 times

Advertisements

My family has been in MN for a week now. Our move from Cambridge (MA) went smoothly and, though it is hard to leave friends and neighbors there, we are really happy with our new neighborhood in St. Paul. The reception from people when they find out we are "new," has been overwhelmingly welcoming. Things we love already: our neighborhood is very walkable, people are outside, we see lots of people biking, running and walking, we have good bookstores near us, people actually smile at each other when they encounter one another, people patiently wait their turn in line, etc. I could go on and on, but since you all live here I'm sure you get the point. I was out for a walk this morning and discovered a farmer's market in the parking lot of our neighborhood coffee place. Love it! We're already thinking that this neighborhood is where we will want to stay.
One little question: do you all really eat all that fried food on a stick at the state fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
I'm not into all that fried stuff, but the cheese curds are a must for me since I'm a cheese fanatic.

By the way you described your area I assume either Cretin area or maybe Summit? Maybe even Highland.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Glad you're experience so far has been wonderful !
St. Paul is a fantastic city, and we'd love for you to stay in our fantastic state

Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 PM

134 posts, read 338,831 times
Glad your move went well and welcome to St Paul!
The farmer's market you are probably referring to just started last year and is very small- but still offers some good produce and it's great to be able to walk to it. You should also check out the farmer's market in downtown St Paul- on Sat/Sun. It's a little crazy down there this year because of the light rail construction- but still worth checking out sometime.

No, not everyone eats the fried food on a stick and some of us even avoid the fair altogether!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
What area in St. Paul are you living now?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
I'm not in St. Paul itself, but it seems you're having a great time.

We may not all eat all that deep fried food on a stick, but remember it's once a year. It's not the one time you indulge - it's the repeated over and over. I did eat some of it, though not too much. After the cheese curds, I'm more a sucker to Sweet Martha's Cookies. They may be your basic chocolate chip cookies, but I'm in good company when I say I love it (news reported Martha's two outlets there will sell $2.1 million in cookies in 12 days of the Fair!)

Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGolly View Post
My family has been in MN for a week now. Our move from Cambridge (MA) went smoothly and, though it is hard to leave friends and neighbors there, we are really happy with our new neighborhood in St. Paul. The reception from people when they find out we are "new," has been overwhelmingly welcoming. Things we love already: our neighborhood is very walkable, people are outside, we see lots of people biking, running and walking, we have good bookstores near us, people actually smile at each other when they encounter one another, people patiently wait their turn in line, etc. I could go on and on, but since you all live here I'm sure you get the point. I was out for a walk this morning and discovered a farmer's market in the parking lot of our neighborhood coffee place. Love it! We're already thinking that this neighborhood is where we will want to stay.
One little question: do you all really eat all that fried food on a stick at the state fair?
We're new in St Paul as well (from Mpls) & really like it. What neighborhood did you decide on?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
GoodGolly: Welcome to Highland Park! We've been here for years and are still loving it. I agree with Libby, try the Farmer's Market in Downtown St Paul, it's great fun. But another one that is even closer to us in Highland is the Midtown Market at Lake & Hiawatha in Minneapolis. It's smaller scale than the one in Downtown St Paul so less crowded, but has pretty much the same things available, and always has entertainment, too.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
I just noticed her info there upper right she is in fact from HP, you are right. It's possibly the best part of the city, right there by the college strip and all. I don't think the crime is ever high that way either.

GoodGolly, why Minnesota? You know that, even though MA is cold, MN is the coldest in the Union? Being from Mass. though you will probably not even notice a difference.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

GoodGolly, why Minnesota? You know that, even though MA is cold, MN is the coldest in the Union? Being from Mass. though you will probably not even notice a difference.
Last time I checked, Alaska and North Dakota were part of the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul