Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 38,926 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

I posted on here before about applying for a teaching job in Minneapolis. I had decided that maybe teaching high school in MN was a bit too similar to teaching in gang infested Stockton, CA. (knowing that as a teacher new to the area I would not be placed in a choice school) However, I keep coming back to the idea and have decided to just apply for one job. Which is the better district to work for Minneapolis Public Schools or St. Paul Public Schools? They both have openings for my subject.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach123abc View Post
Hello again,

I posted on here before about applying for a teaching job in Minneapolis. I had decided that maybe teaching high school in MN was a bit too similar to teaching in gang infested Stockton, CA. (knowing that as a teacher new to the area I would not be placed in a choice school) However, I keep coming back to the idea and have decided to just apply for one job. Which is the better district to work for Minneapolis Public Schools or St. Paul Public Schools? They both have openings for my subject.

Thanks again.
Neither if you want to get away from issues with low income students....just about any other district in the state would be fine though.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach123abc View Post
Hello again,

Thanks again.
Yes, Minnesota truly is a gangsters paradise. Tucked in between those pristine lakes, forest and bike trails is gang territory. I fear for my life every day walking through the streets of places like Chaska, Waconia and Cathedral Hill.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota spring View Post
yes, minnesota truly is a gangsters paradise. Tucked in between those pristine lakes, forest and bike trails is gang territory. I fear for my life every day walking through the streets of places like chaska, waconia and cathedral hill.

Yeah, gangs are not on my radar at all around Minneapolis or St. Paul. They do exist - every city has them - but I don't see a big problem unless you're into the drug culture.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM

10 posts, read 38,926 times
I know Minnesota is beautiful and has less crime than other states. You don't have to tell me that. I was really asking if there is a difference in high schools between the two districts. As a teacher new to the area, I'm sure I would be put in one of the rougher schools. There is no way I would ever get a school like Southwest or South. I have spent time researching MPS, but don't know much about the high schools for the St. Paul District. Just asking if anyone thought one district was better than the other.

"I fear for my life every day walking through the streets of places like Chaska, Waconia..."

If the high schools in these areas were hiring that would be perfect, but these towns have their own school districts. I'm sure everyone wants to teach there. The districts hiring are Minneapolis Public Schools and St. Paul Public Schools, which seem more inner-city/lower income.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
In all honesty, why only apply to one? If you would even consider either of them, you might as well apply at both and see what it looks like if you are fortunate enough to get an on-site interview. Plus, its not like applying is committing yourself to taking the job.

If you apply to both and get interviews for both, you are doing better than most of us on the job hunt.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Also, just a rough point of reference, since you mentioned Stockton:

City-data Crime Index* (2009/2010/2011):
Stockton: 640/699/680
Minneapolis: 537/540/524
St. Paul: 441/450/417

*higher is worse

Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Neither if you want to get away from issues with low income students....just about any other district in the state would be fine though.
Yes, heaven forbid all those low-income city students...all gangster, I tell ya! But those poor suburban and country kids...perfect angels.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised there are openings but they don't list the school. I assume places like Mpls SW and South and St. Paul Central can attract talent, so they'd want to let people know the openings are at locations like that.

I agree with an above poster who said you might as well apply to both. Your ability to get a great school might be small, but your chances increase if you apply to both positions. What if the opening happens to be at a nice school? I'd think it would be at least as likely you'd be there as you would be a Minneapolis North, if only because enrollment is so small at North that I doubt they even need that many teachers.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 AM

391 posts, read 659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Also, just a rough point of reference, since you mentioned Stockton:

City-data Crime Index* (2009/2010/2011):
Stockton: 640/699/680
Minneapolis: 537/540/524
St. Paul: 441/450/417

*higher is worse
Yeah, I grew up about halfway between Stockton and San Francisco. Stockton has a lot of crime issues. It was also one of the areas hardest hit by the housing bubble - a lot of people who were priced out of the Bay Area bought out there and commuted 1-2 hours.

While MPLS and STPL both have issues in some of their schools, I think they would compare pretty favorably with Stockton.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM

112 posts, read 208,192 times
I know plenty of people who went to ST Paul district public high schools and they certainly are not gangsters. You are coming at it from too broad a point of view. There are going to be good schools and bad schools in each district no matter WHERE they are! Just because people have a higher income does not make them better people. Some of those "richer" school districts have bigger problems than the "inner city" districts do....
But short answer to your question.... I favor St Paul for nearly everything so.... good luck on your job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul